Caduceus Alpha

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Caduceus Alpha

Post by Thargoid »

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Vortex repair system is very similar to the one used on the Caduceus (and Repair Bots oxp) .
Those repair system only affect equipment, and you should still get maintenance overhauls .

I think the cause of no maintenance overhauls is the player.ship.restoreSubEntities() in vortex this.shipWillDockWithStation .
As you reported in Turrent Toggler thread (TT code is based on vortex script) , removing / restoring subentities has an impact on service level.
The repair code in Vortex, Caduceus and Repair Bots is based on the same code, so works similarly on equipment.

But the Vortex in addition is scripted to not need maintenance overhauls as stated. That is unique to the Vortex, and is nothing to do with the equipment repair script. For those interested, it's at the end of shipWillDockWithStation in vortex_player.js (lines 231 and 232) which does an overhaul at every docking (awarding and removing again an EQ_RENOVATION (the code was written before the service level was directly accessible to scripting).

This is in addition to the work-around for the turret toggling, which as noted impacts service level, and affects the TT OXZ which is indeed based on my scripting.
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

Thargoid wrote:
But the Vortex in addition is scripted to not need maintenance overhauls as stated. That is unique to the Vortex, and is nothing to do with the equipment repair script. For those interested, it's at the end of shipWillDockWithStation in vortex_player.js (lines 231 and 232) which does an overhaul at every docking (awarding and removing again an EQ_RENOVATION (the code was written before the service level was directly accessible to scripting).
Are you sure that that works and the effect is not just granted by the toggler instead ?
Anyway, a clean way is (with current oolite version) something like

Code: Select all

this.shipWillExitWitchspace = function()
{
	if(player.ship.name !== "Caduceus Omega" && player.ship.name !== "Caduceus Alpha") { return; }

player.ship.serviceLevel = 100;
}
The service level is recalculated at witchspace exit - better moment to do it.
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It worked at the time I wrote it, which was before the service level was exposed to JS.

It may or may not work now, I have no idea. Your way is how it should be done now.

But as Vortex is currently unadopted and orphaned (since I retired, I've no longer enough time to support all the OXZs) then either someone will have to take it over or users will have to make local modifications themselves if they wish (or just do maintenance overhauls if required).
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

~!!

Post by Alex »

Hi Frunobulax,
I've had my Caddy OMG the Gertrude Oblitz for quite a few years now, probably one of the first.
I've no idea about the damage report? Didn't even know there was such a thing you could check apart from looking at your equip list.
But the self heal thing does work just takes a heap of time.
When she was new I tried it out when my planetry landing went gaga. Took about 20 jumps before it came back on line, I got the repair bots then and tried again, brought the jump count down a bit, But not enough, I was losing profits larger than the repair or even buying a new one out right. So just went with the repairs. Same for the overhauls, Mine cost about 12,000 at a navy station or 20-26K at good tech worlds. Last time I looked at the Gertrudes trade in value, it was just under 1.8Mc.

My Omega has 3 turrets either side and a plasma top and bottom. might sound Uber, but isn't. Not with the baddies I tend to encounter. I still see the dreaded "Press Space" far more often than I would like. Was getting so much so that I installed another 3 turrets on the tail, 1 at either side of the engines and 1 in the middle. Nice little surprise for they barstewards that like to hog my bum. And I still get my iron clad ass handed to me quite often! :?

Ah, the missing lasers explained, mine were a very nice neon cobolt blue. Custom job (Had to get a palett prog to get the codes for it.)
Until I put in version 1.80, then no lasers. Can't say I overly missed them. My target reticul goes red but it's the very lovely sound of a hit and actually seeing the 'baddies' hull glow a nice red and shed plates that more than made up for it, seeing the lasers hid that before.

As for the rear view, never used it. Or should say never could. I eventually installed reverse control but was so used to not using it, have never used that either. As for side views, just for admiring other ships as I pass them. Makes me wonder why I have ML's on them all?
But hopefully some of the other Cmdrs here will sort the view out for you. They tend to very good at that sort of thing.

Once a Caddy Cmdr.. :D
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Frunobulax
Above Average
Above Average

Re: ~!!

