Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Medium Freighter Shortage.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Medium Freighter Shortage.

Post by Duggan »

Hello all,

You might be able to hopefully point me in the right direction.

I am looking to gradually progress through Oolite by steadily increasing my Cargo Capacity. I think the leap from 35 tonnes in a Cobra mk III to the 100 Tonnes in a Python quiet a leap up , So what I am looking for is a (possibly two ) step ups in this regard. A Vessel of say 50 Tonne Capacity and the next One of 75 Tonnes Capacity.

All help and ideas , greatly appreciated . :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
TheOldGamer
Competent
Competent

Re: Medium Freighter Shortage.

Post by TheOldGamer »

Duggan wrote:
Hello all,

You might be able to hopefully point me in the right direction.

I am looking to gradually progress through Oolite by steadily increasing my Cargo Capacity. I think the leap from 35 tonnes in a Cobra mk III to the 100 Tonnes in a Python quiet a leap up , So what I am looking for is a (possibly two ) step ups in this regard. A Vessel of say 50 Tonne Capacity and the next One of 75 Tonnes Capacity.

All help and ideas , greatly appreciated . :)
If you have the appropriate OXP's (not sure which one it is, specifically) you would certainly enjoy the Yasen-N. A converted troop-carrier, she hauls 60 tons with excellent speed. She looks great and nasty as hell and can be tricked out to stunning defensive levels. Comes with an optional plasma turret too. :)

In fact, you might just choose to do what I did: ignore the bulk carriers and stay with this rugged, dangerous medium trader.

Cheers!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

<Shameless plug>
The Python Clipper sounds pretty close to what you are looking for.
</ shameless plug>
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

There are some but how about cost or speed? Do you want a faster ship regardless of cost more than a Python or plan the upgrade to Python as soon as you can offer so now you need a cheaper ship regardless of necessary compromises?
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Thanks Smivs and Norby for your suggestions,

I am a little surprised why the vanilla shps did not take into consideration a more gradual cargo hold size progression as this would make for evenly staged progression through the Game in it's entirety so thanks be for the oxz/oxp Player flyable ships that filled this hole in the market.

I will be test flying the recommendations here . Thank you.
:)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Duggan wrote:
I am a little surprised why the vanilla ships did not take into consideration a more gradual cargo hold size progression...
Indeed, it is odd in the context of the game. The reason is that the ships are those from Elite, where you couldn't change ship, so there was no need for this. In the original game all you really wanted were ships like yours, annoying little fighters and big luggers, so that's what you got.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

An OXP ship I've found useful at the lower end of this size range is the DTT Planet Express freighter - it's cheap at 100K credits, agile, VERY fast, and goes to 45 tons with a hold extension. Disadvantage is mainly that it's not the best weapons platform; only 4 missiles, guns fore and aft only, and the guns are installed in weird positions so the accuracy at long range is slightly impaired. Also it's a bit difficult finding cargoes at first, there aren't many under 45 tons until you get a really good reputation and start getting contracts to haul gems etc. I tend to think of it as a fast courier, perfect for mail and a passenger or two rather than freight.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Thank you ffutures for your response;
and the guns are installed in weird positions so the accuracy at long range is slightly impaired.
This issue would seem also to exist for the Yasen-B and the much larger Lira.. I do not think that it is right or proper for targeting ability to compromised on medium Freighter vessels when the larger Boa , Boa Class Cruiser and Python have no such targeting difficulties.

I suppose I may have to give the Python Clipper a go :)
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

try a vortex.... 3 cargo bays... 30 ton each.. 1 will actually be hidden from all scans so you can carry contraband with impunity. fast, powerful and nasty vessel.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Amah
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: aboard the Laenina Crowne - Yasen-N class space freighter

Post by Amah »

Duggan wrote:
Thank you ffutures for your response;
and the guns are installed in weird positions so the accuracy at long range is slightly impaired.
This issue would seem also to exist for the Yasen-B and the much larger Lira.. I do not think that it is right or proper for targeting ability to compromised on medium Freighter vessels when the larger Boa , Boa Class Cruiser and Python have no such targeting difficulties.

I suppose I may have to give the Python Clipper a go :)
You could fix it by moving the viewport and laserposition closer together. For the Yasen-N I was pondering on this when I looked into Mimoriarty's orginals and decided against fixing it. Don't know, but I liked it, it had issues (or I'd rather call it character) in one area. ;-)

/e: On topic: I always have a soft spot for Griff's Ophidian. My "Rigel IV" helped my to climb up the ladder of cargo hauling.
Not the fastest ship but decent cargo capacity and nice look.
Amah
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
try a vortex.... 3 cargo bays... 30 ton each.. 1 will actually be hidden from all scans so you can carry contraband with impunity. fast, powerful and nasty vessel.
I have just realised that this is a bit weird. Imagine you are a customs official and you are standing in front of a ship. First thing you do is tap in its details on your terminal and up pops ship specs which will, if its a standard part of the config include the hidden compartment. For a one-off smuggler modification obviously not, but a standard ship component? You will have seen it a million times before and the customs computer will probably flag it as a ship often used for smuggling. Surely there should be some probability of hidden contraband being discovered and if it is punishment should probably be higher bearning in mind the willful smuggling, perverting the course of justice, falsified cargo manifest, etc...
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Cmdr James wrote:
Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
I have just realised that this is a bit weird. Imagine you are a customs official and you are standing in front of a ship. First thing you do is tap in its details on your terminal and up pops ship specs which will, if its a standard part of the config include the hidden compartment. For a one-off smuggler modification obviously not, but a standard ship component? You will have seen it a million times before and the customs computer will probably flag it as a ship often used for smuggling. Surely there should be some probability of hidden contraband being discovered and if it is punishment should probably be higher bearning in mind the willful smuggling, perverting the course of justice, falsified cargo manifest, etc...
I have used this method( using 1 hold for illegals) and as long as I have a hold with legals in the active slot.... I have never, ever been caught. Even when I ventured into a pirate asteroid... They only confiscated my active hold and left my hidden hold alone..
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.