Missile malfunction - bug or feature?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: Missile malfunction - bug or feature?

Post by Norby »

Anonymissimus wrote:
cargo canisters etc still don't decelerate.
Put this into AddOns/Your.oxp/Config/shipdata-overrides.plist and cargo ejected from a stationary ship will stop at 1km:

Code: Select all

{ "oolite_template_barrel" = { thrust = 1; }; }
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Norby wrote:
Anonymissimus wrote:
cargo canisters etc still don't decelerate.
Put this into AddOns/Your.oxp/Config/shipdata-overrides.plist and cargo ejected from a stationary ship will stop at 1km:

Code: Select all

{ "oolite_template_barrel" = { thrust = 1; }; }
Hehehe.. cargo canisters with engines? Think I'll pass..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Anonymissimus wrote:
But cargo canisters etc still don't decelerate.

Anyway, my point was that the thing to do is what makes most sense gameplay/balancing wise. Even at cruising speed a fast ship can outrun a missile so-so (it comes nearer but the fuel is consumed in time). Adding the firing ship's speed destroys that.
I agree - I think missiles that are launched at injector speeds should slow down to their standard maximum speed when their own engines kick in/grip the phlogiston (after all, ships slow down when you turn off their injectors: we're not talking Newtonian physics here, clearly - cargo canisters are unpowered and ballistic, but give something an engine and it should obey the rules of that engine). Although as Anonymissimus says, this is for gameplay reasons, to avoid creating superfast missiles - I doubt the AI has sufficient smarts to be able to cope with this tactic, offensively or defensively.

It makes firing missiles while injecting a dangerous proposition - but using ordnance at high velocities has always carried a risk:
http://www.aerofiles.com/tiger-tail.html
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Diziet Sma wrote:
cargo canisters with engines?
No, it is only the friction of Oospace. The canisters still has not any pilots (AI) who can increase the throttle from zero so can break only.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Norby wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
cargo canisters with engines?
No, it is only the friction of Oospace. The canisters still has not any pilots (AI) who can increase the throttle from zero so can break only.
I was aware of that.. was making a bad joke.. sorry.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Cargo canisters dropped at injector speed are a bit annoying because it is almost impossible to pick them up. It is especially annoying when they are dropped as a "sign of good will" which often happens while fleeing at injector speed. And these people wonder why I attack them again!
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
avder
Above Average
Above Average

Post by avder »

The way a missile ought to be fired is when it's created it inherits the creating objects speed and direction at the point of launch, but is also given another boost perpendicular to the direction of travel to get it away from the ship. Then when the engine kicks in it can accelerate/decelerate whatever.

Have the ooniverse treat it like a cargo container with an extra bit of thrust away from the firing ship for that first half second, then when its engines kick in it can be effected by the same applied phlebotinum effect that allows ships to stop dead in space over a planet and get the missile to its own max speed.

For fun, have a missile alert happen when a missiles engine kicks in instead of when it's launched.

One thing I've been doing in game that seems to help is I try to pull my nose up as I'm launching.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

avder wrote:
The way a missile ought to be fired is when it's created it inherits the creating objects speed and direction at the point of launch, but is also given another boost perpendicular to the direction of travel to get it away from the ship. Then when the engine kicks in it can accelerate/decelerate whatever.

Have the ooniverse treat it like a cargo container with an extra bit of thrust away from the firing ship for that first half second, then when its engines kick in it can be effected by the same applied phlebotinum effect that allows ships to stop dead in space over a planet and get the missile to its own max speed.

For fun, have a missile alert happen when a missiles engine kicks in instead of when it's launched.
I like these suggestions.. 8)
Stormrider
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Stormrider »

Diziet Sma wrote:
avder wrote:

I like these suggestions.. 8)
Me too.
I did look at the Cobra again recently, though, and realized that the missile launch position is only 0.5 (half a yard/meter) below the ship, not much really, but enough so there hasn't been a problem with it. Considering this I don't believe much perpendicular boost would be necessary. It may be easier to simply adjust the shipdata.plists as cim suggests as it simulates the same effect and its such a small amount I don't think you will really notice it visually.
Disembodied wrote:
Although as Anonymissimus says, this is for gameplay reasons, to avoid creating superfast missiles - I doubt the AI has sufficient smarts to be able to cope with this tactic, offensively or defensively.
Sure, I see your point, it probably is more balanced to keep core missiles at a reasonable speed.
Disembodied wrote:
It makes firing missiles while injecting a dangerous proposition - but using ordnance at high velocities has always carried a risk:
What an amazing story, thanks for the link. Poor fellow, what were they thinking :roll: .
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Stormrider wrote:
simply adjust the shipdata.plists
I am afraid we can not do it in all OXP ships. I think the best is either:
- release the brakes by setting missile thrust to 0 during the first second like in my fix,
-or ignite the engines right at start.