Laser Mount Switching System (LMSS)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Laser Mount Switching System (LMSS)

Post by phkb »

I haven't heard back from Redspear yet, so in his absence here's a patched version of the New Lasers OXP for anyone encountering issues with LMSS. I'll remove it once he returns. This version is compatible with the latest version of LMSS.

Link: https://app.box.com/s/g2jq2o8bk9n7f1stixwjem3al3ma6d79
javirodriguez
Competent
Competent

Post by javirodriguez »

Hi!
I think that "LMSS Actuator Upgrade" is not working, it does not speed up the switching process.
It takes about 10 sg to do it. Laser mount switching system ( without actuator upgrade) takes 10 sg to do it.
There is not difference between them.
Thanks!!!!
phkb

Post by phkb »

Thanks for the report! I'll check it out and report back.

[Edit] Yes, it's a confirmed bug sighting. If you purchase the actuator upgrade, you won't get the performance increase until after you save/reload. In any event, version 2.0.7 is not now available which fixes the bug. Thanks again for the report.
Last edited by phkb on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

phkb wrote:
In any event, version 2.0.7 is not available which fixes the bug.
<grins> Gotta love a good typo!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb

Post by phkb »

Ha!

Yeah, spelling. It's so fickle.

But for the sake of future generations, I've fixed it.
oreganor
Poor
Poor

Post by oreganor »

Just want to mention that on oolite 1.84 there is an "interaction" between LMSS 2.0.7 & New Lasers 0.7 (I also have installed "multiple lasers" & "separate lasers", just in case they are related). It's a bit tricky so I will explain in detail:

- WITHOUT ANY LMSS actuator installed in the ship I see the full array of new lasers on a given station (The 2 examples I'm more interested in are the E28 military laser and the Volt Variscan Laser). I can buy/sell ALL of them normally.

- If I buy one LMSS actuator for any facing AND WITHOUT exiting the equipment screen I can buy the extra lasers without problems.

- From the moment I abandon the equipment screen (For example to use F4 menu to move the actual laser to secondary to buy another one for the LMSS mount) the only lasers I see are the renamed vanilla ones. This situation is persistent across savegame loading and on any other station.

- If I remove ALL LMSS actuators I see the extra lasers again on the equipment screens.

If I understand well, there was a "patched" 0.6 version of redlasers that fixed this... But so far nothing for the latest 0.7 version. Any detail I'm missing? Or is it intended?

Thanks in advance for any help regarding this. I already posted this on "New Lasers" thread because I'm not sure which OXP is easier to adapt for compatibility, in the case that's intended for both to cohexist in the same ship.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Thanks for the report, oregano. I should have some time later today to investigate this. I'll keep you posted.
phkb

Post by phkb »

OK, I've found the bug in LMSS. Version 2.0.8 now available.

Fair warning, though. You will probably see a lot fewer lasers from the New Lasers pack when this update is applied. The bug was essentially allowing purchase of lasers when they shouldn't have been available. In version 2.0.7, if you did a laser switch, you essentially got LMSS into its correct state, and what you then saw on the F3 was the true state of the availability of any of the New Lasers. For example, the Ergon A28 Military laser should only be offered for sale at only one system in Galaxy 1, and none at all in Galaxy 2. It's extremely rare.

Anyway, thanks for the detailed analysis of the issue. It really helped in tracking the issue down.
oreganor
Poor
Poor

Post by oreganor »

The least I could do to help... Modders is what set Oolite apart from other "Elite based" games. And thanks for the ultrafast fix...

...I will sell all lasers and search for them again if they were meant to be rare, because I wasn't aware that the bug was their high abundance.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Version 2.0.11 has been released. This fixed an issue where the LMSS Activator was not being removed in all situations when the last LMSS Assembly is removed (eg when stored via Ship Config).
phkb

Post by phkb »

Version 2.0.12 has been released, which fixes some compatibility issues with recent releases of Xenon HUD.
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

Greetings!

I've got repair bots and LMSS forward.

In a fight my primary forward laser (Military) was damaged, I switched to the secondary (PewPew). Sometime latter during the fight the primary forward laser turned to Military, and the secondary forward position had no laser.
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

Now I keep a Military Laser as primary (for snipping) and a Ergon A28 as secondary (didn't like the PewPew rate of fire)... yesterday, as I switched from the ML to the Ergon I got a Laser Cooler into the primary position...
phkb

Post by phkb »

dybal wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:28 pm
In a fight my primary forward laser (Military) was damaged, I switched to the secondary (PewPew). Sometime latter during the fight the primary forward laser turned to Military, and the secondary forward position had no laser.
As lasers aren't normally damagable in the core game, I'm thinking this must be an unintended consequence of RepairBots and whatever the OXP is that's allowing for damage on lasers.

I haven't tested this, but I suspect RepairBots is starting to work on the damaged lasers, and then when the item is switched with the secondary laser, the damaged status is not being retained, and RepairBots is then getting confused as to where the laser has gone (as it isn't aware of LMSS). So, I think, at a minimum, I need to include the equipment status of all secondary lasers, on the off chance they're damaged, and then investigate how I can get RepairBots to not flip their lids when lasers are switched.
dybal wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:27 pm
yesterday, as I switched from the ML to the Ergon I got a Laser Cooler into the primary position...
That's a new one. I'll have to run some checks against that combo. It could be that the Ergon A28 has restrictions on where it can be installed, and LMSS is not successfully overriding those restrictions.

Update to follow.
phkb

Post by phkb »

dybal wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:27 pm
yesterday, as I switched from the ML to the Ergon I got a Laser Cooler into the primary position...
After some checking, it looks like Laser Cooler is the culprit in this case. It's switching in the "Laser Cooler" equipment item when you disable weapons. I think LMSS might be triggering this in some way when lasers are switched. I'll have to investigate some more.