Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

copy information_url to clipboard

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: copy information_url to clipboard

Post by RockDoctor »

A somewhat related issue, which dumping data to a log-like file would make relatively simple, is this:
I dual-boot my lappy into Linux or Windows as appropriate, and have a "transfer" folder accessible to both. Unsurprisingly, I keep my oolite-saves folder in there, accessible from the light side and the dark side (I've got to rename the systems now! Should have thought of that ages ago.). But the dark side and the light side get discoordinated over which OXPs are added in which.
I know that I should be able to sort it out by dint of examining the "latest.log" in each side, comparing notes and ... it's a game, is it worth the effort?
It is a common enough comment on the forum to ask people which OXPs they've got installed. There then follows an interchange about how to locate the latest.log, then how to parse it ... very repetitive.
Wouldn't a function in the Expansion manager to dump the list of OXPs into a text file in (the most-recent save-game location? somewhere), with a user manageable name be useful in the general case, as well as my specific circumstance? I can sort myself out, but the newbie to the game may well get dispirited and go back to shooting up the Phobos Base instead.

Worth adding to the "to do" list?
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

RockDoctor wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:01 pm
[...]as well as my specific circumstance?[...]
Alternatively, if you could define the OXZ/OXP directory, then you could have it in your transfer as well
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

maik wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:01 pm
Alternatively, if you could define the OXZ/OXP directory, then you could have it in your transfer as well
I'm not sure - is that possible? I got the impression that it wasn't, but I admit to RTFMing as far as necessary to get an acceptable system, then stopping. In other systems, I've got such things working by relative references (../../relative/path/to/wherever) but it always turns out fragile.
Wouldn't the two different GNUstep setups clash at some point? Or does the system work by reading the actual contents of the ~/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddons, or by reading a database or listing somewhere?
--
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

RockDoctor wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:24 pm
I'm not sure - is that possible? I got the impression that it wasn't, but I admit to RTFMing as far as necessary to get an acceptable system, then stopping. In other systems, I've got such things working by relative references (../../relative/path/to/wherever) but it always turns out fragile.
Wouldn't the two different GNUstep setups clash at some point? Or does the system work by reading the actual contents of the ~/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddons, or by reading a database or listing somewhere?
I wish I knew, I am wondering myself. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes along...
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

RockDoctor wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:24 pm
That was actually my first thought when reading your problem statement: Why not have the addons directory in transfer as well?
I am not sure what it would take on Windows side, but for Linux you can definitely use a symlink from where oolite would expect the files to where you have them.

Regarding the dump of extensions: I'd go even further. I do not want having to figure out such stuff myself. So my proposal would be to
- add a list of extensions to every savegame (all available extensions or all used extensions).
- upong load of a savegame, either stop loading with an error, or load with a warning if required extensions are not installed
- maybe even offer to download missing extensions via the addon manager

This would allow sharing/reusing savegames also amongst users a lot easier than before.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

hiran wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:37 am
- add a list of extensions to every savegame (all available extensions or all used extensions).
Well, it's there in the details, but you certainly need to look, hard, to work it out.
I wonder what order things go into (and come out of) the save file.
- upong load of a savegame, either stop loading with an error, or load with a warning if required extensions are not installed
- maybe even offer to download missing extensions via the addon manager
Well, give the user an option to load the missing extension, or continue, but at least aware of the missing part.
This would allow sharing/reusing savegames also amongst users a lot easier than before.
Just how much sharing of save-games goes on between people? I effectively share them between different user accounts on my own systems, but I doubt that's normal. I suspect there is a "user poll" question in there.

Since I don't actually do "online games" - it's not MOOCs, is it MOOD&Ds or something like that? MMPORGs ? - do they do much save-game sharing? How do they handle different configurations of "mods" between users (I think that's what DOOM-a-likes called extensions). They have (some of them, reportedly, systems for exchanging stuff between users, which I guess would be like partial save-games?
--
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

RockDoctor wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:01 pm
Just how much sharing of save-games goes on between people?
You'd have to prise my save-game out of my cold, dead, hands!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Well, it's there in the details, but you certainly need to look, hard, to work it out.
I wonder what order things go into (and come out of) the save file.
I just checked one of my savegames and could not find reference to the ~140 OXPs I have installed. So where did you see that?
Well, give the user an option to load the missing extension, or continue, but at least aware of the missing part.
That would be constructive and gentle enough. :-)
Just how much sharing of save-games goes on between people? I effectively share them between different user accounts on my own systems, but I doubt that's normal. I suspect there is a "user poll" question in there.
You may be right this is unusual. I was more thinking of sharing a savegame with a developer to ease troubleshooting.
Since I don't actually do "online games" - it's not MOOCs, is it MOOD&Ds or something like that? MMPORGs ? - do they do much save-game sharing? How do they handle different configurations of "mods" between users (I think that's what DOOM-a-likes called extensions). They have (some of them, reportedly, systems for exchanging stuff between users, which I guess would be like partial save-games?
Too many abbreviations for me to follow... :roll:
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

hiran wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:40 pm
I just checked one of my savegames and could not find reference to the ~140 OXPs I have installed. So where did you see that?
I might be getting save-games and latest.log confused. I definitely remember searching through a long list of OXPs on occasion.
You may be right this is unusual. I was more thinking of sharing a savegame with a developer to ease troubleshooting.
Well, yes, that would be useful. In which case having (optional) user interaction might be useful for the developers.
--
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

RockDoctor wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:51 pm
Well, yes, that would be useful. In which case having (optional) user interaction might be useful for the developers.
Absolutely. It should be possible to record the events (which would be user input plus other information, e.g. the randseed so random numbers used for enemy generation can be replayed as well). This combination could not only be used for debugging purposes, but also for automated testing, demo cases or video rendering.
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

hiran wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:12 pm
Absolutely. It should be possible to record the events (which would be user input plus other information, e.g. the randseed so random numbers used for enemy generation can be replayed as well). This combination could not only be used for debugging purposes, but also for automated testing, demo cases or video rendering.
Is there a thread for "save-game contents" in the developer's sandbox?
--