Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Star Trek mod?!

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Hijase
Above Average
Above Average

Star Trek mod?!

Post by Hijase »

Greetings!

Thanks for creating such a great game. :)

I've seen there a few Star Trek Ships on the Oolite Mod Wiki, as well as a Star Trek HUD (Constitution and Romulan Bird).

Could someone please add those to the game's expansion pack list, as I'm playing from a Mac and any attempts to put add ons on the library make the game crash (as opposed to game's inbuilt add on/expansion manager that works fine...)?! I'd love to try them... :)

Best wishes from France! :)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Star Trek mod?!

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard...
Hijase wrote:
... as I'm playing from a Mac and any attempts to put add ons on the library make the game crash...
... that doesn't sound right. Hopefully, a Mac user will have some input.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Hijase
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Hijase »

Really, it's not a problem for me, using the game's built-in expansion manager. I think it's more "comfortable" than copying and pasting to the library.
I love the feel of the game would love to explore it with different ships from other Universes that we all know, so if somebody could upload the above mentioned mods to the expansion list I'd be really happy. :lol: :P :D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day and welcome aboard, Hijase! 8)
Cody wrote:
Hijase wrote:
... as I'm playing from a Mac and any attempts to put add ons on the library make the game crash...
... that doesn't sound right. Hopefully, a Mac user will have some input.
That definitely doesn't sound right.. first case I've heard of something like that happening. Are you making sure to unzip the OXPs first, before placing (just) the extracted OXP file into the AddOns folder?

The Mac version creates an AddOns folder at ~/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns/

Apologies if you know this already, but I keep forgetting about it: recent versions of OSX hide the Library folder by default. The quick way of seeing it is to use the Go menu in Finder: pressing Alt will add the Library folder to the list.

Or you can just make another AddOns folder inside the folder that contains Oolite (remembering that the Mac is case-sensitive, so call it AddOns, not Addons or addons or addOns or ADDONS, etc.) and put manually selected OXPs in there. The game reads both AddOns folders, according to the [wiki]OXP[/wiki] page on the wiki.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Hijase
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Hijase »

Yes it happens every time I try to instal mods manually by adding them to the exact library path you just described.
I'm on a Mac Book Pro with the latest OS X, i7 processor and so on.
But the game's inbuilt add on manager works perfectly. It's already fun to have such a functionality so I think the best and most comfortable for Mac users is for modern to add their mod to the Expansion pack list, as we can get it directly from the game (I love this perk). :mrgreen:
Hijase
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Hijase »

Cody wrote:
Welcome aboard...
Thank you very much! :D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hijase wrote:
Yes it happens every time I try to instal mods manually by adding them to the exact library path you just described.
If so, this is definitely a bug that should be reported. Please consider posting this to the Testing and Bug Reports sub-forum.

Additionally, just for completeness, can you try this
Or you can just make another AddOns folder inside the folder that contains Oolite (remembering that the Mac is case-sensitive, so call it AddOns, not Addons or addons or addOns or ADDONS, etc.) and put manually selected OXPs in there.
and test if the game also crashes if you put the OXPs there, instead?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Hijase
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Hijase »

Thank you very much! I was unable to access the forum these last days. :)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Hijase wrote:
Thank you very much! I was unable to access the forum these last days.
Not only you - the forum was down for a while during the last three days.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Hijase
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Hijase »

Roger that. Thank you.