Oolite: misjumpier

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite: misjumpier

Post by Astrobe »

spara wrote:
I don't really like the traditional roll the dice and see if you misjump to witchspace. To my liking that's too binary and you really just can't do anything about it. So to the original question about acquiring skill or different outcomes I really have nothing to say.

But... What I would really like is some sort of witchjump mini game that would require minimal skill when your ship is fully maintained and considerably more skill when the ship is at bad shape. Something like navigating through a tunnel or maybe trying to keep to some needles aligned when they randomly drift out of sync.
I really love the idea. If one makes it an approach vector to the wormhole, that must be followed within certain tolerances (perhaps even the longer the jump, the smaller the error margin!), it looks like it could be OXPed (judging from other OXPs like ILS or visible masslock).
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Switeck wrote:
Just as the player can ride other ships' wormholes, any misjump from near a busy station should have NPC ships which ride your wormhole...and they have full fuel to jump out giving you a wormhole escape route.

Presumably, these NPCs were wanting to go where you had targeted to begin with...so they likely choose the same destination as before.
I would have no problems with this if ships were routinely following me through wormholes, but my experience has been that this rarely happens, and when it does it's usually bad news, e.g. Thargoids or pirates.

I've sometimes wasted a good deal of time waiting for another ship to go where I wanted to go, and ended up using my own drives because nobody was headed that way. Usually most of the ships jumping out seem to be headed away from the direction I want to go. So why should you suddenly become a ship magnet every time you misjump?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ffutures wrote:
I've sometimes wasted a good deal of time waiting for another ship to go where I wanted to go, and ended up using my own drives because nobody was headed that way. Usually most of the ships jumping out seem to be headed away from the direction I want to go. So why should you suddenly become a ship magnet every time you misjump?
Hehehe.. patience is a virtue.. when making a long jump to a RH job, I've sometimes waited over an hour for a ship that would take me to my destination.. :wink:

However, I do agree with the point you're making.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Hehehe.. patience is a virtue.. when making a long jump to a RH job, I've sometimes waited over an hour for a ship that would take me to my destination.. :wink:

However, I do agree with the point you're making.
Have you ever tried just jumping there and avoiding the RH target, going to the station first to refuel and only then attacking the mark? My preferred method when long jumps are involved.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

ralph_hh wrote:
Have you ever tried just jumping there and avoiding the RH target, going to the station first to refuel and only then attacking the mark? My preferred method when long jumps are involved.
I used to fly straight to the star, refuel and then return to the witchpoint before heading planetward. It's quicker and there are far less distractions.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Smivs wrote:
ralph_hh wrote:
I used to fly straight to the star, refuel and then return to the witchpoint before heading planetward. It's quicker and there are far less distractions.
I use the dive 90° perpendicular to the spacelane for 10 seconds, then to the planet method. :-)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yes, that's a bit of an exploit to avoid trouble really though. It's not much help if you are looking for a specific ship like a RH Mark on the 'lanes.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Yea, that discussion will last forever. The Thorus drive is the exploit, the spacelanes make sense.

I use it to avoid non-troublesome traders, which I would shoot down otherwise to get out of mass locks. In anarchy systems I go by the lanes to enjoy some trouble :-)
The RH mark can be spotted often from far outside scanner range, to avoid that one and circumnatigate would be possible even without the Thorus 90° bypass.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ralph_hh wrote:
Have you ever tried just jumping there and avoiding the RH target, going to the station first to refuel and only then attacking the mark?
Nope.. suppose I ran into them on the way in, and had no injector-juice? How embarrassing, as Yoda would say..

And no, I wouldn't use the fuel-scooping or lane-dodging manoeuvres.. not my style. Hunters need to be patient anyway, so it just fits the persona, IMO.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

Cody wrote:
ralph_hh wrote:
No? Please enlighten me...
If you should find yourself in interstellar space without enough fuel to escape, do not despair - carry on splashing Thargoids, and keep your eyes peeled.
ralph_hh wrote:
I collected 10t of the small ships, but did not try to burn them in my engines :-)
You appear to suggest that there is some way to use or convert those things to fuel ? My cargo is full of them but still can't open a wormwhole without using the "extra fuel addons". Some jumps force you to jump more than about 4.5ly, so you don't have at least 1/3 fuel remaining - half of the jump distance, which is apparently needed to jump out of that nowhere. Provided you don't use the fuel injectors at any time during the fight, which seems impossible. And waiting a long time in such situations just for someone to open the wormwhole for you is just silly.
Also, what if you just have an Adder with a pulse laser still.

I hate these kind of puzzles, I also didn't understand that thing with trumbles until reading about it in plain words at wikipedia. If you search hard enough, you should be rewarded by getting the answer.

EDIT
toto d merchant wrote:
not true, there's always a fifty percent chance of a misjump between tionisla and isinor, where the thargoids, har har har, lie in wait.
Cannot be true. I didn't count my attempts, but if there's something special there, the chance of a Thargoid attack must be much smaller than 50%. Maybe 10% or so, that might be. (I was seeking Thargoid fights.)
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

ffutures wrote:
I really think that anything that increases the misjump probability shouldn't be part of the core game - every change seems to be in the direction of making things more interesting for very experienced players, and while that's fine for most of the users of this board, it isn't exactly ideal for someone coming new to the game and trying to decide if they want to stick with it. The ability to jump out of a horrible situation and probably survive has always been a key part of keeping newbies alive, I'd really hate to see that change.
Fully agree.
Please stop messing with the core game. A fundimental problem to operation, running the game, ye ok. But enhancement for fun or interest should be kept to add ons.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

G'day, Anon. Welcome aboard.