Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

"Star Wars Downunder"

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

"Star Wars Downunder"

Post by Ranthe »

What would happen if you crossed Star Wars with an Australian beer commercial? Answer: Star Wars Downunder, an epic tale of the good the bad and the thirsty. Directed by Michael Cox and written by Michael Cox and Bryan Meakin, Star Wars Downunder, is half an hour of action, special effects and lovable Aussie larakins.

The film tells the story of a lone Jedi, Merve Bushwacker, returning home after a long absence. His mission? To partake in a refreshing beverage, known locally as amber fluid. On his arrival, he is dismayed to discover the planet has become as dry as a dead dingo′s donger, thanks to the tyrannical rule of Darth Drongo. Drongo has hoarded all the amber fluid in his impenetrable fortress “Dunny’s Deep” for reasons unknown. Can Merve, and a motley collection of unlikely allies band together to topple Drongo’s evil regime? Will liberty and amber fluid flow freely once more?

http://swdufanfilm.com/film/

(Video subtitles are conveniently provided for those unfortunate enough to not understand "Ocker".)
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: "Star Wars Downunder"

Post by spud42 »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i only watched the opening sequence so fa i must say i love it...

Ned Kelly armoured storm troopers, Darth Drongo on a mechanical kangaroo.... must be i Queensland cause the yellow sign with the 4 red symbols sure reminds me of XXXX... lol
and the best bit? LIGHT BOOMERANGS !!!!!!!!!!!!! i have not stopped laughing.... got to see the rest hope it lives up to the first scene...
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

:lol: That is great. So well done, at so many levels. As a Pom I'm sure I missed some of the comedy & cultural references, but it was very funny.
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Queenslanders still do casual racism in a way that died out in the rest of Aus decades ago. Why is Nugget a cane toad but all the whitefellas human? And XXXX, no matter how much effort they put into "viral" advertising, will still taste like brine, not beer. Apart from those two things it was good.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Awesome, even though I don't drink beer...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wildeblood wrote:
And XXXX, no matter how much effort they put into "viral" advertising, will still taste like brine, not beer.
You should try South Australia's Southwark Bitter some time.. you'll never badmouth XXXX again!

(Anyway, as I recall, you Sandgropers have one pretty vile brew yourselves.. don't recall the brand, my traumatised brain seems to have erased it from memory.)

*confession* My one bad habit picked up from 12 years in Queensland was a taste for XXXX Gold. :oops:
I'll agree with you, however, that standard XXXX is awful stuff.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

yep gold is best!!!

i think that foul WA stuff was swan ???? was that a A.Bond thing?

dont drink a lot of beer myself anymore but when i did it was my own homebrew stout...

now Tooheys OLD ,and of course Guiness top the list but a few irish ales go down well too Cafferys being one..
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Diziet Sma wrote:
My one bad habit picked up from 12 years in Queensland was a taste for XXXX Gold. :oops:
spud42 wrote:
yep gold is best!!!
Seriously, XXXX Gold tastes exactly like seawater. You know you'll go mad by drinking seawater. That's probably why long-term exposure to XXXX Gold causes the delusion that it tastes like beer, not seawater. Drinking that stuff has damaged your brains.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Diziet Sma wrote:
This is the reason why you export a lot of it. It's Australia's W.M.A.= Weapon of Mass Amnesia.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

back in '92 on a holiday to the old dart...

we were in rural Wales, just driving along and spotted a ruin. stopped for photo op. lunch time so we went to the village and rocked into the local.

What did i see as we entered????

XXXX everywhere ! beer mats advertising bunting.etc... shocked to say the least. had a nice cold drop though....

WORST beer i ever had in my life was in Hastings. we had a rental house for a week in the old town. streets 2 yards wide.. lol
anyway we walk to the local and my step dad asks the landlord "what do the locals drink?" what could possibly go wrong???

Spitfire ale thats what... fermented spitfire sump oil after it has been used for several sorties over the channel shooting down Messerschmitt BF109's
the most foul thing i have ever drunk... and to add insult to injury he bought 2 pints!! a half would have been safer... never went back to that pub.. lol
OR i could go with
or simply
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

ClymAngus wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
This is the reason why you export a lot of it. It's Australia's W.M.A.= Weapon of Mass Amnesia.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
spud42 wrote:
WORST beer i ever had in my life was in Hastings. we had a rental house for a week in the old town. streets 2 yards wide.. lol
anyway we walk to the local and my step dad asks the landlord "what do the locals drink?" what could possibly go wrong???

Spitfire ale thats what... fermented spitfire sump oil after it has been used for several sorties over the channel shooting down Messerschmitt BF109's
the most foul thing i have ever drunk... and to add insult to injury he bought 2 pints!! a half would have been safer... never went back to that pub.. lol
At least you could TASTE it. I remember the time I tried Miller Lite in the KLM Business Class lounge in Los Angeles in 1997 - and I'm STILL waiting for the taste to come through! :roll:
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

true that.... no taste and no kick... slightly yellowish water that was shown the picture of a hop once, 20 years ago... lol
OR i could go with
or simply
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Does anyone else hate hipsters as much as I do?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wildeblood wrote:
Seriously, XXXX Gold tastes exactly like seawater.
You do realise there are two XXX Golds, don't you?

There's regular XXXX Gold, and then there's XXXX Gold Australian Pale Ale. I'll grant you that APA tastes like seawater.. but not the regular stuff.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Diziet Sma wrote:
There's regular XXXX Gold, and then there's XXXX Gold Australian Pale Ale. I'll grant you that APA tastes like seawater.. but not the regular stuff.
Okay, smart guy, if it doesn't taste like seawater, what does it taste like? I will acknowledge it doesn't really taste exactly like seawater, but it tastes more like seawater than anything else.

They didn't make two versions back when I tried it (a fair few years ago now, because I'm not a beer drinker anyway) and I've never given it a second try. Because why would you, when it tastes like seawater?

Really, I know it doesn't taste exactly like seawater, but I cannot think of any better description. It's the dropbear of beers: any foreign devils reading this will assume I'm joking, but a koala with rabies is no laughing matter, eh Johnny?