Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Hunter Scanner

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Frantic
Competent
Competent

Hunter Scanner

Post by Frantic »

I'm probably going to be lynched for suggesting this, although I also have a sentimental attachment to the classic scanner, but since we have high resolutions shouldn't we be contemplating sticks that have a more sharp base to them?

Currently we have something along the lines of:

MMMM
MM
MM
MM
MM
MM

Which at max scanner range view is quiote hard to centre to your nose. However, if we had a shape like a needle curving up to a T shape, so the stick was in the middle of the marker:

____
---
||
|
|

We could easily centre the thing horizontally. As for vertically, I guess it doesn't need to shrink too extremely, but a least enough so the stick doesn't get hidden under the marker within a large vertical sway.

____
|

Precision Scanner equipment?

Also, would be nice to have some form of limited (not omni-directional) long range scanning device that uses masses of energy (and maybe fuel to further restrict, but would help you clean up stragglers in a system, and track down adrift salvage. Only made available after some police mission to track down a pirate base or some such.

Usage would be you press a key while swinging your nose to provide a sweeping motion ahead. Any detected objects, place a marker on the very rim of scanner range to mark last known position for the object (dull grey colour), and have that marker vanish when you enter range of the position.

Alternately, the device could work by scanning a segment of the system, these divided into quarters or more. Also give it a minimum charge time.

Using the device would also strip your shields, and place you on every ship in the system's scanner as you light up like a beacon :-) Obviously this would require a lot of work. How often do buried suggestions get reviewed? Or do people take notes? Or is this crap :-)
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Personally I find it easy to line up the clubs on the scanner. The line is the central point, generally.

Tapering the stick might make it harder to read since there would be anti-aliasing and an even thinner base.

I think the scanner icons are clear enough as they are...

I like the precision scanner idea though... maybe not use up fuel, but perhaps a slight drain on energy when in use, like the ECM?