[Release] Spicy Hermits

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Spicy Hermits

Post by Fritz »

Ok, it seems crazy, but it is obvious and reproducible: If I change the door model to "alloy.dat", everything is fine. If I change it back to "oolite-alloy.dat", the plates behave like described above. If I leave the model as it is and remove the scale factor, everything is fine again.

So, until somebody proves me wrong, I call this a core bug in versions 1.82 and 1.83, related to model_scale_factor. This is a relatively new property, isn't it?

But I'll test again with a copy of the model!

Edit: It works, but of course this essentially isn't different to using a scaled version of alloy.dat.
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

@ocz: I've overlooked your last posting. No time anymore this night, but I'll answer tomorrow!
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

A new version 1.0.3 is up.

* Copied the alloy model from core game to the oxp to prevent weird debris anomalies reported by Fritz.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Thank you, but I still have an uneasy feeling because nobody else could reproduce my results.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Fritz wrote:
Thank you, but I still have an uneasy feeling because nobody else could reproduce my results.
Well, I did :) . I got spectacular explosions, reincarnating alloys and unbreakable alloys.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Yes, I've just read it in the trunk nightly thread. I'm really happy now! :)
ocz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by ocz »

Good that that went well.

For reference reasons, if somebody reads this with similar problems: Solution in https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 35#p247369
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Fritz wrote:
@ocz: I've overlooked your last posting. No time anymore this night, but I'll answer tomorrow!
I think this isn't necessary anymore!
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Someone (er, possibly even me .. ) may have said this already somewhere in the thread, but how about beefing the hermits up a bit more? It seems wrong that something so large and valuable - the hermit should be destoyable with only ten-seconds or so of a military laser. I think that a, say, 75% energy increase might be an idea - though perhaps we could have older, knackered-looking hermits that have only the energy that all hermits currently have?

Also, perhaps, some hermits could have shields, as provided by the NPC Shields (I think it is called) OXP?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Some hermits could be given shield boosters and naval shields -- if they get both, they'll be much tougher.
This could be randomly done by the core engine via ship data files including the boosters or by script based on the nature of the system (TL, agri/ind, Gov) and the odds need not be random at all.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Yes, those ideas are good and would be easy to implement. I favour there being an algorithm to decide on the hardiness of the hermits, but with a considerable degree of randomness too.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Good points on the default max_energy of hermits. For reference:

boa2: 525
hermit: 1000
coriolis: 25000

So beefing up the hermits sounds like a reasonable idea for this oxp. Kind of like simulating shields. Don't know about the variable strength though. Sounds nice on paper, but is kind of hard to notice in game, so probably not worth the trouble. The pinjatas should stay at 1000, but the live ones could go up a bit. But how much? 1750 as suggested?
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

spara wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:24 pm
What? Corolis stations can be destroyed, without special OXP funny business?

I think variable strength for rock hermits would add some fun and realism. How about the following?
  • Non-pirate hermits: energy between 1500 and 2000, with a chance of shields - via the NPC Shields OXP - of 0.2.
  • Pirate-hermits: energy between 1000 and 3000, with a chance of shields of 0.7.
I don't think this would be hard to implement (except perhaps distinguishing the pirate from non-pirate versions) and I'd be happy to have a go at doing it (though perhaps it would have to wait until December).
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

UK_Eliter wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:36 pm
spara wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:24 pm
What? Corolis stations can be destroyed, without special OXP funny business?

I think variable strength for rock hermits would add some fun and realism. How about the following?
  • Non-pirate hermits: energy between 1500 and 2000, with a chance of shields - via the NPC Shields OXP - of 0.2.
  • Pirate-hermits: energy between 1000 and 3000, with a chance of shields of 0.7.
I don't think this would be hard to implement (except perhaps distinguishing the pirate from non-pirate versions) and I'd be happy to have a go at doing it (though perhaps it would have to wait until December).
Variable energy should be quite easy to implement. Just rewriting max_energy after spawn should do it. Integration with NPC Shields needs a closer look.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

> Integration with NPC Shields needs a closer look.

All that is needed for this is the following in shipdata

Code: Select all

"script_info" = {"npc_shields" = yes;};
Or rather, I suppose, setting that value on a probability, via a script - unless we can just substitute e.g. '0.2' for 'yes'?