[Release] Spicy Hermits

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Spicy Hermits

Post by spara »

Scoop this and blame yourself for burning and itching :mrgreen: .

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Found it.

Thargoid's Pods OXP has trumble infested barrels, but they look like all the other pods, so it's just a dice roll.

It was Cargo Wreck Teaser OXP by Arexack Heretic that I was remembering. It has specific trumble barrels, which you can visually identify and upon scooping, give you pets.

Maybe I should include trumble pods into this oxp anyway to add some danger to treasure hunt.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

spara wrote:
Maybe I should include trumble pods into this oxp anyway to add some danger to treasure hunt.
If I ruled the Ooniverse, I'd do away with Trumbles!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

If a few percent of pods could stuck into the scoop and damaging it then the occasional repair cost could be the maintenance fee of the frequent usage.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Norby wrote:
If a few percent of pods could stuck into the scoop and damaging it then the occasional repair cost could be the maintenance fee of the frequent usage.
Thargoid's Pods already does that :) . Looks like there's no need to put these kinds of pod related things into this oxp. People wanting these features can install either Pods and/or Teaser and it will affect this oxp also.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Spicy Hermits

Post by spara »

A couple of small tweaks more and it's time for version 1.0. And it's available from the manager. Big thank you to everyone testing and providing feedback :D .

Here's a brief summary of what this oxp provides:

* Change to rock hermit permanency. Destroy one and it won't spawn back to the same place.
* Abandoned hermits on planetary orbit. Find them, destroy them and loot them.
* Market and behavioral changes to core rock hermits
- Mining bases. Mine around them and sell minerals to the hermit. Mining products for sale are a bit more numerous than in the core game.
- Smugglers' dens. Mine around them and sell minerals to the hermit. Mining products for sale are a bit more numerous than in the core game. Small unofficial market for shady commerce. A couple of hired goons patrol the station protecting it.
- Pirate Havens. Overrun by pirates. No mining happens here, just pirates hanging around. Markets sells fruits of piracy. High TL shipyard offers premium maintenance services and a selected set of equipment common to pirates at high prices.
Cody

Post by Cody »

The Rubic's Auger bunch still approve of Commander Rockingham, but hunters seem to dislike him... perhaps I'll introduce them to each other!

However...

Code: Select all

21:24:53.132 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (spicy_hermits_ship_script 1.0): TypeError: i is undefined
21:24:53.132 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       E:\Oolite-Trunk/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.spara.spicy_hermits.oxz/Scripts/spicy_hermits_ship_script.js, line 29.

Quick question: do hunters still follow miscreants through their wormholes?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Hmm... Lines 29 and 30 should probably refer to leader instead of patrol.
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Again a very strange test flight. After launching from a pirate hermit, I was attacked. I killed two or three pirates, then the others turned yellow and became peaceful. So far, so good.

But then a huge number of Thargoids arrived - I found 8 different ship IDs in my log file! I've been playing a lot in the past months, but I've never encountered something like this, even in witch space. I had full tanks, so I preferred to put some distance between the Thargoids, the rock hermit, and me. The Thargoids quickly killed the remaining pirates, but the hermit survived (I don't know if it was attacked or if it was too strong). One of the Thargoids probably was killed by the pirates (according to the log file, he spawned Thargons before I started to fire), 6 by me (using injectors and aft laser long distance sniping), and the 8th was missing...

I returned to the hermit, but then a Krait, that had launched in the meantime, attacked me - at least verbally, because before starting to hit me, he crashed into the hermit, destroying it (must have used his injectors). This had happened before, so probably nothing worth mentioning.

But...

The first Thargoid killed by me had spawned a huge piece of wreckage visible almost from outside scanner range. I didn't find it again after the hostilities had ended, but while I was looking for it, I found the missing 8th Thargoid involved in a fight with a pirate Gecko. I saved the Gecko, and the Thargoid ended up in a huge piece of wreckage again!

I tried to make a picture together with my ship to show the size, but it had bad lighting.

So I tried to make a second screenshot, but doing this I crashed into the metal fragment. As you can see, I had to use injectors because the fragment was very fast. The collision killed me, so the wreckage wasn't only large but also heavy:

01:04:41.991 [LogEvents]: Player taking 3534 scrape damage from Metal fragment 13501 0+384 shield and -3084 energy left
Could it be possible that the metal plate used for sealing the abandoned hermit is increased in size, and this somehow affects the size of wreckage?

Edit: I managed to produce the same type of fragment by ramming a Cobra 1. It's one of the bent plates, so it's probably not the same model used for the hermit sealing plate.

And I should probably mention that I'm using Griff's alloys and wreckage.
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Fritz wrote:
Hmm... Lines 29 and 30 should probably refer to leader instead of patrol.
:oops: A classic "last minute change" :lol: . Fixed in 1.0.1.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Fritz wrote:
Could it be possible that the metal plate used for sealing the abandoned hermit is increased in size, and this somehow affects the size of wreckage?
Abandoned hermit should only turn into pods and rocks when destructed. I don't know if pods could create metal plates upon destruction though.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

A classic "last minute change"
Yes, I recognised it! I usually test every change, even if it is very small, because I have days when I can hide two errors in a 10-character line of code...

What do you use to seal the docking port? I remember something in shipdata.plist where you increase a model by 25 (?). I can't look at the moment because I'm in my office.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Fritz wrote:
What do you use to seal the docking port? I remember something in shipdata.plist where you increase a model by 25 (?). I can't look at the moment because I'm in my office.
Just the basic core metal plate scaled to seal the dock. And it's just for looks, abandoned hermits are just rocks.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

You use

model = "oolite_alloy.dat";
model_scale_factor = 25;
Griff uses his own models, so we have a very strange situation here because the problem is definitely caused by Spicy Hermits, and the big wreckage was one of Griff's models, not the core model.

I'll make some experiments without Griff's Wreckage.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

I'm a little further, and I can rule out Griff's Wreckage now.

I removed Griff's OXP (and of course flushed the cache), but the model of at least one of the bent plates is still present somehow. The core metal plate has normal size, but this plate is huge. Both can appear when destroying a ship, and since the core game has only one type of plate, this seems very strange on its own, because there shouldn't be any randomness.

First I thought that the plate shown in the picture is from Griff's OXP, but it is actually an unused model of the core game. And it is the model used for sealing the abandoned hermits, "oolite_alloy.dat"! The standard wreckage metal plate is a simple straight plate called "alloy.dat".

But all of this doesn't explain what is happening here...