Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The pain of flying an Andromeda...or any other big ship!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

DrunkenPalpatine
Competent
Competent

Re: The pain of flying an Andromeda...or any other big ship!

Post by DrunkenPalpatine »

Could you, dear Norby, enable some nice Star Destroyer multiple lasers maybe?
Yes?
Pweeeease!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Ok, check here. :)
DrunkenPalpatine
Competent
Competent

Norby, thank you so much!
This is now EXACTLY what I had in mind.
My Star Destroyer is now a giant whale in space...but MAN do I have firepower!
So much fun!

---> I have one last request this is crucial for playing the Star Destroyer though: It is impossible to enter the Space station mainly. It would be most amazing of I could launch my "Emperor Space ferry" from Star Wars to enter the stations just like the transport Pot from that Andromeda. You know what I mean? The great idea to let a transport ship launch when you near a station with your Andromeda. Now instead we could maybe launch a Emperor's Star Wars Ferry.

Maybe?

PS: I have to spend 1.1 million Credits for one Service Job! Haha. Serves me right!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

DrunkenPalpatine wrote:
playing the Star Destroyer though: It is impossible to enter the Space station mainly.
Manually surely hard, alhough I added a support to dock you when you collide, it can help only if the nose hit the dock and not the station which still kill you. So works well only with active [wiki]ILS[/wiki] if you start around the nav. buoy and arrive slowly.

I think you want to avoid the Shift+T instant autodock feature and maybe you missed the related changelog entry in SD.

Try to do the same as in Andromeda: put target lock to the station. You should see this:

Another case if you have ILS installed on your ship which prevent Shuttle launch in favor of ILS usage. In this case you should remove ILS first. There is no remove ILS feature yet but you can erase it from your ship if you unistall the OXP, then load and save your game, then reinstall ILS addon to help other ships to dock faster, just do not buy it.
DrunkenPalpatine
Competent
Competent

Thank you Norby. So there is the shuttle? Amazing.
The Andromeda works with ILS activated and yet still uses the transporter: it simply comes out once you hit a certain distance to the station.
I will try it with deactivated ILS.

Thank you.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Well, buying an ILS to Andromeda is pointless, can not help you to dock due to the large shape. Other ships use its own ILS equipments right when the OXP is installed, regardless of your ship has not any so this is not a reason to keep it on board.

To dock a big ship using ILS need enough thin nose which fit into the dock without other parts touch the station, and some more help in script which is in Star Destroyer only.

If the shuttle always launch then surely arrive sooner than your ILS approach finished so must disable it to allow ILS to finish its job, which is probably your wish if you bought it. If not then avoid it and your Shuttle will go to the station.