JB WIP thread: several ships

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

JB WIP thread: several ships

Post by jackiebean »

Here is a taste of some of the older ships i plan on Remodeling eventually. (Crosses fingers they will be released soon)

jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: JB WIP thread: several ships

Post by jackiebean »

My take on the PythonCCv (superpython?)

jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jackiebean »

Redspear wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:52 am
Liking both of those. Elegant.
Thanks. Since you popped in Redspear, i may have some questions for you. I have been tinkering a lot with importing every Ship that can convert to OBJ, and do that to get a really good feel for the overall style. Griff, Neo, Staer9, and a few others ships seem to have about the same overall look to them, so that is kind of what i was trying to go for with these models.

I am noticing a lot of the larger vessels and stations are way bigger than Blender will attempt to render (outside the grid and way outside the render bounds, i guess render is a bad word for it? but it looks more like a cutaway on the really big ones) looked at the scaling thread a bit but will have to go back to it since it seems more like a chicken and the egg debate. But anyway, since you are a veteran, is there anything one should know prior to messing about in these? (Maybe better for a PM)

I like model building a lot, and have been doing it for about 10 years as an amateur (give or take?) But usually what stops me cold from releasing things is nothing short of a mini disaster (like uploading over 300 ships to a mod FTP server only to have someone accidentally "flush" them) ... doubt that will get repeated here, and nothing that disastrous has occurred since, but anyway.

I'm a different type of modder (not real big on the "you better give me attribution or else" ticket) cause it is not like we are getting paid anyway, but since i already do these as a way of "escaping" from neighbors and unwinding, might as well get some use out of them. Not much of a gamer any more, but others still are. If they get enjoyment from it then mission accomplished.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Fantastic work on those ships jackiebean, really cool stuff, very imgainative and nicely detailed.

The Oolite stations etc are quite a bit bigger than the ships, here's a shot of a cobra (white wireframe) against a coriolis station (black wireframe)

the cutaway effect you're seeing in blender when viewing the bigger objects sounds like the viewport camera might be inside the object causing some 'clipping' to happen, does blender have a 'fit all to viewport' or a 'fit selected to viewport' command? or failing that any keys to adjust the grid size so that 1 square is 100m or something like that?
jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jackiebean »

Griff wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:50 pm
Fantastic work on those ships jackiebean, really cool stuff, very imgainative and nicely detailed.

The Oolite stations etc are quite a bit bigger than the ships, here's a shot of a cobra (white wireframe) against a coriolis station (black wireframe)

the cutaway effect you're seeing in blender when viewing the bigger objects sounds like the viewport camera might be inside the object causing some 'clipping' to happen, does blender have a 'fit all to viewport' or a 'fit selected to viewport' command? or failing that any keys to adjust the grid size so that 1 square is 100m or something like that?
Thanks Griff. Hopefully i can make these live up to the standard you set for the core ships.

I think i understand what you mean by clipping, so i may be able to fix that with the camera, or may just have to set the measurements so i can work small and then resize things. Not sure if there is a fit all to window function like in 3dsmax. Still have to find out. Been using blender steadily now for almost a year (before that it was 3dsmax) So i have much to learn about it. It is different, a lot. But since i don't really have a choice any more, i had to dive in.

don't mind the stations being that big, but i wanted to tackle a few remakes and maybe add a few capital/tanker/heavy hauler varieties. Some will be replacers, and some will be completely new. So sizing will be important. I lucked out with the AA freighter, but a few others are going to be a headache to get right.

Still need to organize which are which at this point, but have looked at most of the ships in the very least.

Can't wait to put those Tiger teeth on that Python CCv. That is the whole reason tackling that one.

here's the Ball Turret. at least the non thargoid standard type.

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

jackiebean wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:02 pm
Since you popped in Redspear, i may have some questions for you.
I'm a bit late here but you're in good hands with Griff who can probably answer such questions much better than I can (especially as I've never used blender)...

If you do have any more questions then please don't be shy about asking, someone will probably answer them eventually :wink:

Meanwhile, keep up the good work :)
jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jackiebean »

thanks Redspear. Already on it.

here are a few more renders for everyone

jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jackiebean »

More ships. Keep in mind these are simply new versions of some older ships i really liked and wanted to see in the game again along side the most up to date models, so i cant really take a whole lot of credit for originating them, since they are based on the designs of other oolite ship modelers. lets see if any can guess the names of the original models these were based on (some have clues in the screenshot).

And also a few accessories (not sure if those are necessary but i did them anyway)

Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rustem »

Excellent work!
It would be great to :
1) Update the Torus station
2) and the Kiota station, maintaining the appearance of principle(populator). But add more variation in design depending on the government. For example, a solar station in communist has simple design, while in a corp. systems more high-tech and rich designs.
jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jackiebean »

Rustem wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:21 am
Excellent work!
It would be great to :
1) Update the Torus station
2) and the Kiota station, maintaining the appearance of principle(populator). But add more variation in design depending on the government. For example, a solar station in communist has simple design, while in a corp. systems more high-tech and rich designs.
Thanks,

Not sure which torus to update. But i will look at more stations. Kiota is on the To-do list, but i will have to enlist the help of some who are more familiar with the scripting required to get "modular" stations like that to work in game as you suggested, but i do like that idea. I also like the idea of a more battered/used appearance for some factions (like communist or pirate)

I am also going to try and make some new faction logos, and so far i have managed to make one for the galactic navy, but it is a 3d model that has to be converted to something i can use in gimp as a brush. i like the idea of making them simple, but obviously something from the future as opposed to something that looks better suited on cold war military vehicles. Not knocking the previous logos or anything, just like to add to the immersion factor.

once i get to the texture phase of the models then those will be visible.
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

They all look really nice.
jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jackiebean »

Thanks tsoj, love the "pigs in space" avatar!
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

These are excellent designs, I am really looking forward to encountering these Ships, Missiles and Stations In game :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jackiebean »

Thanks Duggan. Huge update.

Some ships and stations.

Galactic Navy logo.

Ships:

Torus Station

And something i am still working on... Kiota!

That's only the ones with hab rings. The others are going to take a little while longer.