Wear and tear strain

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Hullblazer
Competent
Competent

Wear and tear strain

Post by Hullblazer »

Hi all

I've fitted the Witchdrive injectors and now am far happier as I can blast away from "j" drive tailgaters. However (and this could be psychosomatic) it does seem to increase hull degradation?

I'm in the early stages of a new game (still money piling around Leesti/Diso) and cannot find a repair facility - can anyone help with the names of a few G1 stations that give thios facility on F3?

Thanks!
You can't help growing old. You can help growing up... "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Wear and tear strain

Post by another_commander »

Main stations will offer a maintenance service in the Equip Ship screen once your hull has degraded enough. You don't need to look for any special repair facility.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Hullblazer wrote:
hull degradation?
I think you mean serviceLevel. This is not affected by Injectors but hyperjumps to another system and received hits without shields in combat.

Maintenance overhaul will be offered in the equipment shop in any system with at least techlevel 7 when your ship reach an enough wrong state.
Hullblazer
Competent
Competent

Post by Hullblazer »

Ah, so I can't call it up and must just wait until it's offered? Thank you! I'll stop looking and enjoy flying now. :D
You can't help growing old. You can help growing up... "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

Norby wrote:
Hullblazer wrote:
hull degradation?
I think you mean serviceLevel. This is not affected by Injectors but hyperjumps to another system and received hits without shields in combat.
One thing I always wondered about this, does the game engine care if the Witchspace jump is generated by your own ship versus bumming a lift on some NPC's wormhole? Does the service level drop just from passing through Witchspace? Can you extend the shelf life of your vessel by hitch-hiking?
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hullblazer wrote:
Ah, so I can't call it up and must just wait until it's offered? Thank you! I'll stop looking and enjoy flying now. :D
When it IS offered, before taking them up on the offer, check to see what's the highest Tech-Level system in the region, and get it done there, if practical to do so. The higher the TL your servicing is done at, the better the job they do, and the longer it will be before it needs doing again. A high TL service immediately before trading your ship in for another will ensure you get the maximum possible trade-in value for your old ship, too.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Hullblazer
Competent
Competent

Post by Hullblazer »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Hullblazer wrote:
When it IS offered, before taking them up on the offer, check to see what's the highest Tech-Level system in the region, and get it done there, if practical to do so. The higher the TL your servicing is done at, the better the job they do, and the longer it will be before it needs doing again. A high TL service immediately before trading your ship in for another will ensure you get the maximum possible trade-in value for your old ship, too.

That's brilliant advice, thank you!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Layne wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:22 pm
Norby wrote:
Hullblazer wrote:
hull degradation?
One thing I always wondered about this, does the game engine care if the Witchspace jump is generated by your own ship versus bumming a lift on some NPC's wormhole? Does the service level drop just from passing through Witchspace? Can you extend the shelf life of your vessel by hitch-hiking?
Does anybody have an answer to this one? I, too, have often wondered...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Your ship's service level will potentially degrade no matter what method you use to enter a wormhole. The one scenario I haven't tracked down is where you are docked with some sort of carrier/big ship and *it* performs the jump.