[Release] Spicy Hermits

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Spicy Hermits

Post by spara »

Fritz wrote:
You use

Code: Select all

model = "oolite_alloy.dat";
model_scale_factor = 25;
Griff uses his own models, so we have a very strange situation here because the problem is definitely caused by Spicy Hermits, and the big wreckage was one of Griff's models, not the core model.

I'll make some experiments without Griff's Wreckage.
Very strange. I don't see how spicy hermits could have anything to do with that. It only modifies hermits and adds one new object, abandoned hermit, which is only spawned by script. "Model_scale_factor" used above only affects one subent on an abandoned hermit object. If it somehow affects anything else, we have a core bug here.

Do you use 1.82 or trunk version of Oolite?

This does not happen with spicy hermits?
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

I'm using 1.82. And this has never happened before - I always try to scoop up the metal plates, so I would have noticed long ago. But I haven't played much with the last beta version (the one introducing the abandoned hermits), so I can't rule out that the problem was already introduced with this version.

But I just found something even stranger: I changed your shipdata.plist to use alloy.dat instead of oolite_alloy.dat to see if the standard plates will become huge too. They don't, but now they are very difficult to scoop, because the "force field" doesn't seem to be able to attract them. I'm starting to think that there must be a very strange bug in the core game that mixes up different entities using the same model. On the other hand, I seem to be the only one who is affected. Spooky! :shock:

I'll make some more experiments...
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Wasn't something to do with alloys fixed in trunk last week?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Cody wrote:
Wasn't something to do with alloys fixed in trunk last week?
Yes. The model was updated from alloy.dat to oolite_alloy.dat.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

So you use the bent model for the docking port seal intentionally?
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Fritz wrote:
So you use the bent model for the docking port seal intentionally?
Yes.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

I just was wondering because a flat plate would be the natural choice. But that's not the problem, it just made it even more confusing for me.

Regardless of what you are doing, or if you are doing it wrong or not, no entry in a shipdata.plist for a new entity type should change the looks or behaviour of any other entity in the game. Does everybody agree with this? If yes, there is something fishy going on here...

Since I seem to be the only in the forum still using version 1.82, and also the only one affected by the problems, I'll try to install version 1.83 to see if the strange phenomenons still happen. It doesn't make much sense to find a bug that perhaps has been fixed already!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Fritz wrote:
I'll try to install version 1.83...
If you're doing a fair bit of testing (while playing), it can be handy to have both 1.82 and 1.83 installed.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

I tested all available plates from the core game and the one I chose, pleased my eye most. No more mystic there :D .

I'm doing my playing in 1.82 and test some stuff in 1.83. I think 1.82 is just fine for playing.

To state the obvious. Have you taken all oxps off and tested? Have you taken all oxps, except for spicy hermits and tested?

I made many tests with different kinds of combinations using both 1.82 and 183 and didn't see the behavior you're seeing even once. Really annoying :evil: . I must have killed at least 100 lobotomized pirates in the process :D .
Cody

Post by Cody »

spara wrote:
I'm doing my playing in 1.82 and test some stuff in 1.83.
<grins> I play exclusively in 1.83, but have a 1.82 install for instant testing (if required).
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Cody wrote:
If you're doing a fair bit of testing (while playing), it can be handy to have both 1.82 and 1.83 installed.
Yes, I don't plan to uninstall version 1.82. I think, my hard disk still has room for both.
To state the obvious. Have you taken all oxps off and tested? Have you taken all oxps, except for spicy hermits and tested?
I started doing this already. Without Spicy Hermits everything is normal, but I haven't yet tested your OXP without any other OXP. But, as I said, these strange things definitely didn't happen until version 1.0 (or perhaps 0.15). So I tend to blame the abandoned hermit. Btw, you didn't include the spooky part, did you? ;)
I made many tests with different kinds of combinations using both 1.82 and 183 and didn't see the behavior you're seeing even once.
That's really strange, because don't seem to have any strange OXPs that could interfere with these things.
I must have killed at least 100 lobotomized pirates in the process.
Yes, I had some combat practise too!
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Hm. It seems like a dumb question, but where do I get version 1.83? I don't want to compile it from the source, but I don't find anything else to download.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Here you go!
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Thank you, I'll try it!
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Version 1.83 is installed. But, sadly, everything is the same. Almost.

Is it only me or have the explosions become a little more spectacular? This was just a simple Moray! But you can see how large and far away the metal fragment is, and a second one with the same size is a little higher up.

The strange thing is, shortly before this I found a normal sized metal plate using the same model and texture (this is new in 1.83, like spara mentioned). But this small part wasn't attracted by the scoop force field, so you could pass over it very slowly without changing its course.

For this test I had removed all OXPs using a shipdata.plist, except the (very simple) one I use for my own ship, and Spicy Hermits. Without Spicy Hermits I wasn't able to reproduce something like this (it's not a rare thing to happen, it seems that about one of two, or one of three fragments comes in XXXL).

The big plates are scoopable, but it is difficult to say if they are attracted by the force field or not. And, strangely, they don't make a scoop sound! :?