F6 chart stuff...

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: F6 chart stuff...

Post by Cody »

Is this working okay on the long-range chart? I seem to have lost the Find planet line (it appears only momentarily) - the word Jumps turns blue instead.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
kanthoney
Commodore
Commodore

Post by kanthoney »

It also broke the contracts screen. Should be fixed now though, hopefully.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Looking good - thanks!
Cody

Post by Cody »

<wanders the thoroughfares of the Seventh, pondering>
kanthoney
Commodore
Commodore

Post by kanthoney »

That sounds ominous!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Don't panic!

The addition of the second line on F6 has created a gap - a gap that is crying out to be filled with more info. But what? It is this I ponder.
I was thinking hub count - but that is more suited to F7 as it's system info, not route info. Any thoughts?
Cody

Post by Cody »

A tiny anomaly, perhaps? A case where the quickest route is also the shortest:

Image Image

I presume the Orlaed/Tetiri zero-distance double thingy is the cause?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cody wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:41 am

Image Image

For me the routes look different. Somewhere it was laid out that several small jumps are faster than fewer long ones.
Now you have 5 jumps versus three - it kind of makes sense.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

hiran wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:36 pm
Cody wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:41 am

Image Image

For me the routes look different. Somewhere it was laid out that several small jumps are faster than fewer long ones.
Now you have 5 jumps versus three - it kind of makes sense.
Flight time is a function of the SQUARE of flight distance. In consequence, taking an indirect (2-leg) route is frequently quicker than taking a direct route.

Graphically, if the start and end systems (A,B) are envisaged on a line (2 points define a line!), and your diversion system "C" is envisaged on the galactic map, then if the triangle ACB has an angle at C greater than 90 degrees (plots within the circle of diameter AB passing through A and B) then the diversion is quicker than the direct route. If all three points are on the circle, then ACB is a right triangle and AB^2 + BC^2 =AC^2
QED by our old friend Pythagoras.
If point "C" is outside the circle, then the direct route is quicker.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
Cody

Post by Cody »

I love the smell of Trig in the morning! When running against the clock, one would almost always take the quickest route, but there are some occasions when fuel plays a part in the calculation, and the slower direct route is preferable. Trig is also the key to backdoor routes, of course!
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Cody wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:23 am
I love the smell of Trig in the morning! When running against the clock, one would almost always take the quickest route, but there are some occasions when fuel plays a part in the calculation, and the slower direct route is preferable. Trig is also the key to backdoor routes, of course!
The "fewest jumps" route. I can only think that that would work beneficially iif
  1. The "direct-but-slow route was pretty close to 7.0 ly - the maximum tank capacity.
  2. You don't have Fuel Scoops or a Fuel Collector, or an Internal Fuel Tank (there are at least 2 OZPs) fitted. (That's why I like a Miner Cobra - with 75TC of cargo space, you can afford several passenger cabins (fat cats for the carrying of) and a spare fuel tank.
  3. The alternative route (more jumps, less time) approximates to a circle centred on the mid-point of the direct route. I'd need to do some thinking, and some geometry, if not trig to be sure, but I suspect that the limit (as the number of intermediate stops tends to infinity) is that semi-circular route ... but ... No, I need to think more about this. No I don't.
Consider our 3 systems - source A, destination B, intermediate stop C.
  • If C is outside the A-B semicircle, then AC^2+BC^2 > AB^2, and you take the direct route.
  • If C is on the semicircular route, the distances are equal, and you toss a trumble to make the choice
  • If C is inside the semicircle, AC^2+BC^2 < AB^2 and you take the short cut.
You then repeat the construction for the next point "C" if you took that route. And that makes the path slightly less intuitive, particularly as you approach the cusp.
I'd have to find a copy of Cundy & Rolett ("Mathematical Models" - a joyous book, much recommended to anyone with a love of the straight edge and compasses) to check, but I think that is the recipe for constructing either a cardioid or some funny peculiar "Leminiscate of Dead Greek".
Yeah, I think the limiting curve is a cardioid - Look at the figure in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardioid captioned "Generating a cardioid as pedal curve of a circle" where the "pedal point" represents the locus of points that satisfy the equation AC^2+BC^2 = AB^2 with B being at the cusp of the cardioid and A the point opposite.
Now, why is my brain nagging at me with that eroded memory of a Leminiscate of Somebody? Is that perhaps an alternative name for the caustic of reflection from a circular mirror - pictured in the Wiki article?