Post by Frunobulax »

Alex wrote:
I've no idea about the damage report? Didn't even know there was such a thing you could check apart from looking at your equip list.
Oolite has really matured in the last years. The damage report MFD is one of many nice little features that are fairly simple, but add some decent value to the gameplay. The MFD disappears if no equipment is damaged - maybe this interferes with something in the Caddy OXP.
Alex wrote:
My Omega has 3 turrets either side and a plasma top and bottom. might sound Uber, but isn't.
Are the turrets a different OXP? Haven't seen an option to add turrets at the side. But then, I didn't continue with my Caddy (due to the problems with the Hyperspace Hangar). Bought an Omega instead yesterday, but didn't do anything with it yet except to visit the nearest Navy station and get all those nice little upgrades. (I didn't play much in the last few days.)
Alex wrote:
Ah, the missing lasers explained, mine were a very nice neon cobolt blue. Custom job (Had to get a palett prog to get the codes for it.)
In the rear view I did see the lasers. Weird.
Alex wrote:
As for the rear view, never used it. Or should say never could. I eventually installed reverse control but was so used to not using it, have never used that either.
Oi, without the rear view I would have to press space a lot more :) I often run, and try to pick up the opponents that can follow me. Hit them hard with a ML or prime a missile, and they will break pursuit and run.

Regards, F.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

I thought all the Caddies had side turrets? I went straight for the Omega and they were standard. No the turrets aren't an oxp, I just copied the code for the side ones and repositioned them with a lot of help from some Cmdrs here. Knew nothing about how to do it so just asked.
Really is the best BB I've ever used. :D

I do get a notice about damage as it happens and about cargo destroyed, but usually a tad busy to be taking much notice at the time. I thought you ment you could press a key and a damage report would come up on the hud?
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
Frunobulax
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Frunobulax »

AFAIK Omega has slots for lasers at the sides and turrets at the top and bottom.

Regards, F.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Na.

Turrets on sides, Plasma/zero cannon top and bottom.

<string>caduceusturret 8.0 -2.7 26.0 1 0 -1 0</string>
<string>caduceusturret 8.0 -2.7 13.0 1 0 -1 0</string>
<string>caduceusturret 8.0 -2.7 0.0 1 0 -1 0</string>
<string>caduceusturret -8.0 -2.7 26.0 1 0 1 0</string>
<string>caduceusturret -8.0 -2.7 13.0 1 0 1 0</string>
<string>caduceusturret -8.0 -2.7 0.0 1 0 1 0</string>
<string>caduceusturret 0.0 -4.0 -60.0 0 -1 -1 0</string>
<string>caduceusturret -7 -4.0 -61.0 0 -1 -1 0</string>
<string>caduceusturret 7 -4.0 -61.0 0 -1 -1 0</string>

<string>zeroturret -0.198 -7.8 -32.0 1 -1 0 0</string>
<string>zeroturret 0.0 1.4 -14.8 1 1 0 0</string>

And that gives you the three I added.

Feel free to use the extra turrets. I learned a lot getting the positioning where I wanted them. Initially thought about putting them on the vertical tail. Didn't like the look.
Make sure you add it to the player version of the model your flying.

I use Note++ to edit code. It's a free download, or was when I got it.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Also has laser positions as usual
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Alpha, 3 light broadside turrets on the neck port and starboard.

Omega neck turrets plus the sun guns top and bottom. Bit OTT but people don't have to add it to their game spec.

In both configurations it drives like sports car and fights like a tank. Basically. If you like the look but not the boom try hacking out the turrets and say adding say .5 to the speed? It's a wild ride. :D
Frunobulax
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Frunobulax »

ClymAngus wrote:
Alpha, 3 light broadside turrets on the neck port and starboard.

Omega neck turrets plus the sun guns top and bottom. Bit OTT but people don't have to add it to their game spec.

In both configurations it drives like sports car and fights like a tank. Basically. If you like the look but not the boom try hacking out the turrets and say adding say .5 to the speed? It's a wild ride.
It's a neat ship, that's for sure. Next ship I'll try is the Vortex.

.f
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

A fine ship the vortex. Very nippy.