Cloaking Device

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Cloaking Device

Post by another_commander »

Looks like a Notepad edit attempt. In any case, I have uploaded a version of the script for you here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwG6R5 ... sp=sharing
Just drop this file in Resources/Scripts replacing the problematic one you have and it should work. Remember to shift-restart.
Princess_Zenda
Average
Average

Post by Princess_Zenda »

Thanks for your help a_c.

I take it editing with notepad is a problem? I used wordpad this time. The device is activating now, however it still seems to be deactivating when I fire? Was the edit supposed to stop this?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Princess_Zenda wrote:
Thanks for your help a_c.

I take it editing with notepad is a problem? I used wordpad this time. The device is activating now, however it still seems to be deactivating when I fire? Was the edit supposed to stop this?
Yes, Notepad is known to cause problems with text files for Oolite, similar to what you experienced. As for deactivating when firing, this is because cloak is now passive by default. If you want to disable this, edit your player ship's entry in shipdata.plist and add the line

Code: Select all

"cloak_passive" = NO;
and shift-restart.
Princess_Zenda
Average
Average

Post by Princess_Zenda »

Many thanks again!

I think I'll give it a go as it is...never quite felt right being able to fire when cloaked anyhow.

My Ooniverse is no longer in flux.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Princess_Zenda wrote:
... never quite felt right being able to fire when cloaked anyhow.
<nods>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

There was a thread about this some time back. You automatically uncloak when you fire. :(

This is by design,the Gods have spoken. :D

Mind you, the energy drain when cloaked has become so great that it's probably better this way. You need to rethink your strategies.
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

thank you all so so sooo much for this thread!!
threepe
Competent
Competent

Post by threepe »

I've been reading this thread with interest. I initially found it when I was researching why my cloak would not work properly, now I know!

I'm currently struggling to make good use of the cloak for several reasons
  • - if I activate it and people are shooting at me they are just as likely to hit me as if I was flying my own defensive pattern. (Barrel rolls) I can fly without a cloak and basically not be hit at all. I was hoping that using a cloak would not just sap energy, but may allow me to run from a fight to regroup (assuming you realise soon enough so that you still have the energy to engage it)
  • The new cloak as it stands does not allow me to successfully disengage from a fight - I just cannot seem to put distance between them and me even in a corkscrew witchfuelled run for my life style escape strategy.
  • I do accept that old cloak was too powerful
  • I don't know if this makes a difference, but I play with a keyboard and am therefore limited in input precision.
Some possible suggestions:
  • the cloak works as a passive cloak that fully works when not on injectors. The enemy are left shooting at where you once were, but cannot see where you have gone at all after a course change. You can proceed at max speed, without injectors, till your cloak wears off
  • using injectors it retains the same behaviour of a partial cloak that others seem to really like
  • now that you don't move as quickly, you will need all of the energy you can spare to keep your cloak up. This may impact fitting decisions. For example, the popular shield capactirors may have to be dropped. If your shields suddenly hit maximum and then the energy transfer to your capacitors starts while you are trying to stay cloaked you are not going to be very successful. You end up decloaking at just the wrong point!
  • Potential for new equipment to help keep you cloaked - Cloaking coolant aid. Instead of having to consume huge amounts of energy to keep your cloak running, you can transfer the heat from your cloak into your lasers. Therefore, running the cloak heats UP your lasers leaving you with less ability to attack, but with more chance to run. I'd forsee this as an automatic module that kicks in just before you decloak due to lack of energy that helps buy you more time
This may add some extra tension and some sneaky tactics where you can skulk around a little, but only at a low speed for a limited period of time before you have to reveal yourself