Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Release] Station Ads

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Station Ads

Post by Fritz »

spara wrote:
I have never examined the docks in such detail as I did when aligning the dock ads.
Did you ever cause a huge traffic jam by "parking" your ship immediately outside the dock and forgetting it while you wrote something in the forum or did something else? :oops: I think, the controller or the police should say something in this case, but they don't.
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Fritz wrote:
I think, the controller or the police should say something in this case, but they don't.
What about docking clearance being timed-out?

I really like the tunnel ads, distracting though they are. I ain't too sure about the external ads - at waiting distance, Dodos with two ads look too much like a face!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Cody wrote:
When you launch and immediately return and block the docking port, you don't have one!
I really like the tunnel ads, distracting though they are. I ain't too sure about the external ads - at waiting distance, Dodos with two ads look too much like a face!
I think the tunnel ads are relatively unimportant. I use to wait for clearance about 4 to 5 km away from the station, and even at 3 km you don't see the tunnel walls, if you are aligned correctly. Less can be a problem because it infers with docking and launching of NPC ships. I've been rammed by a drunk (?) Viper pilot while I was looking at the ads, and I was the one that became fugitive... :evil:
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Fritz wrote:
Cody wrote:
When you launch and immediately return and block the docking port, you don't have one!
The game really should nag about blocking the port. Just the way it warns you about not having a landing clearance. No need for penalties in my opinion, constantly repeating message would be enough.
Fritz wrote:
Cody wrote:
I think the tunnel ads are relatively unimportant. I use to wait for clearance about 4 to 5 km away from the station, and even at 3 km you don't see the tunnel walls, if you are aligned correctly. Less can be a problem because it infers with docking and launching of NPC ships. I've been rammed by a drunk (?) Viper pilot while I was looking at the ads, and I was the one that became fugitive... :evil:
I think they both serve a purpose. Dock ads are just for decoration, they make the dock seem more alive, more plausible. At this point, being new, they naturally draw more attention, but in the long run they'll just be one of the details of the dock. Front ads then again are fully readable at close proximity, just don't stand in front of the dock. Again, being new they draw attention and you want to see them all and such, but in the long run they'll blend into being a detail of the station hopefully making it more alive and adding some variance.

Speaking of front ads and variance, I though long and hard about the bigger ads at the ico and came to conclusion that I prefer the smaller ones. And that's because of the sense of scale they give. So I reverted back to the previous configuration as I think it's better. I also moved the ads on coriolis a bit closer so that the impression of face would go away.

For comparison, here's a pic of all three stations with equal sized ads.

Version 0.13: https://app.box.com/s/zmoex2ufe6opw5ezgvk1qds1fh7rkyek

* Back to smaller and more numerous Ico front ads
* Repositioned Dodo's front ads

And Cody, if desired, I can make an add-on to this oxp removing the front ads :wink: .
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Fun idea.. why not have front ads both sides of the Dock, both oriented so they're right-way-up when above the dock? Seems the kind of thing an advertising droid would think of doing.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody

Post by Cody »

spara wrote:
And Cody, if desired, I can make an add-on to this oxp removing the front ads.
I think I may need such an add-on, but let's see if I can get used to them first.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Could you have it as a configuration option selectable on F4, as though it were an equipment add-on?
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

I played Oolite for some hours this evening without restarting the game, and at some point I noticed that no front ads were shown anymore even in hi-tech systems. The dockside ads seemed normal. (I still use version 0.10 of the OXP).
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Fritz wrote:
I played Oolite for some hours this evening without restarting the game, and at some point I noticed that no front ads were shown anymore even in hi-tech systems. The dockside ads seemed normal. (I still use version 0.10 of the OXP).
I'll check it out. Anything in the log?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Fritz wrote:
It could be be done, but I think a suppressor will be enough. If it's needed altogether.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

I found a couple of bugs, but I'm not sure they are the culprit. I flew around for over 20 jumps and all seemed normal. I came across one broken screen (smashed), but that's normal, they sometimes (rarely) break. In that case there can be a BSD, smashed screen or just dead screen. Anyway, this version (0.14) fixes the bugs I encountered: https://app.box.com/s/0cobujd2exng1sbt4e4ll7t68hwnohpf.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

spara wrote:
Anything in the log?
What should I look for? It's an extremely long log with more than 18000 Lines (the OXP "Log Events" is active). I went over the last trip, ending at Zauseris station (an Icosahedron), but I found nothing suspicious.

But then I found out that the long playing time isn't the problem. I just reloaded the Zauseris save, and after launching, the front ads still are missing. There are two ads in the tunnel, one on each side, and one of them is upside down in relation to the "welcome" text.

Zauseris is communist, average industrial, TL 12.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Same with version 0.14 except the orientation issue. Is there anything concerning the ads in the save files?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Fritz wrote:
Same with version 0.14 except the orientation issue. Is there anything concerning the ads in the save files?
No, nothing is saved. I'll check Zauseris tomorrow, maybe I'll figure out what's going on. Zauseris should not have any front ads at all if it's a commie world. Oh my :roll: .
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

spara wrote:
Zauseris should not have any front ads at all if it's a commie world. Oh my :roll: .
Really? Then relax! :) Everything is ok... I thought that TL alone was relevant for the number of ads.