[WIP] New Deal Economies (for Oolite 1.81)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: New Deal Economies

Post by Layne »

Vincentz wrote:
Yup. I added my own font to it https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17322.
I looked at config/oolite-font.plist but I'm not sure its modable. If it is, then I will do that instead ofcourse, otherwise I can make an addon to the addon with the font (can't be that many fonts for oolite?) ;)
No more than a couple of fonts added by OXP, that I've found. The one I use is Standalone, available here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Comman ... alone_Font

I greatly prefer it to the vanilla font for the game. How /do/ you edit a font? Since my last post above I've realized that simply cutting and pasting from one .png file to another doesn't seem to work and the resulting font winds up horribly mangled as if the victim of a thresher accident.
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

I think its enough to just copy oolite-font.plist from your font to the config folder of New Deal (along with your edited PNG of course).
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." - Isaac Asimov
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

Vincentz wrote:
I think its enough to just copy oolite-font.plist from your font to the config folder of New Deal.
I don't think that will help-- the edited font is not reading properly, and without it I've got two fonts that don't match up-- one has just your new icons on it, and the other has... everything else, all the other text. Without editing it, I either get your OXP as text-only changes (the new system economies show up on the detailed view for a scanned system on the starmap) but the icons aren't visible. Alternately, I can have the new icons but the plain old font.
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

Layne wrote:
Vincentz wrote:
I think its enough to just copy oolite-font.plist from your font to the config folder of New Deal.
I don't think that will help-- the edited font is not reading properly, and without it I've got two fonts that don't match up-- one has just your new icons on it, and the other has... everything else, all the other text. Without editing it, I either get your OXP as text-only changes (the new system economies show up on the detailed view for a scanned system on the starmap) but the icons aren't visible. Alternately, I can have the new icons but the plain old font.
Put this one into the standalone font's texture folder (though make backup of original).
http://www.mediafire.com/download/r1ajm ... e-font.zip
Its a temporary solution, just adding my icons to the standalone font, as I might (most likely will) change/adjust my icons later on.
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." - Isaac Asimov
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

Temporary or not, that works a treat for me.

What software are you using to edit/save the font files? I've tried three different programs and none of them seem to be able to edit and save the png in a format that doesn't garble the text, even though I'm not making any changes to the spacing or file size. Even just loading the file into the program and saving /without/ changing anything garbles it, as if it's changing the format somehow. I've tried saving in 8- 24- and 32-bit depth, but nothing seems acceptable to Oolite. Is it because it's being saved by Windows and not Mac?

Anyhow, thanks for that, I can use the oxp and not give up my lovely futuristic text.
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

Layne wrote:
Temporary or not, that works a treat for me.

What software are you using to edit/save the font files? I've tried three different programs and none of them seem to be able to edit and save the png in a format that doesn't garble the text, even though I'm not making any changes to the spacing or file size. Even just loading the file into the program and saving /without/ changing anything garbles it, as if it's changing the format somehow. I've tried saving in 8- 24- and 32-bit depth, but nothing seems acceptable to Oolite. Is it because it's being saved by Windows and not Mac?

Anyhow, thanks for that, I can use the oxp and not give up my lovely futuristic text.
I use an old version of Photoshop for windows.
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

This may also be a good idea:

http://imgur.com/61ilB69

It's a rough for a replacement to the BGS short-range chart overlay. The two files for bgs-i_shortrangechart.png and bgs-i_shortrangechart_mission.png will need to be replaced to reflect the new icons.
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

Thanks. Good idea, though it reminded me of something :
New Deal is for 1.81 (where iirc shortrange chart isn't used.)
I'm also not completely settled with my icons yet, but its a great idea.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Topic moved at Vincentz's request.
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

another_commander wrote:
Topic moved at Vincentz's request.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] New Deal Economies (for Oolite 1.81)

Post by Zireael »

Loving this idea, will probably grab it as soon as I've finished updating Oolite itself and OXZs...
private_lock
Average
Average

Post by private_lock »

I hope, the kids have grown up a little by now ... how about making an oxz for 1.88?

Keep up the good work
private_lock
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Or even 1.89?

Superb idea!

Cholmondeley
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Wouldn't different planets in a solar system have different economies?

Say, for example, that the primary planet in the solar system was financial. It seems highly improbable that the others would be too: the other planets in the system might well be extractive, agricultural or even commercial (if settled).

Similar issues would presumably arise with the planetary siblings of a commercial or a high-tech planet.

Alas, I assume that this sort of complexity would transcend the possibilities within Oolite as it currently stands.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

I realize I'm bumping an older thread here, but Cholmondely, your assumption is incorrect. See for example, this script reference which shows one of the ways in which secondary markets can be modified by OXPs independently from the main planet of the system.

Also, it may be of interest in the context of this discussion to review the SW_Economy OXP. It is another recent take on economic tweaking. I stumbled across it while hunting for the above script reference link, having not seen it before.