Please Tell Me This Can Work! :(

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Huntress
Dangerous
Dangerous
Location: Carman, MB, Canada (can't believe I spelt my town's name wrong...oops!)

Please Tell Me This Can Work! :(

Post by Huntress »

I need to ask you guys a serious question.... <sobs> .... if your computer crashes... <more sobbing> .... if you put the saved files and add-ons and everything else onto a USB... <crying> .... when you reload Oolite onto it again, will you be able to continue your saved game.... <cries, looks up hopefully>... since you loaded it onto a USB? <pleading> :cry:
"My goal this weekend is to move... just enough so that people don't think I'm dead." -Anonymous
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Please Tell Me This Can Work! :(

Post by Cody »

<chortles> Yes, that should be no problem!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Huntress
Dangerous
Dangerous
Location: Carman, MB, Canada (can't believe I spelt my town's name wrong...oops!)

Post by Huntress »

<screaming for joy> Yeeeeeeeesssssss!!!!! Yeeeeeeeessssss!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!! Thank you!!!! Thank you!!!! Thank you!!!! Thank you!!!! Thank you!!!! You just saved my life!!!! <bear hugs Cody>

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"My goal this weekend is to move... just enough so that people don't think I'm dead." -Anonymous
Cody

Post by Cody »

<grins> It's wise to make a regular back-up of your savefile anyway - and a USB stick is fine for that.
Huntress
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Huntress »

Thank goodness for backups... <holds up USB> <cackles> Today, my laptop! Tomorrow, the world! <evil laughter>
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

If you so desire, you can put your whole Oolite installation onto the USB stick and just run it from there...
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Famous last words:

"I'll do that backup tomorrow."
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Thargoid wrote:
If you so desire, you can put your whole Oolite installation onto the USB stick and just run it from there...
I've got an ooniverse in my pocket.....
Sleeper Service
Poor
Poor

Post by Sleeper Service »

Cody wrote:
<grins> It's wise to make a regular back-up of your savefile anyway - and a USB stick is fine for that.
Yes, but kindly refrain from using a USB stick as a primary or only way of trying to save your data, since it is a mere probabilistic way of saving your files. Spinning rust (also known as a hard disc) or an SSD would be an order of magnitude more reliable. (Exact figures escape me for now and "YMMV".)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Sleeper Service wrote:
Yes, but kindly refrain from using a USB stick as a primary or only way of trying to save your data...
Aye, good advice. I have saves dotted around my HDD, saves on my NAS, saves in my Box, saves on a USB stick - and welcome aboard.
Sleeper Service
Poor
Poor

Post by Sleeper Service »

Thanks!

I hope the OP gets her game up and running again though.

(Will post later about audio mixer questions elsewhere. See if I can get a procedural music thing going within now and ten years. Since oolite is in C it probably contains a fault ridden implementation of most of common lisp already*, so I'll feel right at home... It might be 10 years though...)

Off to ZZZzzz-space though. Cheers, SS.

*ECMA-script, anyone?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day, Sleeper Service, and welcome aboard! 8)

Always nice to meet another Iain Banks fan. :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Huntress
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Huntress »

So, while I'm busy reloading all my files could you possibly answer a question for me? <puppy-dog eyes> Is it possible for me to take on multiple parcel delivery contracts? I realize it may be difficult to do, but I should be able to pull it off, should I not?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Huntress wrote:
Is it possible for me to take on multiple parcel delivery contracts? I realize it may be difficult to do, but I should be able to pull it off, should I not?
Absolutely possible - as many as you can manage, according to their delivery times. Use the quickest routes - as many short jumps as possible!
Last edited by Cody on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

Huntress wrote:
So, while I'm busy reloading all my files could you possibly answer a question for me? <puppy-dog eyes> Is it possible for me to take on multiple parcel delivery contracts? I realize it may be difficult to do, but I should be able to pull it off, should I not?
You can take on as many delivery contracts as you like at once. Cargo, if you have enough room for multiple, or passengers, if you've got more than one cabin. If they're all along the same route you're already going or only slight detours, there's no reason you can't pick up two or three parcel deliveries at the same time. Of course, how many you're offered will depend on your reputation, and what the station has...
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.