Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

What would a 'real' spaceship actually look like?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Re: What would a 'real' spaceship actually look like?

Post by Ranthe »

Smivs wrote:
Cody could be on to something, you know.
All the plant and yards on 'our' side of the Moon, and aim the asteroids at the other side - they would even be conveniently broken up, and nobody would notice all the extra craters :wink:
I'm sure that's what they said about using the Moon as a nuclear waste dump in Space: 1999... :mrgreen:
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

More discussion on the general topic of colonize space and the Moon in particular: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9933839
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

its been 45 years since we first landed on the moon. It doesnt look like we will be there again any time soon.

as for the asteroid belt ,well it is mostly empty space. the belt is not at all like it is depicted in SciFi movies/books/TV.
but there is some interesting stuff out there. Assuming we can get out there,I dont think waiting till it gets to earth is a good idea. mining should start as it is on its way.
start boring a hole into the rock. seal it up with an airlock. start to mine. treat it like a fly in/fly out job with replacement miners and food,water ,air etc shipped in and miners and ore sent back. by the time the asteroid gets here it can be hollowed out and most of the mass removed making it easier to manouver into orbit.

this is assuming we have the technology to get to the asteroid belt in under 10 years travel time.

some interesting facts of the belt

http://space-facts.com/asteroid-belt/

looks like the entire belt added together is less mass then the moon!
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

spud42 wrote:
...start boring a hole into the rock. seal it up with an airlock. start to mine. treat it like a fly in/fly out job with replacement miners and food,water ,air etc shipped in and miners and ore sent back.
Hey, you've just invented the Rock hermit! :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

spud42 wrote:
as for the asteroid belt ,well it is mostly empty space. the belt is not at all like it is depicted in SciFi movies/books/TV.
Yep, most of the mass of the belt is in the three spheroids, Ceres, Pallas & Vesta. The rest are just mountain sized chunks of rock floating around millions of miles away. We have thousands of mountain-sized chunks of rock here on Earth, and they've been mined for thousands of years. Asteroid mining is a furphy. It'll only ever happen in video games.

The real prize in the inner solar system - and this should be the explicit long-term goal of the space program - is moving the three spheroid asteroids into Earth orbit, so Earth would have four moons. Why should humanity undertake such an ambitious and seemingly pointless endeavour? To demonstrate that we can. That should be reason enough. We're human beings, not bacteria. As Kennedy said of the Apollo programme, "We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." The operative verb being choose; waiting for necessity to give birth to invention is a strategy for deadbeats & plantae, not for men.

Terraforming Mars should have begun decades ago and ought to be well underway by now. There is no technical impediment, just a lack of will. That's what you get for dumping flouride into your water supply, two generations of people growing up lobotomised from birth, completely lacking any ambition. Phooey!

(This chick on #QandA is irking me: talking really fast to try to disguise the fact she isn't saying anything. WTH is an "innovation strategist" anyway?)
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wildeblood wrote:
This chick on #QandA is irking me
Serves you right for watching TV.. a bad habit I gave up years ago..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
This chick on #QandA is irking me
Serves you right for watching TV.. a bad habit I gave up years ago..
It's not "TV", comrade, it's "the national broadcaster". :mrgreen: It's paid for by your taxes that used to go into useless things like the CSIRO, so it's your patriotic duty to support it.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wildeblood wrote:
It's paid for by your taxes that used to go into useless things like the CSIRO, so it's your patriotic duty to support it.
It's my patriotic duty to support something funded with money extorted from me by means of a legalised protection racket? I must have missed something, somewhere...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Wildeblood wrote:
Terraforming Mars should have begun decades ago and ought to be well underway by now. There is no technical impediment, just a lack of will.
Well, it might be best to wait until we are sure there is no life there. We wouldn't want to 'terraform' our nearest neighbours out of existence even if they are only bacteria or whatever.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

Terraforming Mars should have begun decades ago and ought to be well underway by now
Much tho' I'd love to see that happen the 'Red sand huggers' would stop any attempts long before it left Earth.
Well, it might be best to wait until we are sure there is no life there.
Oh no it's already started.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Learning to live within our own means on our own planet as a technological civilisation should have begun decades ago and ought to have been figured out by now. There is no technical impediment, just a lack of will.

Probably best we get our own house in order first, before we go thinking of spraying our biome all over the place. If we can't manage to operate a self-contained ecology the size of Earth, for which we are ideally suited, then our chances of making it as a spacefaring species are, let's face it, nil.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Disembodied wrote:
There is no technical impediment, just a lack of will.
More to the point, there's no profit in doing so.

Heck, one Corporate CEO (I forget who) is even on record as stating that "Slowing the collapse [of Western civilisation] may not be profitable."
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Heck, one Corporate CEO (I forget who) is even on record as stating that "Slowing the collapse [of Western civilisation] may not be profitable."
And I think that may be about as scary as it gets.
SteveKing
(not quite the author)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

SteveKing wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
And I think that may be about as scary as it gets.
I can vaguely recall seeing an economist saying that when asked about (ir)responsible "corporate citizenship", but not an actual CEO. In any case, it should go without saying, it's so obvious.

In a world with consumerism as its economic model and -ism-sensitivity guiding public policy, we're doomed. That's why I am so hostile to representative democracy, and no longer afraid to say to so. The current economic and political models are luxuries we just can't afford any longer.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wildeblood wrote:
I can vaguely recall seeing an economist saying that when asked about (ir)responsible "corporate citizenship", but not an actual CEO.
That may be one of the details I mis-remembered.. in which case, it was a prominent, well-regarded economist, at least..