GalCop Galactic Registry (Release)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: GalCop Galactic Registry (Release)

Post by CaptSolo »

phkb wrote:
OK, bug squashed and version 1.4 is available. I wasn't adding the interface when docking at a new station.
Gracias, amigo.
Strato1
Average
Average

Post by Strato1 »

I'm having an issue with this, where after viewing the galactic registry from the "F4" tab in Oolite 1.84, my HUD disappears until I restart the game.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Strato1 wrote:
I'm having an issue with this, where after viewing the galactic registry from the "F4" tab in Oolite 1.84, my HUD disappears until I restart the game.
Thanks for the bug report. In the meantime, while I'm away squashing bugs, you can work around the problem by pausing the game, then pressing "o". That should restore your HUD.
Strato1
Average
Average

Post by Strato1 »

phkb wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:04 am
Thanks for the bug report. In the meantime, while I'm away squashing bugs, you can work around the problem by pausing the game, then pressing "o". That should restore your HUD.
Thanks for the quick solution. :)
phkb

Post by phkb »

OK, version 1.6 is up, which should fix the issue with the HUD not reappearing.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Version up today. 2.0 now allows you to switch between a map view of each item, and a system name list view. For example, here's the two views of "The Road"

Also added markers to the start end end of each spacelane.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Version 3.03.1 is now available from the download manager. In this version is a new option, "Full system list", which lists all systems in the sector, along with TL, government and economy information. You can additionally select two systems from the list and display details about them, including any route information between those two systems.

Edit: Version 3.1 removes a debugging line I had forgotten about.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Version 3.2 has just been released. In this version is a search facility where planetary descriptions can be searched for entered criteria.
ddeo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ddeo »

Thanks, I will have to try it out, oxp looks great.
Cmd Northgate
Competent
Competent

Post by Cmd Northgate »

phkb wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:26 am
Version 3.2 has just been released. In this version is a search facility where planetary descriptions can be searched for entered criteria.
Having an issue loading this

16:22:00.633 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
16:22:01.634 [startup.complete]: ========== Loading complete in 1.86 seconds. ==========
16:22:35.721 [version.debug]: oolite.oxp.phkb.GalacticRegistry mv:3.2 mav:3.2
16:22:36.376 [version.debug]: oolite.oxp.phkb.GalacticRegistry mv:3.2 mav:3.2
16:22:36.585 [version.debug]: oolite.oxp.phkb.GalacticRegistry mv:3.2 mav:3.2
16:22:36.761 [version.debug]: oolite.oxp.phkb.GalacticRegistry mv:3.2 mav:3.2
16:22:36.936 [version.debug]: oolite.oxp.phkb.GalacticRegistry mv:3.2 mav:3.2
16:22:37.321 [version.debug]: oolite.oxp.phkb.GalacticRegistry mv:3.2 mav:3.2
16:22:37.321 [version.debug]: oolite.oxp.phkb.GalacticRegistry mv:3.2 mav:3.2
16:22:41.933 [version.debug]: oolite.oxp.phkb.GalacticRegistry mv:3.2 mav:3.2
16:22:42.114 [oxz.manager.error]: Downloaded OXZ does not have the same identifer and version as expected. This might be due to your manifests list being out of date - try updating it.
16:22:51.348 [exit.context]: Exiting: Exit Game selected on start screen.
16:22:51.348 [gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Ack! Looks like I forgot to update the manifest file again. You’d think I’d have learned my lesson by now! Anyway, I’ll post a fix shortly. Thanks for reporting.

[Edit] ...and done. Should download ok now. Thanks again for the notification.
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Hi phkb,

Disclaimer: I had this oxp installed since forever, and I didn't really use it. It was breaking a little bit my suspension of disbelief, but I couldn't say why at the time. Now, I begin an Oolite game anew for the first time since I discovered Oolite all those years ago (ok, not so long ago), and, rebalancing my oxp list, I use Zeromap to explore the galaxy. No knowledge of my neighbouring systems, then. Ouch! It's hard!! I don't have enough fuel, it's the 5th time I die because of this!! Ok, let's set this to easy. Err, ok it's hard but interesting.

