[WIP] Diplomancy OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Diplomacy OXP

Post by Day »

:oops: The oxz doesn't work: when compressing the archive, the js scripts weren't included :shock:

This means the 0.1 version is lost. As soon I've finished the 0.2 version, I'll post it.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Maybe in wartime there could be related missions, e.g. the government wants you to you unload all cargo (including gems etc.!) and transport a hold full of weapons / soldiers / whatever to a war zone - you'll be paid well, but it's dangerous, your cargo contracts just went up in smoke, and if you don't agree you're fined heavily.
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

ffutures wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:46 pm
Maybe in wartime there could be related missions, e.g. the government wants you to you unload all cargo (including gems etc.!) and transport a hold full of weapons / soldiers / whatever to a war zone - you'll be paid well, but it's dangerous, your cargo contracts just went up in smoke, and if you don't agree you're fined heavily.
Totally :-)

This means I should have an indicator "Ongoing war in this system" :twisted:
so that other oxps may act accordingly :mrgreen:
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Day wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:39 am
Astrobe wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:25 am
When does a "turn" happen?
Hi Astrobe,
currently each jump.
In the 0.2 version, it's a little bit more complex:
each jump, each 'actor' has its 'recurrent actions' processed; these actions may generate 'events', to which other actors may 'respond'. All of these things are done progressively, one at a time, each 10 frames when in-station.

If a jump occurs when all these actions aren't yet finished, then that jump's action will be done after these are finished.

That history happens while in-station, one frame in ten, is done to minimize the impact on the game playability.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

This may be a little late in the day to suggest this, but it might make things a bit easier - at least by reducing the number of separate system events - if instead of all the individual systems being separate actors, you split each galaxy into a number of territories, perhaps using ClymAngus's maps. If you've got alliances in there already, this might not be too difficult to do: just make all worlds within one region (e.g. the Iron Stars) part of the same alliance. There would still be independent worlds out there, with their own diplomatic relationships, but it might be easier for the game (and the player) to handle interactions when there are only 6 to 12 major actors per galaxy.
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Disembodied wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:53 am
instead of all the individual systems being separate actors, you split each galaxy into a number of territories, perhaps using ClymAngus's maps. If you've got alliances in there already, this might not be too difficult to do: just make all worlds within one region (e.g. the Iron Stars) part of the same alliance.
Thank you, Disembodied :-)
You're right onto the spot. At the same time I'm debugging my "one action each 10 frames" engine, I'm designing the scoring system allowing to define the relationships between neighbouring systems.

I wondered where I could find those regions. Are they officially defined in the code? In some oxp?

I've the same question for commercial roads: are they officially defined in the code? In some oxp?
Disembodied wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:53 am
it might be easier for the game (and the player) to handle interactions when there are only 6 to 12 major actors per galaxy.
2 different issues there.

Concerning the game, I specifically wanted to make an oxp in the spririt of the open Oolite: everything happens, not depending on the player. And I don't want to pre-define major players. I'd like them to emerge, from the predefined constants of Oolite, from some cold rules, from some other oxps, and maybe from some player actions.

Concerning the player, well, when I'll make the "news" part, I'll restrict the quantity of news. I don't want the player overwhelmed by news insignificant to him.

On a related note, if I were to design a real news system for a galaxy, there would be a delay in news propagation (something around: Sum on a road between 2 systems of ((period of max release delay) + (travel time between 2 intermediary systems)).
I wonder if this would be a useful game mechanism. I can't see how, currently. Maybe to avoid perfect planification by the player.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Day wrote:
I wondered where I could find those regions. Are they officially defined in the code? In some oxp?

I've the same question for commercial roads: are they officially defined in the code? In some oxp?
Good question … I'm sure I've seen the spacelanes, at least, in the game - but I can't any more, and I have a vague feeling that this might have been a casualty of the zoomable map.

The vector maps themselves are all still available - links here:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=6053
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<nods> Disabled in BGS due, as you say, to the zoomable map.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Cody wrote:
It's always a relief to find out that I didn't just dream something! :) Still, though, that might mean that the data to identify the routes/regions is in BGS somewhere …
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Ok, so not usable directly from the code at this time, if I understand well?

Another point as I'm currently hitting a snag: when saving to missionVariables through JSON.stringify'cation, I use more time than allowed :-(

Would someone have an idea / a solution before I implement a partial save each time there's a modification?
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Disembodied wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:12 pm
Cody wrote:
that might mean that the data to identify the routes/regions is in BGS somewhere …
Thank you, I'll look :p
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

I put all the regions and routes in the GalCop Galactic Registry http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/GalCop ... c_Registry
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

phkb wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:07 pm
I put all the regions and routes in the GalCop Galactic Registry http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/GalCop ... c_Registry
Thank you, phkb :-)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

cims [EliteWiki] New Cargoes (cargotyperegional.js) contains the data as well. If I recall it right it uses the integer notation, which may be more suitable for your needs than the old BGS versions (floats).
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Svengali wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:08 pm
cims [EliteWiki] New Cargoes (cargotyperegional.js) contains the data as well. If I recall it right it uses the integer notation, which may be more suitable for your needs than the old BGS versions (floats).
Thank you Svengali :p

This means I'll have to check which is better for my needs.
I wonder if there are some useful war cargoes that I could implement ^^ ?