Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

OXP Recovering (It'll be good if you stick this thread, it'll be useful)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: OXP Recovering (It'll be good if you stick this thread, it'll be useful)

Post by Smivs »

There is no reason not to archive old licenced OXPs, and indeed this would be a positive move as they do risk being 'lost' if their authors no longer wish to host them. One solution might be if a member offered to become the custodian of them and was prepared to put the effort in to compiling the archive. Potentially the Wiki server could be used for this after some discussion and negotiation with the Admin team.
The un-licenced ones are effectively already lost and should mostly be ignored.
Ideally it would be useful if somebody could go through the whole OXP list sometime. It has been a long time since this was done and the whole list is probably now getting a bit out of date. I don't think much effort goes into it these days as the Manager is the principal source of handling OXPs and the list has lost the importance it once had. Managed Add Ons (OXZs) are no problem of course, and those older OXPs which are licenced but not released as OXZs should be both listed and preserved, but it might be time to gather up the un-licenced ones and either remove them from the list entirely or list them separately with suitable warnings attached.
But this would be a huge amount of work, with little practical benefit, so is unlikely to happen, although perhaps it is time to do something about those un-licenced ones.
@Nexus-Hex
There are a few things you could try if you are that keen to try to save these.
List all the un-licenced OXPs here and see if members have a version of them. In the early days I think many versions were often released but version-numbering etc could be a bit slack (or even absent). What I'm thinking is that somewhere out there, somebody may have a version which does have a licence attached, and that's all you need.
Try to contact the author via PM. Many will have been absent for years and I wouldn't expect to have a lot of success here but you may get a response.
Search the Board and see if the OXP has a forum thread. There may be some comment from the author somewhere which effectively attributes a licence to the OXP. For example if they said "Anyone can do what they like with this OXP" in a post, I suspect that would be sufficient in legal terms to allow it to be archived/re-distributed etc. Also making a post on the thread could alert the author, as many have an automatic alert set up so they know when one of their OXP threads has a post made.

P.S. It might make sense to re-name this thread to something like 'Old and lost OXPs - can they be saved?'
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.