Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Petition supporting EU citizenship for Brits after Brexit.

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Petition supporting EU citizenship for Brits after Brexit.

Post by Smivs »

My petition has been rejected as it duplicates another petition - somebody else got in first :)
If you are a Brit who wants to keep their EU citizenship, you can sign here.

ORIGINAL POST:-
Hi all,
I have decided to petition Parliament in support of moves towards offering Associate EU citizenship to British nationals post-brexit. This will protect the rights of Brits to move freely around Europe.
I disagree strongly with Brexit, but accept that it will happen and this is not intended to thwart or disrupt that at all, merely to ensure that, as individuals, we can retain a very useful benefit that EU citizenship currently offers.
My petition reads
British Nationals should be able to retain their EU citizenship after 'Brexit'.
The petition needs five sponsors, so I am asking everybody I know if they would be happy to support this.
<link deleted>

Edited to update situation.
Last edited by Smivs on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Sponsor my petition!

Post by Cody »

Already underway, ain't it?
The European Parliament's top Brexit negotiator says he plans to fast-track a proposal to offer UK nationals "associate EU citizenship".
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yes, which is why I think we need this petition now.
A scheme like this will probably require the co-operation and even consent of the UK government. The government is likely to disapprove of this as it might offend the sensibilities of hard-core brexiters whose narrow-minded view of the world would lead them to see it as some sort of Europe by the back door. Politicians of all persuasions are currently running scared and seem terrified of saying or doing anything that might upset the more extreme end of the 'leave' camp.
A strong petition in advance of the triggering of Article 50 would leave the Government in no doubt that this is an issue that concerns an awful lot of people. As it is an issue which will have no real-world impact on brexit, they would be much more likely to view it favourably. This is a move which offers a meaningful concession to those with good reason to want to keep these benefits without compromising the move to leave Europe.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

My petition now has its five sponsors, and is being checked for compliance with the Petition Standards. It should go 'live' within the next week.
Many thanks to my sponsors, and to everyone who has offered their support.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Well, it looks like somebody beat me to it, and my petition has been rejected on the grounds of duplication.
I still think mine had a snappier title, but this one was first and it deserves support.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/133603
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Petition supporting EU citizenship for Brits after Brexit.

Post by ClymAngus »

This is a capital idea and a great way of separating the social wheat from the anti-social isolationist chaff.
Sorry to be blunt but months down the line I'm still feeling quite militant about this:
"We're out, suck it up and get on board." To whit my reply is usually: "Sorry mate, steerage class on the Titanic ain't my style. Secondly..... Make me."
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

as a British citizen with a passport, but living in Australia i wonder where this leaves me?
as a permanent resident since 1967 there really hasnt been a downside to still retaining my citizenship and the up side was when i went on holiday i didnt need to worry about visas etc or immigration...
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Cody

Post by Cody »

ClymAngus wrote:
... anti-social isolationist chaff.
<chortles>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

There is also a parallel petition on change.org here for any serial petitioners out there.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

spud42 wrote:
as a British citizen with a passport, but living in Australia i wonder where this leaves me?
as a permanent resident since 1967 there really hasnt been a downside to still retaining my citizenship and the up side was when i went on holiday i didnt need to worry about visas etc or immigration...
Join the club mate, I married possibly the most beautiful and intelligent Australian that country had to offer. I'm mightily surprised that their countries special forced aren't trying to kidnap her back from a backward win-gin pommie like me. The UK (if it stays the UK which I have my doubts about that) wants to cut itself off and why? A few people have seen a profit opportunity inherent in upsetting the status quo. And convinced the absolutely TERRIFIED British public that it's a good idea.

This is what I hate about the idea of "Project Fear" as the brexiteers coined it. Drawing up the drawbridge and dropping the portcullis is NOT the act of a confident ruler. It is the act conducted when you feel besieged. Yet THAT was the stance suggested by the leave campaign to FIGHT fear!

They made valor=fear and fear=valor. Doing a grotesque disservice to humanity in the process. I'm worried that a generation will grow up (maybe two or three) who will have a hard, opportunity sparse live and will come to hate their great grand parents for the choices they made. Then, they'll fix it.

This is not forever. But for a human to take a stand they must grow up with the PAIN of their fathers and mothers decisions, turn it into rebellion and run with it.

I will be alive on that shining day because it will come.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

I discovered this thread too late to sign the petition. It expired - as all the petitions after six months, apparently. It gathered nine thousand signatures. I suspect that had it been more widely publicised, it would have gathered more. Anyway, well done to Smivs for his original petition.