Port/Starboard Lasers

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

Hmm

Side views are probably of limited use, tactically, unless your target is remaining relatively still or moving along one of your axes.

So, flying alongside a behemoth, it's quite easy to scratch the side of its paintwork; but for ships moving freely, your ship will have to move bizarrely to keep up with it on side view.

I'm not convinved that top and bottom views would be any more effective.

I see no harm in a key press for 'gun only' movement, whilst the ship ploughed on its path. Perhaps Caps Lock on/off?

Alternatively, just remember that pitch is roll, and roll is pitch!
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Cmdr Monte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cmdr Monte »

I use my starboard mount for minig too. I don't do any fancy manouvers to achieve it. I just fly past an aseroid and stop when I'm level with it.

I once tried to take out a python with side mounted mining lasers in the original elite. I got board eventualy and just killed him with my front lasers.

if the turrets make life too easy, perhaps they could be temporary, like i the end stage of a mission the navy lends you some super advanced craft for killing thargoids and you have to go fight in a battle. Maybe even flyinga behemouth. After the missions over, you get your old ship back. So you get to play with cool turrets but it doesn't make the game too easy in the long run?
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Possibly completely off topic (at the moment it appears crew come with the bigger ships?), but I always thought that in FE2 and FFE that crew should man the turrets. eg, if you are not controlling them manually then the AI would have a go at shooting for you.

Maybe this could be implemented into Oollite in some way. Or maybe best to ignore this post!
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

If/when I get around to player-ship turrets, they'll be slaved to the targeting system - the locked target will gain a marker (possibly turning red) when the turret is able to fire, and then pressing the fire button will do the rest.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

aegidian wrote:
If/when I get around to player-ship turrets, they'll be slaved to the targeting system - the locked target will gain a marker (possibly turning red) when the turret is able to fire, and then pressing the fire button will do the rest.
No offense, but that makes life a bit easy... Not to mention that it would make three pirates frighteningly dangerous.
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

If you do do it that way be sure to add an element of error to it, otherwise we could end up with the remote locked turrets being more accurate than the pilot, easy way to win a fight, lock on and turn away!
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.