Dictators 2.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Re: Dictators 2.0

Post by Old Murgh »

Alucard wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:42 pm
Where can I get earlier versions of the OXP, after installing the latest update every time I try to land a Cobra IV on a Astro Factory using the Docking Computer the Ship Crashes (i.e. the ship gets destroyed)
You can get the wiki to expose some earlier versions that have been available on the expansion manager. I think this should list them.
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Alternatively you can download the updated version of the IMPERIAL ASTROFACTORY and see if that solves the problem. Do not dock at them often and when doing so it is always manually so your mileage may vary.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Alucard wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:42 pm
Where can I get earlier versions of the OXP, after installing the latest update every time I try to land a Cobra IV on a Astro Factory using the Docking Computer the Ship Crashes (i.e. the ship gets destroyed)
Did you solve your problem? And any idea as to why it was happening?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:53 am
Holy Temple (based on G-Z1 Tetrahedron Depot from spara/Griff)

The Church of the Holy Witchspace Guard (HWG):

government: the church acts as the religious, political and military leader
new commodity: religious artifacts (good luck charms and protection chants)
new station: high temple

The centers of the church could be found in many systems, not only providing spiritual support but different levels of education as well. Furthermore quite a number of local influential organizations and persons employ members of the church as advisers. Therefore the church is well respected in most systems, the exception are communists who basically hate (and fear) them for their influence.

The military order of the church serves as Navy and, in cooperation with GalCop, as police as well. They are known to have experienced pilots. Currently their crafts of choice are the Kingsnake Gamma and the Kingsnake Delta. While this ships look alike a well known prototype of the Galactic Navy they are merely better armed Vipers.

There are rumors that the officers of the order have mental powers to intervene the equipment of their enemy ships. If this kind of PSI really exists or if its just and advanced technology nobody knows. However, there are only stories at late hours in a Seedy Space Bar, no proof ever was found.
Just wanting to expand on this so that I can include details of the individual orbital station temples for LitF
For comment:

Geography:

Leleer: 0:2 - Dictatorship, Mainly Ind. Pop. 3.5 B, Prod. 13720 MCr. HC: 7, TL: 8, Human Colonials.
The world Leleer is very noted for its pink Leleerian Er plant plantations but beset by frequent civil war.

Veis: 0:81 - Dictatorship, Mainly Ind. Pop. 3.1 B, Prod. 12152 MCr. HC: 3, TL: 7, Human Colonials.
The planet Veis is a boring world.

Atrienxe: 0:88 - Dictatorship, Mainly Ind. Pop. 3.9 B, Prod. 15288 MCr. HC: 7, TL: 9, Human Colonials.
Atrienxe is an unremarkable dump.

Atage: 0:103 - Dictatorship, Mainly Ind. Pop. 3.9 B, Prod. 15288 MCr. HC: 4, TL: 9, Red Bug-Eyed Lizards.
Atage is an unremarkable planet.

Tiquat: 0:231 - Dictatorship, Mainly Ind. Pop. 4.3 B, Prod. 16856 MCr. HC: 8, TL: 10, Red Fat Insects.
This world is reasonably well known for its great parking meters but cursed by unpredictable earthquakes.

As well as these five systems, there are also a number of independent countries on dis-unified planets (eg. Confederacies, Multi-Governments & Anarchies, and a handful of Duchies/Baronies on Feudal Systems who identify with the Church - not to mention individual worshippers in the democracies and feudal systems.

Theology

The Church is devoted to purity - the purity of the worshippers and the purity of Witchspace. To be pure one must know what purity is and how to attain it - hence the emphasis on education. In the religious academies this leads on to education in religious dogma to convert the ignorant, and in some academies to tutoring in space combat against the Thargoids. The Thargoids pollute space with their peculiar space drives and must be eradicated. It is rumoured that the temple at Veis is collecting data about Thargoid appearances in order to predict future incursions.

The inner sancta of the Temples are naturally only open to those who are pure. Purification for a service involves ritual bathing, censoring with incense, prayers and silent meditation.

Since the expertise in fighting against the Thargoids also translates into fighting against pirates - or other invading systems, the church advisors to other system governments are usually there in a military guise.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:24 pm
The Thargoids pollute space with their peculiar space drives and must be eradicated.
That is exactly the Thargoids opinion of us, I suspect.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:53 am
Holy Temple (based on G-Z1 Tetrahedron Depot from spara/Griff)
Montana, are you happy with this individuation of the local orbital stations at your planets? And would you like to add anything?

