Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

D(T)runk or not

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: D(T)runk or not

Post by Svengali »

Cody wrote:
... I think 'user-friendly' should be hyphenated.
Muchas gracias, amigo .-)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Aegis chatter - would be nice if some systems didn't have it. Randomise it, perhaps - or base it on hub-count?

As an aside, some of the random elements in core Oolite drive me crackers!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Cody wrote:
Aegis chatter - would be nice if some systems didn't have it. Randomise it, perhaps - or base it on hub-count?
Yep, something must be done there. The older versions did check the number of ships around the station. I've removed it, because filtering is slow. But I don't see a better way atm.
Ngalo
Competent
Competent

Post by Ngalo »

Cody wrote:
I don't think settings (specifically chatter) are persisting through exits/reloads - should they?
If I enable FX Redux, the docking-tunnel doors don't look right. Otherwise - cool!
Am I right in thinking Library OXP's config script doesn't actually have the ability to save settings yet?
Please fix this if so because I am making a few OXPs which use it.
Equal Rights for NPCs!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Ngalo wrote:
Am I right in thinking Library OXP's config script doesn't actually have the ability to save settings yet?
Please fix this if so because I am making a few OXPs which use it.
Lib_Config doesn't store anything - it is only a user interface. Every OXP which needs a simple way to offer configurations can use it, but storing and loading saved settings is up to these OXPs. It can notify OXPs if a user changes them if necessary - the readme (Lib_Config.txt) shows you some possibilities and options. OXPConfig on the other side has stored settings, but in the end it was a doomed approach, so Lib_Config is much more flexible.

The settings in BGS are stored (through BGS), but currently it forces its default settings on .startUp until it is completed.
Ngalo
Competent
Competent

Post by Ngalo »

Sorry I didn't get it. You are right about flexibility being a good thing; one of my WIPs is actually better off doing the save/load for itself.

A couple of suggestions for you to ignore during any future development of the config interface:
- allow strings to be typed in as well as numbers?
- provide 'save registered settings' / 'load registered settings' helper functions for Dark Siders who don't need anything fancy and are too lazy to do it themselves?
Equal Rights for NPCs!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Ngalo wrote:
- allow strings to be typed in as well as numbers?
Sounds like a plan.-)
Ngalo wrote:
- provide 'save registered settings' / 'load registered settings' helper functions for Dark Siders who don't need anything fancy and are too lazy to do it themselves?
I'm not sure what you mean with save/load registered settings functions. If you mean multiple different setups for AddOns (e.g modes for un/shadered setups) then this is really better done in these AddOns - scripts, properties and values may change over time, etc. And if you mean to store setups in missionVariables then you are back to script-loading-order and script-execution-fun. But I'm thinking about a simple back-to-defaults thingummie.