Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Release] Station Ads

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Station Ads

Post by Layne »

Fritz wrote:
I wonder what kind of ads you would find in feudal systems or anarchies...
Anarchy systems should have broken, vandalized variants of the ad billboards with lots of graffiti.
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Bounty hunter bulletins :)
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Here's a wip image of Ico station. Two front ads and two vertical dock-side ads. Nicer dock-side ad frame modified from YAH's asteroid billboard.

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Can't help thinking that's all going to be really distracting during a manual dock.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Looks great!

But what if you dock "upside down"? Is there a way to adjust the ads? (Fiction: Some kind of sensor can detect the ship's orientation, and the TFT billboards are switched accordingly.)
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

Fritz wrote:
I wonder what kind of ads you would find in [...] anarchies... :roll: .
Maybe some quote from Pierre-Joseph Proodhon, Mikail Bookunin, Murray Bookchin (and this is it's real name :D), Emma Gooldman, Piotr Kroopotkin... and so on :P
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Don't forget Krooschev in communist systems!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

This could be the ico station of a corporate system with high productivity. In this picture there's also one screen that's been smashed by a reckless pilot, one that's just dead and one showing that there are BSDs in the future too. In short, I'm putting in rare malfunctions to the screens that stay the same, until the player changes system. Takes time to repair them and all.

Fritz wrote:
But what if you dock "upside down"?
The ads actually naturally give it an up and down. You can dock in upside down of course.
ffutures wrote:
Can't help thinking that's all going to be really distracting during a manual dock.
:lol: . It's the same with road side ads, isn't it?

System themed ads are a bit of a though call. It's GalCop after all that's running the stations and controls the ads. How much influence does the system gov have over the station? I'm all open for reasoning and ideas here.

I'm currently thinking that all three station types could have a few configurations of ads (from 0 to many), so that icos would have most ads, then coriolises and then dodos depending on the productivity and gov of the system.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

How much influence does the system gov have over the station? I'm all open for reasoning and ideas here.
GalCop owns and controls the stations and would rent the billboards to local companies that want to sell their products to space travellers or wanting them to go down to the planet. In case of communist systems, the communist state could rent the ad space and use it for propaganda (pictures of the current party leaders?). But even in real life communist states like the GDR there have been ads around.
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Fritz wrote:
GalCop owns and controls the stations and would rent the billboards to local companies...
I'd expect to see plenty of GalCop propaganda too!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Tichy wrote:
Fritz wrote:
I wonder what kind of ads you would find in [...] anarchies... :roll: .
Maybe some quote from Pierre-Joseph Proodhon, Mikail Bookunin, Murray Bookchin (and this is it's real name :D), Emma Gooldman, Piotr Kroopotkin... and so on :P
Good idea! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Fritz wrote:
But even in real life communist states like the GDR there have been ads around.
Of course.. because what most people don't understand is that the so-called Communist states, aren't really communist, but simply State Capitalism, as opposed to Private Capitalism. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cody wrote:
Fritz wrote:
GalCop owns and controls the stations and would rent the billboards to local companies...
I'd expect to see plenty of GalCop propaganda too!
Good point!
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Those mockups are absolutely amazing!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

The first version (0.9) to test: https://app.box.com/s/bnfzuxuo262revrdiheh61hs9qzk7c29.

* Adds front ads to confederacies, democracies and corporatic systems with varying configurations. Adds dock-side ads to all system stations.
* Compatible with default stations and Griff's normalmapped stations.
* Over 400 YAH ads included.

Have fun and please report any oddities.