The 127 Limit

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Zbond-Zbond wrote:
You need to use "ExtraFuelTank" to avoid docking en route.
You forgot to mention sun-skimming and Fuel-Stations as alternatives.. :wink:
I have found that I prefer ferrying passengers to trading at least early on. If you make your deadline, your reward is fixed and you see more of the galaxy that simply going back and forth within a certain area.

Fuel stations are faster but more expensive than the main station. I use them if I have to stop at a anarchy or feudal world, so I can get out quick, otherwise I head for that free solar fuel.

I have a Moray Star Boat, so I'm limited to one berth and 2 tons of cargo space (but there's always gold and such). It works out better than the basic Cobra III, because when you sell the Cobra, you have enough money to really set up the Star Boat well, with fuel scoops, heat shielding, nav tools, docking computer. Things that are nice to have.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Trezker wrote:
How come these passengers who demand getting taken on a 30 day trip across the galaxy even considers hopping on the ship of some guy that doesn't even have much of a reputation? Sounds risky to me.
People who need to fly 'under the radar' like the dodgy old guy and his teenage friend, or that young rich fellow and his strange acting little sister.

or people who want to go to places so dangerous that 'normal' transport won't go there.

hmm, I don't know if there are the functions to support it, but you could run into a case where someone pays you a whole lot for a small flight, but mid trip you are intercepted by vipers and asked to stop and be searched for 'known criminals', Do you flee and take on a reduced legal status, or hand them over, lose the cash and suffer whatever kind of retribution the person associates may deal out for your betrayal...
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Chrisfs wrote:
hmm, I don't know if there are the functions to support it, but you could run into a case where someone pays you a whole lot for a small flight, but mid trip you are intercepted by vipers and asked to stop and be searched for 'known criminals'l...
Ooh, that sounds very much like it could be an oxp!

There certainly are a few functions that support it already in 1.73.4: you can tell if the player s carring passengers, and if so, how many, and you can make a viper appear just outside the radar on an intercept course with the player, and you can script the police conversation, including a max time to wait for you to make your decision, etc... Of course, you could make it so that the majority of the time the police doesn't find anything illegal about your passengers,, etc... :)

Chrisfs, time for your first oxp? It's a bit of a learning curve, but you get to see the way everybody else did solve a particular problem, and you can always ask in the forum when you're stuck!

Cheers,

Kaks
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)