Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

After a Cobra MkIII, what ship?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

iperich
Dangerous
Dangerous

After a Cobra MkIII, what ship?

Post by iperich »

Hi, Commanders. I'm very glad to say that for the first time in my Oolite story I have enough money to buy a good new ship and the best equipment for it. I've done a lot of jobs, started buying and selling stuff, then Bounty Hunter, then carrying passengers, etc, so I'm open to anything... I'm in Galaxy 3 right now, and I have every single mission OXP installed, so I think that cool things are coming. I want to buy a new ship, get into Galaxy 4 and see what happens. I'm wanting a "thougher" ship, I'm ok with the weapons I have now but I would like to have more shields or something, more energy units, more missiles capacity. I don't care about the cargo, I thing with a passenger berth I will be ok and I think don't need to carry too much cargo anymore. And faster than the Cobra, hopefully...

I put my eyes on an Arafura, cool ship but a little slower than I would like, and the Wolf MkII. I looked ships in the wiki also, but there are so many of them...

So, I would like by your experiences what could I try... any advices?
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk"
(Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez)
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: After a Cobra MkIII, what ship?

Post by phkb »

I'm finding a Python ET a good step up from a Cobra MkIII.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

The Wolf Mk II is expensive, but a fine ship … it's compact too, so you don't find yourself presenting a bigger target to your opponents.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Sonoran is a nice ship with very low front profile, only 9m tall (less than an Adder).
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

If you don't mind looking silly, the DTT Planet Express ship is extremely fast and ridiculously cheap, only 100K credits, and cargo capacity can be expanded to 45 tons, which is big enough to build up a carrier reputation. Main disadvantage is that it isn't a particularly good gun platform. I found it an excellent courier ship, a useful stepping stone for building up money quickly.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/D.T.T. ... ip_Designs
Runghold
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Runghold »

I bought a Dark Rainbow, an improved version of the Caduceus Omega.
It has 16 pylons, eight energy banks and - if a NEU is fitted - its energy recharge rate is higher than the energy used by the cloaking device. So you basically can stay cloaked as long as you want. It has an included self repair system for broken equipment and is way faster than the cobra MKIII too.
The OXPs are available from the addon manager.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Yeah, The Dark Rainbow. I can't be too down on it because to be so, is against the ethos of oolite itself. Play, hack, adapt. The played game is not the entire game, the concept is. You start playing one, get annoyed by bits of it then begin the "master add on game".

It is uber, mind you the caddy was uber to start with.... Despite understandable (and completely acceptable) criticisms some people still like them. (Drew liked them so much, he wrote one in then promptly blew the s**t out of it). I hope to give the world some more fiction on the subject soon.

Anyway, yes the rainbow takes my uber and straps a rocket on it and points it towards the moon. It's not necessarily what I would have done but I will defend unto death the makers right to have made it, and for others to enjoy the variant. :D
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Some time ago I traded down (just slightly) to the Cobra 3. Then I took her to PHKB's [EliteWiki] Ship Configuration garage. There I had them upgrade the shields, engines, and energy plant at the cost of cargo space. Trading is secondary to my career as a courier. Still the best 'Hunk of Junk' in the eight.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

CaptSolo wrote:
Trading is secondary to my career as a courier. Still the best 'Hunk of Junk' in the eight.
<nods twice> Aye and aye! I had an extra energy bank fitted in my late-model MK III at a private shipyard. Otherwise, Spindrifter is standard (I think).
I keep meaning to try PHKB's though - what would losing my unused side lasers and extra cargo space gain me (in terms of speed) there?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

ffutures wrote:
If you don't mind looking silly, the DTT Planet Express ship is extremely fast and ridiculously cheap, only 100K credits, and cargo capacity can be expanded to 45 tons, which is big enough to build up a carrier reputation. Main disadvantage is that it isn't a particularly good gun platform. I found it an excellent courier ship, a useful stepping stone for building up money quickly.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/D.T.T. ... ip_Designs
Well, I haven't used it in ages, but I took the Planet Express ship out for a spin last night because I wanted a change, and on my first dock a Thargoid attack force appeared - a Thargon cruiser and two of the fast cross-shaped ships whose name I can never remember. Amazingly I managed to destroy all three with a lot of hit and run tactics and sniping from the rear gun as I ran. Maybe it isn't such a bad gun platform after all.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Cody wrote:
CaptSolo wrote:
Trading is secondary to my career as a courier. Still the best 'Hunk of Junk' in the eight.
<nods twice> Aye and aye! I had an extra energy bank fitted in my late-model MK III at a private shipyard. Otherwise, Spindrifter is standard (I think).
I keep meaning to try PHKB's though - what would losing my unused side lasers and extra cargo space gain me (in terms of speed) there?
Removing your side lasers has only a minimal effect on speed and maneuverability. It will gain you a couple extra ton of equipment space but no increase in cargo space. What I had done, going from Class 4 to Class 5 Energy Banks, reduced max speed and maneuverability. To recover some of that I went from the standard engine to Engines Class 3A. The logic behind the upgrades necessitates the addition of Electrical Bus / Power Couplings. Then I believe the standard stuff like shield boosters etc., are included in the computation for equipment and cargo space. PHKB would be able to explain it better.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Starting to sound a bit like ED - perhaps I'll give it a try on a forked commander.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Hello Commander Iperich. Welcome to the best game ever.
Ah.. What ship indeed. Noo there IS a question.
I made my first few million in a Python
I fly a Caduceus Omega with quite a few mods. She is faster but less on the turns. Weapons out the wazzoo. There is nothing in the 8 galaxies to touch her, well except the sneaky barstewards that give me the "Press Space" message.
That's the thing about Oolite. You can mod your ship.
Save your game often. And try as many ships as you have time for.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!