Oolite v1.82, OSX Yosemite 10.10.4 - Game fails to load?

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JezA
Harmless
Harmless

Oolite v1.82, OSX Yosemite 10.10.4 - Game fails to load?

Post by JezA »

Hi,

I have recently downloaded Oolite v1.82 (for mac). On running the game for the first time, all works as expected. However, on exiting the game and trying to run it again, the loading screen appears but nothing further happens..

I have to delete the entire game directory, the Preferences plist, Cache and Log files, restart my mac book, unzip the game directory again and then the game will restart.

Has anyone experienced this problem, and does anyone have any thoughts as to why this might be happening?.

The Oolite Latest log file contains the following :

Opening log for Oolite version 1.82 (x86-64) under Mac OS X Version 10.10.4 (Build 14E46) at 2015-07-22 05:40:49 +0000.
Machine type: MacBookPro11,3, 16384 MiB memory, 4 (8 logical) x x86 (Haswell) @ 2300 MHz.
Build options: OpenAL, new planets.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

15:40:49.798 [dataCache.notFound]: No data cache found, starting from scratch.
15:40:50.529 [system]: -[SUHost sharedFrameworksPath]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x6000000013f0

The System log files contains:

Jul 22 16:27:16 {computername}.local Oolite[1337]: -[SUHost sharedFrameworksPath]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x608000001740
Jul 22 16:27:16 {computername} com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.Oolite.1337): Failed to bootstrap path: path = /Users/{username}/Downloads/Oolite 1.82/Oolite.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Sparkle, error = 20: Not a directory
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Oolite v1.82, OSX Yosemite 10.10.4 - Game fails to load?

Post by another_commander »

I think this is an already known problem, reported with version 1.80 and registered as issue #128 on github. The description is very similar but the versions of both the game and OSX involved are different in the two reports. In any case, I believe they are closely related so I updated the issue with the additional information you have provided.

I am afraid that actual investigation of the report may have to wait for response from one of our Mac maintainers, of whom none seems to be active at the moment.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Assuming I really don't want to roll back the OS, what's the last version of Oolite for Mac that's still working properly?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Theoretically, it is 1.82. Just because there are two similar reports of a problem does not necessarily mean that the game does not run properly on every single Mac. We need to find what is the common denominator in these reports and see if there is a way to resolve it for those with the problem. Unfortunately, this might be quite tricky when the current team works on non-Mac machines, but implying this is a generic Mac problem is a long shot, unless proven otherwise.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

another_commander wrote:
Theoretically, it is 1.82. Just because there are two similar reports of a problem does not necessarily mean that the game does not run properly on every single Mac. We need to find what is the common denominator in these reports and see if there is a way to resolve it for those with the problem. Unfortunately, this might be quite tricky when the current team works on non-Mac machines, but implying this is a generic Mac problem is a long shot, unless proven otherwise.
Unfortunately I wouldn't be asking if I wasn't having the same problem - same OS etc.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

ffutures wrote:
Unfortunately I wouldn't be asking if I wasn't having the same problem - same OS etc.
Fair enough. In this case I don't think there is an answer to the question at this moment. It would help tremendously though if you could test it out using the archived builds at https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... aring#list and seeing if any of them actually works on 10.10.4. Also, can you please provide the version of Sparkle in use?

Unfortunately we need to collect as much information as possible and hope that something obvious comes up. It is nearly impossible to troubleshoot without being able to access a Mac, but the more information we can gather the better the chance.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Just tried re-installing 1.80, that's not working either (but was the last time I used it, a week or two before 1.82 came out)

Where do I find the Sparkle version?
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

The game is working on my mac, I can relaunch it without problems, so not a generic problem with 10.10.4

Code: Select all

Opening log for Oolite version 1.82 (x86-64) under Mac OS X Version 10.10.4 (Build 14E46) at 2015-07-24 15:06:39 +0000.
Machine type: MacBookAir6,2, 8192 MiB memory, 2 (4 logical) x x86 (Haswell) @ 1300 MHz.
Build options: OpenAL, new planets.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

17:06:39.894 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.0 ("2.1 INTEL-10.6.31"). Vendor: "Intel Inc.". Renderer: "Intel HD Graphics 5000 OpenGL Engine".
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

What I'm not finding is any logs at all - where should they be on the Mac version?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

From the [wiki]Oolite FAQ[/wiki]:
Restart Oolite, and select “Show Previous Log” from the “Oolite” menu in the menu bar. Alternatively, in the Finder, select “Go to Folder…” from the Go menu, and enter “~/Library/Logs/Oolite/”, and find Latest.log.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK - nothing about Sparkle in the log at all.

I just managed to reload a saved game from 1.80 without crashing, so it may be that the saved game I previously tried was corrupt in some way. So what I'll do next is install 1.82, save a Jameson, and see how that goes. Must say it's going to be a bit annoying if I can't reload old saved games.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK, so now 1.82 is working with the game I saved from 1.80, but not older saved games, they crash it or fail to load.

I finally found the sparkle version in the OSX crash report - looks to be Sparkle (1.5 Beta 6 - 313)

The message I just got from one that failed to load is:

Failed to restore saved game
Could not set up player ship

Which seems odd because it's a boa cruiser. Does this mean it doesn't have some of the OXPs or something?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

1.82 should be able to load any previous version's saves - could you put one that fails to load up somewhere for a look?

(It's possible your previous save was using an addition shipset's Boa II, which you don't currently have installed, but other than that I can't think of an obvious reason for that error)
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Well, this is weird - I just tried it again to make sure I'd send the right one and the one that crashed loaded. Then I tried it again and it crashed. The weird part is it's just a new Jameson at Lave.

So I tried re-opening the game I saved with 1.80 that was previously fine, and that one crashed too. So my feeling here is that there's some instability associated with loading which may not be connected with the actual contents of the file.

I just restarted the mac and so far they're either loading or failing to load with the

Failed to restore saved game
Could not set up player ship

So I've saved that one to my dropbox as

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/472 ... olite-save

Hope that helps.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

ffutures wrote:
So my feeling here is that there's some instability associated with loading which may not be connected with the actual contents of the file.
Yes, seems that way. The file loads absolutely fine here.

Can you post the full Latest.log from just after it's failed to load, please?