Xenon HUD

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Xenon HUD

Post by gsagostinho »

@phkb I noticed that sometimes you use p = null; in the end of a function, but other times not (same of other variables such as ps, h, w, etc.). Is there a reason why a variable should (or not) be set to null at the end of a function, e.g. does it help with performance or something? I don't seem to see any difference between using it or not using at all.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

This came about because I thought explicitly de-referencing objects may have a bearing on memory usage. In hindsight I don't think it makes any difference at all, so it is largely redundant. I think you can safely ignore them.
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I am considering removing all x = null; lines from my code then, for the sake of consistency.
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

Found two minor issues:

- Crosshairs are not displayed after the first launch in the game (this was present in the previous version)

- Exception in the logs:
14:58:57.496 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (XenonHUD 1.5.7): TypeError: worldScripts.ShipConfiguration_Core is undefined
phkb

Post by phkb »

Thanks Astrobe. I have a new version in the works so I'll add these fixes in as well.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Version 1.5.8 is now available via the download manager. Apart from the bug fixes for the issues noted by Astrobe, I've also added a "Fuel Leak" warning indicator to the display.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Version 1.5.9 has just been released. In this version:
  • Fixed issue where scanner zoom setting was not being restored from a save game immediately after the game is launched. Note: the fix involves updating the default HUD to use the non-linear scanner with ultra zoom.
  • Performance tweaks.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Version 1.5.10 has been released. In this version:
- Better handling of situation when buying a new ship replaces the player's ship script object.
- Small tweaks for performance.
- Better handling of player ship destruction.
- Bug fixes.
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

I have been experiencing a few problems of late with the Xenon HUD.

Both issues are intermittent.
The 1st issue I was aware of is that my forward view was being "quartered" (a long vertical line running through the view being intersected at the centre by a horizontal line).
The second issue is that my HUDS will not display on the forward view, but for some bizarre reason are viewable in the aft,port or starboard.
Please see pics below:

https://postimg.org/image/uqpsduqad/

https://postimg.org/image/6o8yiz9n9/

https://postimg.org/image/3vfqyy9at/
Last edited by Damocles Edge on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
O.C.T.D (Oolite Crash Test Dummy) Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm......
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Damocles Edge wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:36 pm
... but cannot see an option to upload and add them to my post
You'll need to host them somewhere (PostImage is one such), then link to them.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb

Post by phkb »

Damocles Edge wrote:
The 1st issue I was aware of is that my forward view was being "quartered" (a long vertical line running through the view being intersected at the centre by a horizontal line).
This is a feature - when you have requested docking clearance from a station, the HUD changes to this to help with lining up. You can turn off this HUD option via Library Config.
Damocles Edge wrote:
The second issue is that my HUDS will not display on the forward view, but for some bizarre reason are viewable in the aft,port or starboard.
That's very strange. I'll need to see those snapshots to get a better understanding of what's happening.
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

phkb wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:52 pm
Damocles Edge wrote:
This is a feature - when you have requested docking clearance from a station, the HUD changes to this to help with lining up. You can turn off this HUD option via Library Config.
I know what you're referring to phkb but it is not that - it's different. It is a finer line than the docking view. You can also switch to a non-view screen F5 and above and switch back to forward view and it will sometimes disappear for a while only to return in a short while.
It's difficult to discern much from the snapshots, although you can hardly see the lines on the snapshot it is very noticeable in play.
On another note I must learn how to post images properly on this forum (the website refused to accept the links generated by postimg.org so I just left url links - hope this can at least be of some help.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Damocles Edge wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:11 pm
On another note I must learn how to post images properly on this forum (the website refused to accept the links generated by postimg.org so I just left url links - hope this can at least be of some help.
For OXP report purposes (rather than screenshots), the thumbnail link is best - that'll allow a click through to the fullsize image.
The forum has image size limits: currently the max width is 1000. As it stands though, the above links are fine.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb

Post by phkb »

Damocles Edge wrote:
I know what you're referring to phkb but it is not that - it's different. It is a finer line than the docking view.
Re Image 003: Well, it appears we're both right. It is the docking view, but for some reason it's been applied over the top of a standard view. Very weird.

As for your controls disappearing (image 001), it appears the HUD has been switched to Hi-Contrast mode. When looking at a regular space (ie black) backdrop, as seen in image 001, all the MFD's will seem to disappear, but in the rear view (image 002) which is pointing at the sun and therefore has some glare, the MFD's appear again. This is by design. It would be nice to one day work out the amount of glare and change the mode automatically, but I can't do that yet.

To turn the Hi-Contrast mode off, cycle your primable equipment until you see the "Xenon HUD Mode Selector" equipment item, then press "n".

I'd be interested to know more about image 003 -- you seem to have just been involved in some sort of fight (shields are low) -- like were you in range of any station at the time of the fight, had you requested docking clearance from the station and then been engaged in a battle, that sort of thing.
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

phkb wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:52 am

I'd be interested to know more about image 003 -- you seem to have just been involved in some sort of fight (shields are low) -- like were you in range of any station at the time of the fight, had you requested docking clearance from the station and then been engaged in a battle, that sort of thing.
You are correct in your assessment - I had been caught out by running smugglers oxp and hadn't noticed after a long mining stint that gold and platinum were not legal in this system, I tried and failed to bribe an official and so left the system to enable me to return and pay the fine. The crazy thing is that they don't seem to want me to dock and pay my fines and instead open fire.
At the time the snap shot was taken I was well away from the station limits.
I ended up using my escape pod to enable paying off my fines. Can anyone tell me for future reference if there is a protocol to follow for docking and paying fines?
I have now removed smugglers as it makes life tricky for a miner (if you cannot dock elsewhere and move cargo to smuggling stash).
Thanks for the insight concerning Hi-contrast - it makes sense.