Docking Computer

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Docking Computer

Post by ralph_hh »

CaptSolo wrote:
Crikey, you young whippersnappers... Always in a bloody hurry. I hope you don't make love that way!
Technically, in the latter, injection is after docking...
:lol:
Seriously, I never use the DC and I don't line up with or fly toward the beacon. When given the go ahead, I fly up to the station entrance whilst making use of either port or starboard view. Time comes around when the way looks good I switch to the forward view, pitch and roll, and casually fly in. If the Imperial March is playing on HyperRadio, all the better an experience it is.
If there'd be an OXP that played the imperial march in a well orchestrated manned, I'd even be willing to let the DC do the job for some minutes. That blue danube is.. well... Mr. Strauss, no offense, but I've heard it too often.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

ralph_hh wrote:
If there'd be an OXP that played the imperial march in a well orchestrated manner, I'd even be willing to let the DC do the job for some minutes. That blue danube is.. well... Mr. Strauss, no offense, but I've heard it too often.
The famous opening minute and a half of Thus Spake Zarathrustra playing when one launches, OTOH...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ralph_hh wrote:
If there'd be an OXP that played the imperial march in a well orchestrated manned, I'd even be willing to let the DC do the job for some minutes.
Finding a recording with a suitable license is the difficult part. :wink:

There's nothing stopping you rolling your own, but without appropriate licensing, you couldn't release it publicly.
Wildeblood wrote:
The famous opening minute and a half of Thus Spake Zarathrustra playing when one launches, OTOH...
Damn.. now there's a fun idea! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

Wildeblood wrote:
That would be epic!
QCS
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by QCS »

Imaginos wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
That would be epic!
Well... The sound is there (the second one), even compatible in license (CC:By 3.0). Now someone needs to make the little OXP which plays on Launching ;-) I could do it, too, I guess. I don't have the time today, and I believe you want to hurry to have it :-P

Edit: A better version (because from a real orchestra) is here (Recording part one) but I don't know if the license allows cutting out the first 90s of the record and using it in the game.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

QCS wrote:
I don't know if the license allows cutting out the first 90s of the record and using it in the game.
For those countries where it's public domain, that would not be an issue. Basically, you could make use of it in any way you wish.

Interesting that the situation for that particular recording may be different for the EU than the rest of the world..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Interesting that the situation for that particular recording may be different for the EU than the rest of the world..
The situation for the score and so on may be different, and that is an interesting variation. That particular recording, though, was made in 2000 and so is going to be copyrighted in all conventional jurisdictions (and it has a CC license, but it's a no-derivatives one, so you can't chop it up and I don't think you can even include it in a distributable OXP)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

cim wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
The situation for the score and so on may be different, and that is an interesting variation. That particular recording, though, was made in 2000 and so is going to be copyrighted in all conventional jurisdictions (and it has a CC license, but it's a no-derivatives one, so you can't chop it up and I don't think you can even include it in a distributable OXP)
More importantly, IMHO, it's not a particularly impressive performance/recording.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Do you really plan to make the launch sequence 90seconds long just to listen to some musik? After 90 seconds I've usually launched, hyperjumped to a new system and targeted my first pirate...
Also for the docking sequence, since the DC has proven to be absolutely incapable of proper (means in a sensible time frame) docking, I feel the effort of improving the music may be a waste of time.

Have you seen the move Apocalypse now? The guy swiched on some Music from Wagner: Ride of the Valkyres. Now, that would be a nice feature, if you engage tough RH job, sitch on your personal "we go to war" music. But hey, I have my CD player close by anyway.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

ralph_hh wrote:
Do you really plan to make the launch sequence 90seconds long just to listen to some musik? After 90 seconds I've usually launched, hyperjumped to a new system and targeted my first pirate...
Sounds are asynchronous*; a 90 second sound sample doesn't imply a 90 second launch effect. I would invite you to try out one of the very oldest OXPs, milinks' Custom Sounds OXP to hear how it works. Don't assume that BGS is the last word in background sounds.

* I think that's the right word. Y'all know what I mean.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Imaginos wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
That would be epic!
But you realise then some evil git would perhaps have to hack YAH and replace all the billboards with big black monoliths... :twisted:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thargoid wrote:
Imaginos wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
That would be epic!
But you realise then some evil git would perhaps have to hack YAH and replace all the billboards with big black monoliths... :twisted:
This is sounding better and better! :lol:

(pun not intended)
toto d merchant
Above Average
Above Average

Post by toto d merchant »

[/color][/quote]
This is sounding better and better! :lol:

(pun not intended)[/quote]
i replaced the docking computer music with eumir deodato's 1975 version of also sprach zarathustra and docking seems to proceed faster.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

You mean, the DC takes ages to dock because he likes to listen to the Blue Danube???
:shock:
toto d merchant
Above Average
Above Average

Post by toto d merchant »

ralph_hh wrote:
You mean, the DC takes ages to dock because he likes to listen to the Blue Danube???
:shock:
yes that seems to be the case. heh heh.