Feudal Systems

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Feudal Systems

Post by Cody »

DGill wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:48 pm
- nice and earthy!
"Nice 'n' sleazy does it"

The other alternative might be Groundside (which I think is/was common at airports - groundside/flightside).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Hacoona Matata!
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

nice and earthy!
Have you sneaked a peek inside phkb's Feudal States variant for PFv.2 yet?

There are some interesting goodies in there!
...version 2.1 is now available:
PlanetFall2.oxz
With this version, I've separated all the Feudal States code out and put it in an OXP of its own. This includes the Digebiti example of constructing a fully custom system. So, if you have Feudal States, and want to use PlanetFall2, you'll need this OXP as well.
Feudal_PlanetFall2.oxz
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Cody wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:55 pm
- nice and earthy!
"Nice 'n' sleazy does it"

The other alternative might be Groundside (which I think is/was common at airports - groundside/flightside).
Airports are normally landside and airside, at least around here.

Personally I prefer planetside rather than downplanet.
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:11 pm
nice and earthy!

I haven't had the opportunity yet - but the next Feudal States sounds like it will have lots of potential.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

DGill wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:40 pm
I would prefer to keep FS compatible with both planetfall v1 and v2 as the latter does not work for me.
Can you try version 2.2 of PF when you get a chance? See PF thread for download links.
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:11 pm

Most of those goodies were purely skimmed straight out of the image pack you sent to me. I included them only to demonstrate what could be achieved and how to go about doing it. I make no claims about the appropriateness of the selections I made!
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

Using the PF2 Feudal, I note that where there is a hunting lodge, there is another "dockable", the latter being 39000-ish km away from the star system.

Of course a player not using erm, debug tools (cough!) will probably never find these.

On investigation, the entity is invisible to telescope and scanner, though the scanner goes yellow and jump is mass locked.

Once found, the entity appears as a cargo container which cannot be scooped, lasers cannot lock on to, and can only be 'warmed up' with powerful lasers. It becomes hostile when shot according to TMI.

At Oneded in G2, I find one called "Keep of Gallantry (Royal Lodge)" on the first visit. Going in from the same save I find it called "Citadel of Nobility (Feudal Lodge)". Jump out and back in that same game-save, and the name sticks.

I'm curious as to why these manifest, why they get named if they're just a side-effect of something else, and why names aren't generated in a predictable way, maybe using planet description as a seed.

(edit) I see that the PF2 landing sites are just like this too. Cargo containers... far out!, they're all cargo containers!
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

phkb wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:39 am
DGill wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:40 pm
I would prefer to keep FS compatible with both planetfall v1 and v2 as the latter does not work for me.
Can you try version 2.2 of PF when you get a chance? See PF thread for download links.
I now get the landing sites showing on the scanner upon launch from Digebiti station, which is great.
I get the flashing beacon and the landing instructions.
But I fly straight through the beacon without landing.
Do I need to do something else e.g. request landing permission?

MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

DGill wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 pm
I now get the landing sites showing on the scanner upon launch from Digebiti station, which is great.
Are you using PF 2.4? There's an issue with earlier versions where flying in below 1km altitude would fly-through. Even with the fixes, it seems one needs to not be ascending at the beacon.
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

MrFlibble wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:03 pm
DGill wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 pm
Are you using PF 2.4? There's an issue with earlier versions where flying in below 1km altitude would fly-through. Even with the fixes, it seems one needs to not be ascending at the beacon.
Yes, PlanetFall2 version 2.4 and Feudal_PlanetFall2
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

MrFlibble wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:06 pm
Using the PF2 Feudal, I note that where there is a hunting lodge, there is another "dockable", the latter being 39000-ish km away from the star system.

Of course a player not using erm, debug tools (cough!) will probably never find these.

On investigation, the entity is invisible to telescope and scanner, though the scanner goes yellow and jump is mass locked.

Once found, the entity appears as a cargo container which cannot be scooped, lasers cannot lock on to, and can only be 'warmed up' with powerful lasers. It becomes hostile when shot according to TMI.

At Oneded in G2, I find one called "Keep of Gallantry (Royal Lodge)" on the first visit. Going in from the same save I find it called "Citadel of Nobility (Feudal Lodge)". Jump out and back in that same game-save, and the name sticks.

I'm curious as to why these manifest, why they get named if they're just a side-effect of something else, and why names aren't generated in a predictable way, maybe using planet description as a seed.

(edit) I see that the PF2 landing sites are just like this too. Cargo containers... far out!, they're all cargo containers!
Ummm.... are you sure that it is PF2? If you are using Deep Horizon Advanced Navigation Computer or Manual Witchspace Alignment then you should know that they operate by bunging in mysterious chunks of something metallic at extreme distances which give your ship something to aim at before jumping out of system.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:11 pm
Ummm.... are you sure that it is PF2? If you are using Deep Horizon Advanced Navigation Computer or Manual Witchspace Alignment then you should know that they operate by bunging in mysterious chunks of something metallic at extreme distances which give your ship something to aim at before jumping out of system.
I'm not using either of the OXPs you mentioned.

All the planet landing sites are appearing as LongRangeScanner dockables that are cargo containers when investigated. The first one I noticed happened to be a feudal one. I hadn't gone to the planet at the time, being intrigued by the distant "anomaly", hence I posted the observation here.

I then noticed that all the PF landing sites were indestructabarrels.

The "Station at the end of the universe" from save in flight is a thing at a distance, but that thing is more logical.. a station.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

MrFlibble wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:45 pm
The "Station at the end of the universe" from save in flight is a thing at a distance, but that thing is more logical.. a station.
Does it have a space bar? And that famous restaurant?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

hiran wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:56 pm
MrFlibble wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:45 pm
Does it have a space bar? And that famous restaurant?
I didn't find them by the normal means. PS.target.explode() sadly yields no barrels of Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster or Obliging Meat Doners.