Adventure: F4... Galcop Registry? What's this? Wow, all those maps, I'm POWERFUL, HAHAHA!!
Lost lore? Hidden equipment in this unknown ship? Nope, standard.

Being a 2018 earth transdimensional traveler (4th wall breaking gold-plated excuse), I can't escape the fact that either I'm in a galaxy where technology/information is plentiful, and well... screen ergonomics should be better than what's available in my F4 console, or I'm in a galaxy where technology/information is scarce, and this instant perfectly exact collection of maps shouldn't exist.
How is it that this information hasn't been tampered with? Does Galcop acknowledge so readily that so many systems are in anarchy?

End of rambling, it was fun while it lasted.
New rambling ahead in form of suggestions. Feel free to disregard.

The given information could be blatantly false, because of political or business propaganda.
The given information could be outdated, because of government changes (why yes, I dream of this in Diplomacy).
The given information could be sold very expensively, small pieces after small pieces, or even acquired as the result of a mission.
The given information could be discovered, through system exploration, and well... maybe only through planetfall :p

Technical suggestions:
- could it be possible to make GalCop Galactic Registry compatible with Zeromap and/or Here be dragons?
- could it be possible to register other maps into the ship's Galactic Registry? (Yes, I think to Diplomacy relations map and alliances/wars map). It would make sense for the captain to have a maps room to plot his travels (or a maps interface for us poor captains) and have all his maps in the same place.

Final disclaimer: quite nice oxp, that Registry :p
phkb

Post by phkb »

Day wrote:
quite nice oxp, that Registry :p
Thanks! I'm glad you like it!
Day wrote:
The given information could be blatantly false, because of political or business propaganda.
The given information could be outdated, because of government changes (why yes, I dream of this in Diplomacy).
The only issue with these is how to communicate to the player, in a non-obvious kind of way, that the data is old or false. Because otherwise it just ends up looking like a bug.
Day wrote:
The given information could be sold very expensively, small pieces after small pieces, or even acquired as the result of a mission.
This is certainly possible, although monetary unlocks are rather uninteresting from a gameplay perspective. Missions might be the better option. I'll have a think about this, and how mission unlocks would fit in the game world.
Day wrote:
could it be possible to make GalCop Galactic Registry compatible with Zeromap and/or Here be dragons?
Possibly. I'll have a look at the code and see what's required.
Day wrote:
could it be possible to register other maps into the ship's Galactic Registry?
Again, possibly. I'll see if I can come up with an interface for this.
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Day wrote:
The only issue with these is how to communicate to the player, in a non-obvious kind of way, that the data is old or false. Because otherwise it just ends up looking like a bug.
Oh. Yes.
Day wrote:
This is certainly possible, although monetary unlocks are rather uninteresting from a gameplay perspective. Missions might be the better option. I'll have a think about this, and how mission unlocks would fit in the game world.
About unlocks, why not having an alternative money, not convertible into credits? Let's say it could be a way to recognize and settle debts in a particular community which values particularly information. The Raxxla news circle: "Truth will set you free".
Hmm, this addresses the lack of confidence in information not found in that circle or personally verified, but it does not address information staleness.
I guess this could be a scenario twist. I don't remember another game where information staleness is used, in fact.

About monetary abundance, that's why I created Diplomacy in the first place: to reduce the player funds through taxation and keep the game interesting long-term monetary-wise. Wars are only a mean to use this taxed money without having the player avoid the oxp just because tax.

Edit: one currency per guild?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Version 4.0 of the GalCop Galactic Registry is now available. Two things in this version

1. First, it should now work with ZeroMap and Here Be Dragons (and any other OXP that makes changes to the system.concealed property). For ZeroMap, this was a bit trickier, as that OXP is trying to remain compatible with all other OXP's and only flags systems as concealed when you show a screen with a map on it, and then unflags all systems when that screen is closed. There's a small bug in ZeroMap because of changes in 1.88 that adds a new mission map screen.

2. There is now a 3rd party interface for adding extra collections of systems, regions or paths. See doco on the [EliteWiki] wiki for details on usage.