[WIP] Diplomancy OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: [WIP] Diplomancy OXP

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:58 am
Any chance of explaining how it differs from the previous?
It was an official release of the bug fix I shared with you. Day put the code into his main codebase and re-released.

So I never heard precisely what's going on in the bug-fixed version. Are you saying that, while declarations of war have stopped repeating ad-infinitum, something else is happening?
phkb

Post by phkb »

I've been playing around with this, and one thing I note is that the engine can take *quite* a while to do all it's processing. I just sped things up to force things through faster, and Tionisla declared war on Zaalela and Xeesle.

*BUT* It's important to note when all these changes will happen. After you start a game (new, or loaded from save), all the checking for new wars, alliances, etc will only happen when you jump to a new system and dock somewhere. And then you have to wait for the process to finish (which can take quite a while).

Edit to add: When I say "you have to wait", the engine is doing everything in the background, so it's not interfering with gameplay. It's just that, for all the war declarations, new alliances, broken alliances, etc, to be completed, the background process has to run for a long time. If you regularly jump into a system, get to the station, buy/sell/etc, save and launch, you are very likely not giving the engine enough time to complete. I haven't investigated what happens over multiple jumps, and whether the backlog of events to process just keeps getting longer. I'll report further when I have more info.

To speed things up, I made this change. Around line 706 in the "DayDiplomacy_Engine.js" file, you should see this:

Code: Select all

if (this._frame = ((this._frame || 0) + 1) % 10) { // One action each 10 frames
I changed it to this:

Code: Select all

if (this._frame = ((this._frame || 0) + 1) % 3) { // One action each 3 frames
Everything still felt responsive at that speed, but YMMV. Anyway, wait a few minutes after you jump to a new system and dock with that new setting, and things might start progressing.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

I'm sorry. I misunderstood what you meant when you initially allowed me sight of your fix. I'd assumed that you had disabled the dynamism of war/peace declarations, so that nothing now changed during gameplay.

My fault. :oops:
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

What I've seen so far of the dynamism in-game seems based on politics. Commie states ally together, that sort of thing.

I don't understand the code.

Species?
Can I ask: what about species? Are feline and rodent systems more likely to war on each other? Or lobstoid and humans?

Dictatorships?
What about the relationship between the Agricultural Juntas and the Imperial Industrials?

Feudal States?
And in his excellent .pdf background to the Feudal States OXP, Ramirez had the Feudals originally allied, then warring with each other and now currently in a fragile truce with sporadic outbreaks of violence:
For several years, the different Feudal states supported each other, eager to present a united front to other governments. But as the ranks of knights swelled, the Feudal States became ever more aggressive in character and friendly rivalry often led to war. Unable to challenge the military authority of the more established governments, the Feudal States turned upon each other in a bid to achieve supremacy.

The Feudal Wars, as the conflicts became known, were small, localised affairs and had little impact on the galaxy as a whole, although many dealers in other systems made their fortune by supplying arms and equipment to the belligerent states. Only when fighting spilled over into a nearby Democratic system, resulting in the accidental destruction of a passing freighter convoy, did the Galactic Cooperation act to put an end to the conflict. A ceasefire was enforced, the terms of which included a general embargo on the supply of offensive weapons by members of the Cooperation to any of the Feudal States.

The ceasefire remains in force today, however it is an uneasy truce and hostilities have recently resumed, with the feudal houses mounting frequent raids against each other’s trade convoys and even capturing high-ranking nobles for ransom. So long as any violence is contained within Feudal borders and does not endanger the lives of visitors, GalCop has tended to turn a blind eye to most inter-house conflict and police patrols do not venture far from the main space stations.

(lifted from his .pdf)
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:19 am
Can I ask: what about species? Are feline and rodent systems more likely to war on each other? Or lobstoid and humans?
I'm not sure what rules govern the war/peace/alliance changes.
Cholmondely wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:19 am
I don't understand the code.
To be completely honest, I'm not sure I do either! It's pretty complex in its workings.