Bling

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Bling

Post by ffutures »

In an earlier thread I mentioned that the game needs some bling - otherwise useless items that soak up money in purchase and by getting damaged etc. We already have a few examples, such as the Ship's Cat add-on and the tea maker, this thread is for suggesting more. So without further ado here are a few examples:

Luxury cabin - exactly like the normal cabin except it's called luxury, costs twice as much, and weighs an extra ton. Maybe it's fur-lined or something. No discernable game effect otherwise.

Stripper pole (yes, I like Iron Man as a source for these ideas) - add-on for luxury cabin, costs a couple of thousand credits, if the stripper pole is damaged the cabin cannot be used until it's repaired. Pre-requisite, at least one luxury cabin fitted for each stripper pole fitted.

Gem-studded hull. Costs 1000 credits per ton cargo capacity, makes the ship look slightly sparkly (not sure how you'd make this work in game), likely to take damage in firefights, during fuel scooping runs, and planetary landings.

Custom laser noise - sound module that makes an awesome "pew-pew-pew" noise as the lasers are fired. But it's just a sound chip in the weapons control console, not anything the lasers are actually doing. 1000 credits.

Pet rock. A large boulder carried as the ship's pet. Does nothing, takes 1-5 tons of cargo space.

anyone got any other ideas?
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Bling

Post by ClymAngus »

Hmmm bling is all well and good but I'd like to see some more ablative consumables.

Things that cost a lot but negate a big problem for a short while. Then burn out, burn up, need replacing etc.

I remember a game called starfire where you had overload dampeners they fried themselves taking laser hits and point defense systems that were good for taking out a or a few missiles then effectively required replacing. If you limit the number you can put on any one ship then you can negate a chunk of damage without giving anyone a 'get out of death free card'.

I realize we already have some things like this (extra fuel pods and the like) but a few more would help sponge up the credits with something play worthy.
So you've got a gold plated hull, who are you going to show off too? It's a solo game. Ya gonna take screen grabs and post em on the forum? :D

That said look at grand theft auto V, they have 1001 car customs that you can spend your cash on. Problem is how do you implement something like that? It would be a nightmare. Anyway if your putting in superfluous expensive flotsam then why bother thinking up anything that makes sense?

"You see that? That a rare hungurian filantipating fooglewang."
"what does it do?"
"I don't KNOW! but it's very very expensive!"

:D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ffutures wrote:
No, but a thought occurred to me, reading your suggestions.. if you make the bling take up cargo space, a lot of people will be reluctant to fit them.. cargo space is valuable, so if you're going to reduce it, there has to be some tangible benefit to doing so.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Some ideas:
- UUHD (ultra-ultra HD) entertainment system with 7.1 sound system, complete with library of latest release 4D movies from Tionisla
- Renovated bathroom for that superior refresher feel. Perfect for long haul journeys
- Relaxation/massage room (1-5 tons storage)
- Playstation 18 complete with minigames to while away the slow run into the main station behind that Boa.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Ok, I'll play.....

A 1 ton cargo pod ankle deep in gin and hookers.
toto d merchant
Above Average
Above Average

Post by toto d merchant »

ffutures wrote:
In an earlier thread I mentioned that the game needs some bling - otherwise useless items that soak up money in purchase and by getting damaged etc. We already have a few examples, such as the Ship's Cat add-on and the tea maker, this thread is for suggesting more. So without further ado here are a few examples:

Luxury cabin - exactly like the normal cabin except it's called luxury, costs twice as much, and weighs an extra ton. Maybe it's fur-lined or something. No discernable game effect otherwise.

Stripper pole (yes, I like Iron Man as a source for these ideas) - add-on for luxury cabin, costs a couple of thousand credits, if the stripper pole is damaged the cabin cannot be used until it's repaired. Pre-requisite, at least one luxury cabin fitted for each stripper pole fitted.

Gem-studded hull. Costs 1000 credits per ton cargo capacity, makes the ship look slightly sparkly (not sure how you'd make this work in game), likely to take damage in firefights, during fuel scooping runs, and planetary landings.

Custom laser noise - sound module that makes an awesome "pew-pew-pew" noise as the lasers are fired. But it's just a sound chip in the weapons control console, not anything the lasers are actually doing. 1000 credits.

Pet rock. A large boulder carried as the ship's pet. Does nothing, takes 1-5 tons of cargo space.

companions, beautiful companions would go better with the luxury cabin and the stripper poles. what will you do with a pet rock?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I'd be happy with a computer with Oolite v28.7 installed :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
toto d merchant
Above Average
Above Average

Smivs wrote:
as count hashemir fenring once asked baron harkonnen, "why does oolite er hmmm, circumlocute around the er hmmmm sexual er hmmm question?
Last edited by toto d merchant on Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

toto d merchant wrote:
Smivs wrote:
as count hashemir fenring once asked baron harkonnen, "why does oolite er hmmm, circomlocute around the er hmmmm sexual er hmmm question?
Simple, this is a family forum :D

But would the Friendly Gourd have finished his shipset by v28.7? :P
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Fatleaf wrote:
But would the Friendly Gourd have finished his shipset by v28.7? :P
No promises, but I'd hope so. :D
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Diziet Sma wrote:
ffutures wrote:
No, but a thought occurred to me, reading your suggestions.. if you make the bling take up cargo space, a lot of people will be reluctant to fit them.. cargo space is valuable, so if you're going to reduce it, there has to be some tangible benefit to doing so.
OK, let's see...

Luxury Cabin - adds 5% to passenger fees for that cabin, would need an option for cabin selection in the passenger contract part of the game.
Stripper pole - I really have no idea.
Jewelled hull - reduces laser damage slightly since the gems act as reflectors
Pet rock - they start off at 1 ton; if your ship is ever infected by a Trumble it will eventually eat it, but grow to occupy another ton of cargo space. After 5 tons they die and you have to buy another.
Custom laser noise - gives a tiny bonus to aiming?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

How about the opportunity to acquire a Significant Other (or - perhaps combined with Explorers' Club - a Significant Other in every port)? This could generate demands for financial support, gifts, unexpected debts, sudden surprises ("I'm/You're pregnant/gravid/etc.!") with their own attached costs, and so on and so forth.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Disembodied wrote:
... perhaps combined with Explorers' Club - a Significant Other in every port...
Crikey! 2048 Significant Others? 2048 Wifelets?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

It does sound rather exhausting, doesn't it? :!:
toto d merchant
Above Average
Above Average

i would further suggest that we dispense with hauling that heavy cumbersome utterly useless pet rock onboard and install a tleilaxu type axlotl tank instead. that would enable the more childlike commanders, or those who feel bound to a 1950s moral code which emphasizes family values, to grow their non multiplying harmless cuddly little pets from genetic material. the more mature or adventurous among us will also be enabled to grow our own young daryl hannah or current hunk inspired designs. the designer tanks will of course be much more expensive than the knockoffs and the fakes.
Last edited by toto d merchant on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.