Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Anti Aliasing

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

iperich
Dangerous
Dangerous

Anti Aliasing

Post by iperich »

Hi, I'm using Oolite 1.82 64 bits in Windows 8, and I would like to set anti aliasing, I read that Oolite supports anti aliasing and you can set it in the .GNUstepDefaults file in the oolite.app/GNUstep/Defaults directory with the line

"anti-aliasing"=1;

well, I did it but I see no difference at all, I tried "anti-aliasing"=YES too and no results.

It is possible to have anti-aliasing? Am I doing something wrong or missed something?

Thanks in advice.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk"
(Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Anti Aliasing

Post by another_commander »

I am not sure I have seen any difference with or without the defaults anti-aliasing switch either, but to be honest I've never paid too close attention to it. It may be possible that driver antialiasing settings are overriding whatever it is that SDL is trying to do?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I have my nVidia CP set to override application AA settings (for Oolite) - but I wasn't aware that Oolite had its own AA setting.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
iperich
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by iperich »

In the driver config I have anti-aliasing "configured by application", the other option is "disabled"...
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

What video card do you have? Could you please post the beginning of a log, where the list of OpenGL version and extensions are provided?
iperich
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by iperich »

Oh, I have an Intel HD Graphics 4000.

The beginning of the log:

Code: Select all

Opening log for Oolite version 1.82 (x86-64) under Windows 6.2.9200  64-bit at 2016-04-14 00:09:59 -0300.
4 processors detected.
Build options: OpenAL, new planets.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

00:10:01.304 [display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1920 x 1080
00:10:01.396 [joystick.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
00:10:01.396 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 4.0.0 ("4.0.0 - Build 10.18.10.4226"). Vendor: "Intel". Renderer: "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000".
00:10:01.396 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (169):
GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_ARB_transform_feedback_instanced, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_internalformat_query2, GL_ARB_draw_instanced, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_ARB_buffer_storage, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64, GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_ARB_gpu_shader5, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map_array, GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_ARB_shading_language_packing, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_ARB_texture_storage_multisample, GL_ARB_sync, GL_ARB_compatibility, GL_ARB_sampler_objects, GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_get_program_binary, GL_ARB_base_instance, GL_INTEL_performance_queries, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend, GL_ARB_texture_compression_bptc, GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_ARB_shader_precision, GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object, GL_NV_primitive_restart, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra, GL_ARB_texture_gather, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_KHR_debug, GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_ARB_texture_query_lod, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_texture_integer, GL_ARB_texture_swizzle, GL_EXT_gpu_shader4, GL_ARB_sample_shading, GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding, GL_EXT_transform_feedback, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_ARB_tessellation_shader, GL_ARB_occlusion_query2, GL_ARB_ES3_compatibility, GL_ARB_debug_output, GL_ARB_timer_query, GL_ARB_depth_clamp, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_framebuffer_no_attachments, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_binding, GL_ARB_instanced_arrays, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map, GL_ARB_copy_buffer, GL_EXT_texture_storage, GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, GL_ARB_geometry_shader4, GL_ARB_transform_feedback2, GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect, GL_ARB_transform_feedback3, GL_ARB_viewport_array, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, GL_ARB_internalformat_query, GL_ARB_texture_storage, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_ARB_texture_multisample, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_stencil_texturing, GL_EXT_texture_snorm, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode, GL_ARB_shading_language_420pack, GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev, GL_ARB_robustness, GL_ARB_texture_rg, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location, GL_EXT_packed_float, GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object_rgb32, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_ARB_shader_subroutine, GL_ARB_draw_indirect, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects, GL_EXT_geometry_shader4, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_ARB_texture_buffer_range, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counters, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_program_interface_query, GL_ARB_blend_func_extended, GL_ARB_arrays_of_arrays, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_texture_array, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_INTEL_map_texture, GL_ARB_compressed_texture_pixel_storage, GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_map_buffer_alignment, GL_ARB_provoking_vertex, GL_EXT_shader_integer_mix, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_INTEL_performance_query, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_texture_buffer, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_ARB_conservative_depth
00:10:01.813 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
00:10:02.734 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Resource paths: 
    Resources
    C:\Oolite/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns
    ../AddOns

in the config file I have "anti-aliasing"=1;
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Thanks for posting the details. I think that the problem is that you are missing the OpenGL extension WGL_ARB_pixel_format. Looking at what SDL on Windows does, it seems that it requires this extension in order to enable multisampling AA. If the extension does not exist, then the calls to set AA will fail silently.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

I added it a while back because it was easy to do, but I've no idea how widely supported it is, which is why it's hidden as a largely undocumented config setting.

Works for me on Linux+Nvidia is all I can really say for it.
Cody

Post by Cody »

cim wrote:
... which is why it's hidden as a largely undocumented config setting.
Are there any other hidden Oolite gfx settings? I can never find that list of hidden stuff.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Cody

Post by Cody »

That's the one - now bookmarked, thanks.
iperich
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by iperich »

another_commander wrote:
Thanks for posting the details. I think that the problem is that you are missing the OpenGL extension WGL_ARB_pixel_format. Looking at what SDL on Windows does, it seems that it requires this extension in order to enable multisampling AA. If the extension does not exist, then the calls to set AA will fail silently.
there's something I can do, then?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Do you have the latest drivers for your gfx card? If not, an update might help.
iperich
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by iperich »

Cody wrote:
Do you have the latest drivers for your gfx card? If not, an update might help.
did it already..... :?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Oh well... I guess you're stuck with what your gfx card itself can deliver.