Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[RELEASE] DeeperSpace HUD v1.1

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: [RELEASE] DeeperSpace HUD

Post by Norby »

Astrobe wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:47 pm
Done: DeeperSpace HUD
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

I am working on an update to the HUD, because I have learned how to use setCustomHUDDial... pretty interesting stuff.

The first thing I did was to tweak the speed meter, which will now display speed in m/s with one floating point, for example 210.7 m/s, and if you are on Torus, you're told so too. I'm thinking of another custom dial that shows actual Torus speed.

javirodriguez
Competent
Competent

Post by javirodriguez »

Hi!, congratulations!, it's a great job, the only minor issue is that it takes up too much space on the screen, especially if you are using some MFD.
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

javirodriguez wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:55 am
Hi!, congratulations!, it's a great job, the only minor issue is that it takes up too much space on the screen, especially if you are using some MFD.
Thanks!

It is based on the DeepSpace HUD after all, which had similar screen space "consumption", so... even that is true to the original ;)
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

I'm working on an enhancement to the HUD, of which I'm thinking of maybe making it a purchasable item (but this would only work with my HUD). It basically renders out information about the current system in the top left corner all the time, plus, it shows you the current nearest entity. It does so by calculating the distance to every entity in space, and then display that info.

Security is based on the political situation such as Democracy which has a number, and multiply that by 0.125 - since we have 8 ideologies. Interstellar space sets that value to 0. The higher that value, the "safer" the system *might* be.

It's not yet complete, it's missing travel info such as your next jump and how much time that will take (it's accessing route information).

Here's how it looks so far:

Last edited by pleiadian on Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

A nice idea, but I think "Security" might be more immediately comprehensible if it was called something like "Threat Level", and would be better expressed verbally than by a number, e.g.

Low
Moderate
Substantial
Severe
Critical

(Nicked from MI5's terrorism threat levels.)

Might it be worth factoring in the amount of traffic in the system to the calculation, too? A Feudal system with very few ships in it is probably safer than a busy Dictatorship.
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

I followed your advise and I'm now perfrorming a risk analysis based on the number of total ships, and how many of those are pirates, Thargoid and police. It is levelled in the five ratings you posted.

// EDIT:
I found out that I need to factor in the fact whether or not one of the mentioned ships is in space or not (isInSpace), to get a more realistic rating of the threat level. A docked ship, or in a wormhole is not an immediate threat. It should be noted that the "risk monitor" updates in real time as it happens.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Just counting ships with certain roles is pretty close to cheating in my book. I would instead try to find some nice way of predicting the threat value (based on the government, neighbouring system and such). Just to keep things fair. Overall not a bat idea though.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Maybe make a special rating for interstellar space, just to ram home the wrongness of it all? Something like

++UNKNOWN++

or

++NO DATA++

or even just

++ERROR++
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

Almost finished 1.1 version with Risk Assessment and travel info (from my "live" system with my real commander):

(Click for full size)

[url=http://www.marcus-s.de/oolite/img/board/oolite-042.png]
Last edited by pleiadian on Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Looks great! Just why do you use line breaks between label and value in the section about next system, distance, etc.? I'd keep it on one line, just like in the section above.
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

maik wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:13 am
Looks great! Just why do you use line breaks between label and value in the section about next system, distance, etc.? I'd keep it on one line, just like in the section above.
Like I said... almost finished ;) This was basically to see if it works or not. The route info disappears when no destination is set.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

8)

Looking forward to the finished version!
ha-jo
Harmless
Harmless

Post by ha-jo »

pleiadian wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:24 pm
Almost finished 1.1 version with Risk Assessment and travel info (from my "live" system with my real commander):

(Click for full size)

Great work, I am waiting for the finished HUD, will use it with some ships, best wishes
ha-jo
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

OK so... the risk assessment has changed a bit. It now only assesses the ships near you, not in the entire system. And based on what is found, the "threat" level is then adjusted. This still leaves an important strategic aspect of the game intact. Since the scanner is already showing you what's happening near you in a 25km radius, the Risk Assessment uses the same radius. It's called "Current Risk".

There's still a small bug left having to do with the display of the next system on your route.

I should mention that the display of your destination and next system on your route are dependent on you having the Advanced Navigational Array installed.
Last edited by pleiadian on Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.