I recall that there is an example of this shape in both the SW, and in the NE corners of Galaxy 2, and I thought about the problem while plodding around the perimeter of the cardioid and wondering "why?" They're only about 6 or 7 stars long, so the resemblance to a cardioid isn't too obvious, but I think I've got the geometry nailed down like a Bond on a laser-cutting table.

Oh - corollary : the length of a full cardioid is 4 times the diameter of the AB distance, and one side of the shape is twice the AB distance. So you could end up travelling twice the distance in an attempt to save time. Taxi drivers, take note!
--
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
Cody

Post by Cody »

Consider a section of a cross-chart parcel delivery route (Ceerti to Gexean), where a hefty five-figure bonus could be had for early delivery. Right across the seventh, you'd use the quickest route, but for the Mamaanat to Usleance section, it makes sense to switch to the shortest, most direct, route. The shortest route is 2 jumps via the nicely-civilised high TL system of Orbelaxe, is 9.6 lyrs and takes 47.36 hours. The quickest route is 4 jumps, via the odious anarchy system of Antiis, is 13.6 lyrs, and takes 47.04 hours. No contest!
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Cody wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:47 pm
Consider a section of a cross-chart parcel delivery route (Ceerti to Gexean), where a hefty five-figure bonus could be had for early delivery. Right across the seventh, you'd use the quickest route, but for the Mamaanat to Usleance section, it makes sense to switch to the shortest, most direct, route. The shortest route is 2 jumps via the nicely-civilised high TL system of Orbelaxe, is 9.6 lyrs and takes 47.36 hours. The quickest route is 4 jumps, via the odious anarchy system of Antiis, is 13.6 lyrs, and takes 47.04 hours. No contest!
Ah yes, passing through hostiles is definitely a factor to consider. Iron-ass or no. Energy bombs are such a price, and Q-bombs more than doubly so!
I tend to carry multiple parcels and passengers - selecting them according to overall route on the zoomed-out galaxy view though, and individual legs are to a degree hedged against each other. I'm not averse to giving the elbow to a 200 Cr parcel in order to get a 5 figure bonus on a passenger though.
It is somewhat irking that there isn't a mechanism to drop a parcel back onto the market at an intermediate point - with me contributing to the delivery bounty to make it more attractive to local Jamesons. The time limits are generally still achievable, if I didn't have this other, more valuable, cargo to deliver in a different direction. Going into the station is still going to cost me an hour or so of flying and docking time, but I can generally make that back on reduced flying time to the star to refuel.

Did anyone ever get that add-on for fuel-scooping gas giants to work? Though generally they're no closer than the central star.

I'm currently approaching that horrible NW corner of G2, with the isolated group of mixed stars behind a bottleneck of about 3 consecutive long jumps between "hostiles". Better get that aft Mil-Laser serviced, and the sights aligned. Two 5-figure passengers, a half-dozen 4-figure parcels, and at least one of the passengers has a big bounty on his tentacles with lots of wanna-be scalp collectors at every witchpoint.
--
Cody

Post by Cody »

RockDoctor wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:22 pm
Ah yes, passing through hostiles is definitely a factor to consider.
That... and the fact it's two less witchpoints with their waiting assassins to be negotiated. Plus, at the end of a long run like that (40 jumps), hounded by assassins all the way, my ship may well need a maintenance overhaul and other major repairs (which I wouldn't have time for), and two less jumps is less wear and tear and less chance of a misjump. And of course, I don't carry WMDs, and the only extra fuel is my 0.5 ly reserve tank!

The life of a top-ranked interstellar courier - fun all the way!