COMPETITION: unbalanced oxp-uber-mega-weapons

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: COMPETITION: unbalanced oxp-uber-mega-weapons

Post by cim »

Wildeblood wrote:
Paladin Tux wrote:
I swear I have made a station throws sparks before. And even destroyed it...I swear.
Rock hermits are easily destroyed, but main stations should be* impossible to damage with normal weapons.
They can be damaged with normal weapons fairly easily, though plasma turrets are about the only thing which can consistently deal damage faster than they regenerate it without either overheating or running out of ammunition.

They can't be reduced to 0 energy with normal weapons, however - they'll just stay throwing sparks forever.
Paladin Tux
Competent
Competent

Post by Paladin Tux »

Man, I destroy rock hermits for a living. Just a punch punch from the mil laser and there. Boulders. Flip to mining and scoop up the splinters. I don't always do it. I mean if you got a wonderworm why not use it to it's full?
Now with 100% less Wonderworm!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Hello! Could I get some advice here, please?

Code: Select all

this.name    = "Station Self-Destruction";
this.version = "1.0";

this.playerBoughtEquipment = function (equipment) {
        "use strict";
        if (equipment === "EQ_STATION_DESTRUCTION_CODES") {
            this._applyCode();
        }
        delete this.playerBoughtEquipment;  <------- THIS LINE
    }
Could someone advise what effect that line would have? I'm wondering why I included it, and whether it was meant to be inside the iffyness, thus:

Code: Select all

this.playerBoughtEquipment = function (equipment) {
        "use strict";
        if (equipment === "EQ_STATION_DESTRUCTION_CODES") {
            this._applyCode();
            delete this.playerBoughtEquipment;
        }
    }
(The function _applyCode sets an interface on the F4 screen where one can start a countdown to destroy the station.)

Also, excellent wiki page, Mr Cholmondely.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

That line will delete the function from the script, meaning when the player next buys a piece of equipment, the function will not fire again.

And yes, I think it should be in the If block, because as it stands, it will be deleted as soon as you buy *any* piece of equipment.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

phkb wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:01 pm
...as it stands, it will be deleted as soon as you buy *any* piece of equipment.
Thank you for confirming that. I suspect I put in deliberately, though, given the context. Thanks.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Wildeblood wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:32 pm
... excellent wiki page, Mr Cholmondely.
Thanking you! But actually many of the wiki pages are the fault of Hiran. He bamboozled me into embarking on a crusade to put all the OXZs from the Expansions Manager (+ individual pieces of equipment) on the wiki. And produced a programme which catalogued it all. Making it much, much, simpler.

He also had a stab at getting me to do all the ships, but I have little feel for them. I also find the distinctions between (eg) Category:Ships, Category:Oolite ships and Category:Ships OXPs quite bewildering, bemusing and benumbing - not to mention the "Complete ship object list", the "Ship data table here" and the "Complete Ship List"... And Montana05 did some of those pages anyway.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:48 pm
But actually many of the wiki pages are the fault of Hiran. He bamboozled me into embarking on a crusade to put all the OXZs from the Expansions Manager (+ individual pieces of equipment) on the wiki. And produced a programme which catalogued it all.
What, he's forcing you to work your way through all that list? I hope you've got a safeword, or something. (Whatever that means.)

And here I was, thinking you had memorized the entire contents of this BB, and were just pouring it out into new wiki pages as the whims took you. I never heard of anyone working through a list around here. (This "Hiran" sounds like a bully.)

I'd like your advice though: in your researches, have you come across any traces or fragments of my lost "Save and Jump" OXP? That is my actual purpose in being here this week.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Wildeblood wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:16 am
I'd like your advice though: in your researches, have you come across any traces or fragments of my lost "Save and Jump" OXP? That is my actual purpose in being here this week.
A couple of mentions. But nothing useful in terms of finding it/reconstructing it. Sorry.

It sounded good. I presume that you found the current equivalent.

By the way, what was your "About Time OXP" about?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:30 am
By the way, what was your "About Time OXP" about?
Not mine. That was the old Tardis OXP. I was doing community service by checking old ship OXPs to see if they still worked, and converting the XML files to openstep (?) files ("by hand" as it were).

I did have some ideas for a time travel OXP, and I would have called it "About Time", but if you come across a file called AboutTime.zip it's essentially the same as Tardis.zip (except it's player flyable :mrgreen: ).
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Apologies. I'm a moron. I had it tucked away in my "Testing folder". Here! I'm obviously losing more brain cells to dotage than I'd realised. I also found a note I'd written about your About Time being a rejig of the Tardis which I'd added to the Tardis page on the wiki 2 years ago.
Comments wanted:
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Maybe...

Does it look like this?:
https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/File: ... nd_0.4.zip