Second Empire - a HUGE Dalek web comic

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Second Empire - a HUGE Dalek web comic

Post by ffutures »

I don't think I've recced this here before, which is a shame because it's just awesome - a lovely CGI-illustrated web comic running to 700+ instalments but now complete, the history of the first Dalek civil war - with lots of wonderful weapons, weird technology, and more than a few references to Star Wars and other fun stuff. Keep your eyes open for things going on in the background. What it doesn't contain is The Doctor, although there are hints that he might have once existed, or has erased knowledge of himself from their records - but the Daleks consider them to be the equivalent of silly season stories! It's an amazing story and I thoroughly recommend it.

http://www.mechmaster.co.uk/cg-lair/dal ... -index.htm

later - forgot to say that if you go down the page you can see many of the episodes as animated films on youtube.
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Second Empire - a HUGE Dalek web comic

Post by JD »

I think that's brilliant. It looks like a colossal amount of work has gone into it. And it's very witty too - there's even at least one Elite/Oolite reference in there.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

JD wrote:
I think that's brilliant. It looks like a colossal amount of work has gone into it. And it's very witty too - there's even at least one Elite/Oolite reference in there.
I must have missed that - can you remember whereabouts it is in the story?
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

Slide 35 - the name of the ship. (Unless of course that name has some independent derivation.)
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Oh good grief, how did I miss that?
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

There is also a couple of shots where the space stations look fairly platonic.

I'm not sure how I felt about this. I like subtlety in my homages. At times this was about as subtle as being smacked in the head with a brick with the words "DO YOU GET IT!!!?" written on it in permanent marker.

Which is fine, if that's all you do. But this dude had some really poignant dialogue and strong original dramatic moments. For my money in trying to be everything it was neither drama or comedy. It is very clever, I'll give it that and a project that must have taken a lot of time and caused the author a fair amount of pain to complete. The effort involved screams at you from every panel. For that alone (an artistic body of work) it deserves a round of applause.