My joystick setup - what do others do?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: My joystick setup - what do others do?

Post by Fritz »

I now use a higher chair and a little pillow for my arm. The joystick is placed to the right side of the keyboard, very near the right lower corner of my screen. It feels much better now, but I haven't tested this arrangement with Oolite yet.
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
fotaki
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by fotaki »

Many thanks for this interesting thread. I'm new to Oolite but used to play Frontier with a Kempston stick ? years ago. As it's been said, there was no yaw facility and I found the simple controls (x and y and fire) got me to Elite.

No doubt it was the limitation of the game that made the whole thing much simpler to play and IMO it's this that created the Elite myth. Currently, one has the ability to use a vast range of weapons and flight controls - all have to be covered somehow by the method of game control you use.

I've found the keyboard awkward, especially for these old hands and I'm investigating using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick or a simple gamepad. I have to agree that for normal Laptop/desktop play, a Joystick seems much too high and eventually causes fatigue. Which leaves the gamepad. I haven't yet tried this but from what has been said here, this could be a solution. I've seen some on the 'Bay' for little money but does one have to be a bit more choosy - viz Quality, make and ability to deal with 'dead zones' etc.

Thanks for any input. Regards John
Last edited by fotaki on Sun May 08, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Oolite has a built-in thingy for helping with deadzones, which works well for joysticks - so I presume* it'd work for gamepads too.

*I've never used a gamepad, you see (for the record, I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!