Theocracy: Church of the Holy Witchspace Guard (Mainly Industrial)

High Temples (converted Tetrahedra), Orders Squire, Orders Knight, Orders Paladin. Church Cleric Craft, Church Pilgrim Ships.

Station architecture
•Station includes an Execution chamber for disposing of the regime's enemies - under a lens massively magnifying the rays of the sun - they go up in a puff of smoke!
•Station includes a Cathedral with a Courtyard for public addresses (rallying the people).
•A number of the businesses are owned by the church.
•Shops selling religious artefacts (for purification for services, for pilgrimages, icons for the home, etc.)
•Censored bookshops
•Screens in public places blaring out agitprop. Possible billboards of the High Priest (there are 100+ little images hidden inside Library.oxp)
•The only churches are HWG - others are hidden away and will have the Inquisition on guard outside!

Encounters
Same as commies. Note that there are police and the inquisition.

Events
Acclamation of the High Priest in the Cathedral Courtyard and over station Tannoy/Political march (in approval of the wonderful Church-against local evil system-against evil heretics-against heretical GalCop-against letting in foreigners)/Public Execution/"Pilgrimages")
Some of this might better wait until putative integration with Diplomancy OXP which creates wars/alliance

For the missing commies encounters details see here, which has links to details of the docking experience.

I'd like to add some of this in even if HWG never gets published as it will add flavour to the Feudal and other orbital stations.
Comments wanted:
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Next version is in the oven. One thing I’m adding is an option to disable the custom Vipers, allowing standard GalCop Vipers to spawn in as they would in any other system. I’ve heard some people feel that replacing GalCop Vipers with ships aligned with the system government would be counter to what GalCop would want in they’re maintaining a main station orbital. However, I think it could be quite easily justified as a condition of the systems contract with GalCop - GalCop operates and mans the station, but the system provides the security force.

Not everyone feels that way, so I’m adding the option to turn them off.

While this OXP provides a bit of eye candy, it doesn’t change anything in how the system “feels”. Based on how a dictatorship would operate, what things could the player see while in the system that would reinforce the reality of where they are? In my experience, in a sandbox type of game, environmental storytelling has the greatest impact. What sort of things could be shown to the player that again would make it clear this is a dictatorship?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

phkb wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:01 am
Next version is in the oven. One thing I’m adding is an option to disable the custom Vipers, allowing standard GalCop Vipers to spawn in as they would in any other system. I’ve heard some people feel that replacing GalCop Vipers with ships aligned with the system government would be counter to what GalCop would want in they’re maintaining a main station orbital. However, I think it could be quite easily justified as a condition of the systems contract with GalCop - GalCop operates and mans the station, but the system provides the security force.

Not everyone feels that way, so I’m adding the option to turn them off.

While this OXP provides a bit of eye candy, it doesn’t change anything in how the system “feels”. Based on how a dictatorship would operate, what things could the player see while in the system that would reinforce the reality of where they are? In my experience, in a sandbox type of game, environmental storytelling has the greatest impact. What sort of things could be shown to the player that again would make it clear this is a dictatorship?
Parades !
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

cbr wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am
Parades !
Along the main space lane, or around the planet, do you think?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

phkb wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:42 am
Along the main space lane, or around the planet, do you think?
When entering the system --> space lane

When leaving the station --> planet

Chance?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Dictatorial parades could include the Kraits and ASP mk IIs as dictators would have such ships in their fleet, as would an golden ASP mk II ofcourse :wink:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:01 am
Parades sound like fun... and if they get sorted out then they might be introduced into HIMSN too! (Gimi's stage 2)

But in terms of sheer nastiness, I remember my reactions on seeing the Black Monks beat up on a debtor.

How about the dictatorship "police" turning on one or two other ships and "blowing them out of the water"? With curses and imprecations from their side and either bluster or begging from the other.

"Vile insurgent - here, take what is coming to you"/"Blasted rebel - I'm going to _really_ blast you!"/"Traitor! Prepare to die!"

How about having to wait in a "visa queue" before docking - and having to answer questions about where one has been and what one has on board and does one know anybody in the system or have a package for them? And similar gubbins for landing on the planet... with a need to buy a visa on the station. ...And see someone else in the visa queue being arrested or attacked or forced to flee.

(I was just reading about how Tim Loughton was "arrested" for 7 hours in Tanzania for his ciriticisms of China)

If LitF was up and running, one could be shown somebody being arrested and then beaten up on the station. Or be personally approached by somebody desperate to get out and free... (another Amnesty job...)

And this sort of stuff should probably also go in "Commies", too.
Comments wanted: