Docking Computer

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Docking Computer

Post by Venator Dha »

ralph_hh wrote:
Time can become critical as soon as you chose to deliver a few more contracts simultaneously.
Especially if you have been forced to repair some damaged equipment along the way, which all costs time. It can become quite a challenge to manage all the contracts and routes when you have damaged equipment - A damaged Navel Energy Unit is quite a dilemma: repair and lose a lot of time or not and have big problems fighting multiple enemies.
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

Indeed, most contract leave some time to spare, especially when you have the advanced navigational array, so quickdocking is not really an issue.
Plus, with the shorter jumps there is a lot of oppertunity to go pirate hunting...
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
toto d merchant
Above Average
Above Average

Post by toto d merchant »

For any other purposes it seems to be completely useless. Well, except of course if you like the music.

I was able to clip all of my fingernails before my ship docked using the dc.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

It has been said many a time here on this forum that as soon as you are in a position to afford it, you don't need it. But for immersion it can be very good. Sometimes If I have a good book I want to read as well as wanting to play a bit and I can't decide which I do cargo runs, avoiding as much fighting as possible and using the DC. Get to do both and really enjoy the time. Feel like a proper hauler.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

Well, running 1.80, when the least bump against the sides of the docking bay induces a space-bar push, it's kind of nice to have something else take over while you grab another beer & make a sandwich (though the dorking computer is still only about 9 for 10 on the whole "not blowing up" thingy).
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

fronclynne wrote:
...(though the dorking computer is still only about 9 for 10 on the whole "not blowing up" thingy).
The DC is to be viewed in a similar manner as to cats. It is cute and cuddly most of the time, but you just know it is evil at its heart and is plotting to kill you. Just look at it sitting there, staring at you all the time, day after day, hour after hour. Thinking, planning, plotting! Tis wickedness in a box.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hey Leafy, next time you visit...the Cats want a word :evil:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

I hope I dont't interfere with your cat topic. To add something, I can say that I like cats, unless they start leaving their droppings in my garden or kill the lovely birds we have here.

To the docking computer...
What defines the ability for fast docking (Shift-C)? Is this the core game or the OXP? Can I somehow expand this to the other dockables like navy stations, space bar, con-store? Or ist this impossible because they lack an Aegis safety zone?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

The Wiki might be of use - here.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
toto d merchant
Above Average
Above Average

Norby wrote:
I aimed the semi-automatic [wiki]ILS[/wiki] to be the golden mean, where you can handle the speed and roll so you will dock pretty fast, even on Injectors if you want to improve your reflexes. ;)
yes sir norby, the instrument landing system is, aside from being the product of your brilliant mind, also a gift from the gods, who watch over us and make us adhere to the strict laws of prudery here on fatleaf's family forum. the ils is a steal for 50 credits, and makes me feel like a fool for saving up for the docking computer. as another aside, proper manual docking is not really how the big guns here teach it. the big guns say that all you have to do is get as close as possible to the nav beacon and then head straight for the docking slot but... that's a no no. manual docking is actually, as per my gut wrenching experience, a four step process: 1:you go as close to the nav beacon then 2: head for the coriolis death trap and then stop... yes stop when you are 5km away from it. then 3: you head back for the beacon. that's right, you go back to the beacon and get real close. press 2 or f2 for the rear view and align your ship with the docking slot. 4:turn around and enter the docking slot, all the while matching your ship's rotation with that of the station's. time consuming isn't it? yes it is if you don't want your ship to get smashed.
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

@tdmerch, I'm sure many here have there own little tricks to make the manual docking process easier, but yours seems a little overkill (sorry wrong pun unintended).

I look at the process in terms of simple vectors. 1) Cruise in horizontal and normal (90deg) to beacon-slot line (use the scanner). 2) Use the L or R view (whichever applicable) to look at the station and stop when the dock lights at the back are centred in the slot (or the slot is centred (for all of those extra stations)) using the parallax effect because the back of the slot is further away than the front then go to f'ward view and rotate to face the slot. 2.5) If there is another ship docking, you have a bit of time up your sleeve on its final approach to rotate and make vertical the line from the dock lights in the slot extending through the docking ship, then fly slowly 'above' the docking ship until it lines up with the lights and stop again. 3) Fly toward the centre of the dock lights without rotating and only start rotating near the end when you have to.

When you get good at it, it doesn't really matter how you approach the beacon-slot line, you can always rotate your ship to the right orientation as you get there. Watch an NPC do it, their method is consistent and can be done just from the f'ward view, and they don't necessarily get real close to the beacon.
SteveKing
(not quite the author)
toto d merchant
Above Average
Above Average

@tdmerch, I'm sure many here have there own little tricks to make the manual docking process easier, but yours seems a little overkill (sorry wrong pun unintended).

your method is as scary as your novels mr. king (heh heh joke intended) but i'll give it a try.
Last edited by toto d merchant on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

My preferred method is to aim at the midpoint between station and nav buoy, with the station above and the buoy below. When the scanner shows the station directly above me and the nav buoy below me - when the two lollipop stems intersect - I pitch up hard and aim for the centre of the docking port. Then it's full speed ahead and match the rotation.

With practice, you can do this entire manoeuvre at full speed, by picking the moment just before the lollipop stems meet to pitch up: very handy if someone is shooting at you! Although it's not ideal in heavy traffic ...
Cody

Post by Cody »

Approach the station, on injectors, from the spaceward side, hop over it, flip your ship, and dock - piece of cake!
Of course, permission to dock must be obtained - if there is a queue, then it's either wait or pay the (hefty) fine!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Cody wrote:
Approach the station, on injectors, from the spaceward side, hop over it, flip your ship, and dock - piece of cake!
<Chuckles>
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.