Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Roadrunners, emus, wedge-tailed eagles, kiwis & YOU!

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Roadrunners, emus, wedge-tailed eagles, kiwis & YOU!

Post by Wildeblood »

Payment in return follows and smilies only, no AUD or other currency. :P :D :D :D

I have just joined Twitter and am feeling self-conscious about my lack of followers. Please help road runner conservation in Australia by following the Road Runner Party and using the hashtag #RRinAus.

https://twitter.com/rorupar

Be quick before some passing board moderator mistakes this public service announcement for shameless spam and deletes it.
Last edited by Wildeblood on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Want Twitter followers, will pay!

Post by Alex »

What is twitter?
Seriously, I hear/read a little about these sort of sites, like facebook? ye? Have never actually paid any of them any notice before.
Does it cost to join twitter?
How much invasion of my privicy to join? If they need a phone number, well I don't have one.
Made it a real problem to register with my.gov.au. Had to go to gov office and have them commit the fraud by entering a false one. :lol: :lol:

Did you know it is illegal to use a false name in any subscription on the internet in most countries? US an UK included. Technically comes under fraud.
Bit like Scottish law about throwing snowballs.
Can be charged with " Respossible for unguided projectile". Think it originated to do with knives way back when pubs were mostly a couple of barrels with a plank in the street.

Edit: Just joined twitter with absolutly nothing real even just made up an e-mail for hotmail, remember them?
No phone no likes no anything, basically just a blank account that will never be accessed.
Now what did I call myself to join your followers, Damn should have wrote that down!

Edit 2: John Smith @whadayaknow17 following,, what ever that means. They even had a little banner worrying about me not recieving the confirm e-mail :lol: :lol: wonder why? But they did still let me use the site.
Was serious about knowing nothing about these type of sites
Last edited by Alex on Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Alex wrote:
What is twitter?
Seriously, I hear/read a little about these sort of sites, like facebook? ye? Have never actually paid any of them any notice before.
Does it cost to join twitter?
How much invasion of my privacy to join? If they need a phone number, well I don't have one.
I like Twitter because it's one of the few big sites you can still join without giving them anything more than a working email address. They ask for phone number at sign-up but there's a little "skip this step" link if you look closely.

As for my.gov.au - it's a shocker isn't it? But even with all that rigmarole I still think it's as useful for identity thieves as citizens. :(
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

see edits in previous post
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Alex wrote:
John Smith @whadayaknow17 following, what ever that means. They even had a little banner worrying about me not recieving the confirm e-mail :lol: :lol: wonder why? But they did still let me use the site.
Was serious about knowing nothing about these type of sites
Thanks, Alex.
:D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D

They must get a lot of people joining with bogus email addresses, because they actually allow you to edit your profile and change the email address before you use the link in the confirmation email. :shock:
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

W_E_Cyotee just followed ... be afraid.. be very afraid ..... lol
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Thanks, spud42. Smilies for you:-

:D :) :D :mrgreen: :D :) :D :mrgreen: :D :) :D :mrgreen: :D :) :D :mrgreen: :D :) :D :mrgreen: :D :) :D :mrgreen: :D :) :D

I haven't received any reply from the Greens party yet to my query regarding a conservation strategy for road runners in Australia. Disappointed!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wildeblood wrote:
I haven't received any reply from the Greens party yet to my query regarding a conservation strategy for road runners in Australia. Disappointed!
Surely the first step should be to actually find a roadrunner in Australia.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Surely the first step should be to actually find a roadrunner in Australia.. :wink:
We can always import them from North America if we can't find any.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Can't you just use Emus instead?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Smivs wrote:
Can't you just use Emus instead?
Do you know how big emus are? That coyote would be the one running.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Wildeblood wrote:
Do you know how big emus are?
Yes, I've been pecked by one. 8)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Smivs wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
Do you know how big emus are?
Yes, I've been pecked by one. 8)
Probably just a little zoo-bred one that's been fed a scientifically-formulated, "balanced" diet its whole life? The wild ones can grow much bigger if they acquire a taste for meat.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yes, in all fairness it was a zoo one, and of course it was all my fault. I was feeding one and mistakenly thought that the second one couldn't reach me because the 'Don't Feed The Emus' sign was blocking it.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Eagle tale

Post by Wildeblood »

At the now defunct Cahunu Wildlife Park in Perth they used to have a pen with wedge-tailed eagles in. Injured ones that would never fly again, they just waddled about. Wedge-tails are the world's largest eagles, but until you see them up close like that it's hard to imagine how big they are. They're nothing like a little peregrine falcon. The pen only had one fence, it wasn't double fenced or moated or anything flash. The eagles mostly just ignored the crowd and stayed on their perches.

So I had a Minolta 7000i, an early autofocus camera with an infra-red focus-assist flashing light on it. I was looking through the camera viewfinder, started focusing, and this eagle looks straight at me, hops off its perch onto the ground and starts waddling toward me. Apparently the bright infra-red was a sufficient novelty to attract its attention.

I was looking through the viewfinder, thinking, "Good, it's coming this way, I'll get a good photo."

And it got closer, and bigger... and bigger... and bigger. I was so intimidated I stepped away from the waist-high fence and forgot to actually take a photo.

As I said, usually in zoos they just ignore humans, and act as though we don't exist. When one was standing two feet in front of me, completely ignoring everyone else, and staring me straight in the eye, it's something I'll never forget. Did I mention they're really big up close?