Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Spacebars

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Spacebars

Post by Imaginos »

I know this may seem dumb but I have trouble locating the docking area on spacebars.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Spacebars

Post by CaptSolo »

Spacebar looks like a castle with towers jutting out of the asteroid, and the very top is adorned with a neon sign. The dock is located at the bottom.
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

Thanks Capt.
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

Invest in Docking Computers, and locating entrances is irrelevant... ;)
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

onno256 wrote:
Not quite.
Using "fast dock" at non-main stations results in the slow docking sequence running, you don't want to watch that every time. Moreover, it can result in BOOM press space, e.g. try at a deep space dredger. IIRC I also BOOM pressed space when doing that at a main station once. Watch and cease immediately if you come too close to something. Other times it results in the sequence failing and you drifting away into space. It worked at space bars however so far for me, so you can use it to locate the dock. You don't get to see much of the bar however.
Using "fast dock" at main stations is safe, but costs 20 ingame minutes which you may not want to spend.
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Alternatively try [wiki]ILS[/wiki]: press "r", target the station then hold down "i" to enjoy the speedy feeling of a fast autopilot. Just be ready to stop in emergency or activate your missiles by "t" key which turn off ILS. Do not forget to roll in the last seconds if your ship is wider than the height of the dock - nowadays the large docks of main stations need rolling in Cobra3 only.
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

Anonymissimus wrote:
onno256 wrote:
Not quite.
Using "fast dock" at non-main stations results in the slow docking sequence running, you don't want to watch that every time. Moreover, it can result in BOOM press space, e.g. try at a deep space dredger. IIRC I also BOOM pressed space when doing that at a main station once. Watch and cease immediately if you come too close to something. Other times it results in the sequence failing and you drifting away into space. It worked at space bars however so far for me, so you can use it to locate the dock. You don't get to see much of the bar however.
Using "fast dock" at main stations is safe, but costs 20 ingame minutes which you may not want to spend.
Ohh, but i don't use the fastdock on nonmain station, i just press c and keep an eye on the scanner... ;)
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

I was referring to key_autodock (fast (real world time) docking at main stations) as opposed to key_autopilot; at non-main stations, these are the same.
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

Ahh, but leisurly docking with 'c ' gives you time to take in the scenery and decide when you've got to get the hell out off there (battles between bounty hunters and the yakuza are not things i want to get drawn into)... ;)
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Maybe this will help:

When the station comes into view, align it so that it is horizontal,. This usually works if you are approaching from the witch point or the planet.

Then the docking port is at the blunt end. Approach with the station off centre to you so that the docking port will point towards you as you pass.

At the right moment switch to side view (F3 or F4). When the station comes into view you can see the port. Turn as necessary to line up the port (roughly). Come to a dead stop and swing around so that the station is in front of you.

Line up and dock. See you in the bar.