The 127 Limit

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I'll try it out. But will it trump the 30₢ per t per jump which I on average can make with the 5t of cargospace used for the cargo EDIT (stupid me): passenger bay? In other words: If the average net profit is less than 150₢ per jump, I still won't bother.

EDIT: Actually I don't really know what I make on average per jump. 30₢ is merely the (conservative!) estimation for milk-runs. But nowadays I am more a seller than a buyer, if you know what I mean. Or, to put it differently: I tend to fill my cargo hold "on the fly" rather than shipping commodities from outside the system myself. You could also say that I am employing sub-contractors for the tedious work of witchjumping cargo, although they are usually not aware that they are my sub-contractors, until I take over their cargo. I think you get the idea what I'm talking about. :wink:

So, for me the selling price equals the net profit, but of course I also get to sell a lot of low-price commodities this way. Still I think that an average of 30₢ is not too far from the truth.
Last edited by Commander McLane on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Commander McLane wrote:
I'll try it out. But will it trump the 30₢ per t per jump which I on average can make with the 5t of cargospace used for the cargo bay? In other words: If the average net profit is less than 150₢ per jump, I still won't bother.
Once you're performed several runs, you will be entrusted with more worthy pricings.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

For the passenger contracts as well? At least that's not how it used to be, but as I said, if something has changed in 1.73.n, I'll try it out.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Commander McLane wrote:
For the passenger contracts as well? At least that's not how it used to be, but as I said, if something has changed in 1.73.n, I'll try it out.
Yes, a good reputation is taken into account also for the passenger contracts now and results in even higher earnings. The idea remains, that passenger contracts, although much more profitable than before (for long trips), still are no substitute for cargo haul contracts. One may want to do a few well-paid passenger runs however, until they can afford the big ship that can do the big cargo runs.

More about it can be found here.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Just tried it out, and, indeed, I got paid a nice premium for early arrival as well. So perhaps I should consider a new career facet? With a special offer for potential customers:

P&B: Piracy and Breakfast

8)
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Commander McLane wrote:
Just tried it out, and, indeed, I got paid a nice premium for early arrival as well. So perhaps I should consider a new career facet? With a special offer for potential customers:

P&B: Piracy and Breakfast

8)
Nah, there's no business in it. Your customers will just hit and run.
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

Commander McLane wrote:
No, it contributes to the "successfully completed" passenger total.
another_commander wrote:
Yes, a good reputation is taken into account also for the passenger contracts now and results in even higher earnings. The idea remains, that passenger contracts, although much more profitable than before (for long trips), still are no substitute for cargo haul contracts. One may want to do a few well-paid passenger runs however, until they can afford the big ship that can do the big cargo runs.
I'm still a bit confused. Is there a cross-over between passenger rep and cargo rep going forward? I fly a Cobbie III and it would be sweet to be able to build up my courier rep starting with passenger trips (which are ten-a-penny compared to <35t bulk cargo contracts), then switch to high-margin cargo when these start to get offered.

thanks
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

lfnfan: Cargo and passenger reputations are still separate and independent of each other. When you switch to cargo contacts, you will still have to build reputation for them. You will not get immediately the sweet deals.
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

lfnfan wrote:
I'm still a bit confused. Is there a cross-over between passenger rep and cargo rep going forward? I fly a Cobbie III and it would be sweet to be able to build up my courier rep starting with passenger trips (which are ten-a-penny compared to <35t bulk cargo contracts), then switch to high-margin cargo when these start to get offered.
They are stored separately.

Here's an extract from an old save game file.
<key>reputation</key>
<dict>
<key>contracts_expired</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>contracts_fulfilled</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>contracts_unknown</key>
<integer>7</integer>
<key>passage_expired</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>passage_fulfilled</key>
<integer>2</integer>
<key>passage_unknown</key>
<integer>5</integer>
</dict>
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

thanks for clearing that up.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Not that I just had given the explanation and posted the exactly same save-game extract (of mine) just a couple of posts above. :wink:
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

indeed. I saw it first there, Commander, then had a bit of deja vu a few posts later :wink:

but I thought your response and save game were referring to 1.72. what with the whole revelation about increasing fares for longer distances and better reps giving higher fares. Hence my follow-up question, including the wording 'going forward' ie 1.73.

Combine that with my 'hopeful' reading of a_c's post which made me think possibly one could start building a rep based on passengers then segue into hauling high-margin cargo based on that same rep meant i NEEDED ultimate clarification: my gripe is that I like the Cobbie III very much, but with only a 35t cargo bay it's a real pita to build a courier rep back up after being out of the market for a bit, and the 'combined-passenger-cargo' rep would be manna from giles...

but:
a_c made it clear that is not to be,
even when playing in 1.73.

what I need to find is a cobra III-like ship with a 50t cargo bay, maybe 55t. I would give up a bit of speed I suppose, but not much manoevrability. anyway, I digress.
Last edited by lfnfan on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

lfnfan wrote:
what I need to find is a cobra III-like ship with a 50t cargo bay, maybe 55t. I would give up a bit of speed I suppose, but not much manoevrability. anyway, I digress.
You're in luck then.

The SuperCobra has twice the cargo space of the Cobra Mk III, and it's only twice the price.

References:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_Ships
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Largest_Ships_(Oolite)
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/SuperCobra
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

yeah, I have nearly enough credits washing around to kit out one of those and still have a bit of pocket money left for trading....

but I've not installed the .oxp - it's a bit too uber for my tastes. Best left to be piloted by Jim Feynman or Rebecca Weston :wink:
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

in that case you need the BoaClassCruiser

looks like a fish, mooves like a fish, steers like a CobraMkIII

better at docking, too, allegedly