You picked the wrong client

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Lazarus
Average
Average

Re: You picked the wrong client

Post by Lazarus »

Thanks for the recommendation, it's great! Definitely livened-up the spaceways a bit :)
Currently flying: Honest Bargain II (Cobra Mk III)
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Venator Dha wrote:
Imaginos wrote:
So if a commander destroys these clean assassins in self defense, will the commander be marked as a fugitive?
If there are Police around to see, and if you are seen to have the first hit.
So:
  • if you are attacked by a clean assassin and there is no police then both you and the assassin remain clean.
    if you are attacked by a clean assassin and their hit is seen by police (before you hit them) then they will be offenders and attacked by the police. You can now attack them without any problems with the law.
    if you are attacked by a clean assassin and your hit is seen by police (before they hit you) then you will be offender and attacked by the police.
may i ask a related question? the other day as i was docking i had to wait while another ship docked. i am clean. i had the targeting on for some reason, probably a wrong keypress. the ship in front of me showed as offender. my question is could i have shot him? or does shooting in the aegis even if its at an offender is disapproved of by the law?
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

spud42 wrote:
...the ship in front of me showed as offender. my question is could i have shot him? or does shooting in the aegis even if its at an offender is disapproved of by the law?
You can shoot any offender/fugitive in the aegis and GalCop view it as doing them a favour. You would get awarded the kill plus the bounty and remain clean.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

Fatleaf wrote:
spud42 wrote:
...the ship in front of me showed as offender. my question is could i have shot him? or does shooting in the aegis even if its at an offender is disapproved of by the law?
You can shoot any offender/fugitive in the aegis and GalCop view it as doing them a favour. You would get awarded the kill plus the bounty and remain clean.
That's useful to know. I always presumed that any fire within the aegis would land me in trouble.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Imaginos wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
You can shoot any offender/fugitive in the aegis and GalCop view it as doing them a favour. .
That's useful to know. I always presumed that any fire within the aegis would land me in trouble.
Strictly no, but it is very easy to hit the wrong target - that station is a lot bigger than a barn door :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

You can get away with just a warning for one stray shot now, I think (or is that only in trunk?).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
heir
Competent
Competent

Post by heir »

This is a bit extreme. Got bored of milk run. So tried passenger service. On my 3rd trip and those jobs was far in between. I was chased by these guys. It was only for 300 cred ride! Now I make more profit in milk run than that passenger run and a lot less grief.

Sold passenger berth. If I was going for big money ride, I understand the risk. For 300 Crees, meh. :)
Cody

Post by Cody »

You do have to prove yourself - as your rep improves, so the more lucrative contracts will be offered.
I don't know about passenger contracts, but at the top level, parcel contracts can run to five figures.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

Cody wrote:
You do have to prove yourself - as your rep improves, so the more lucrative contracts will be offered.
I don't know about passenger contracts, but at the top level, parcel contracts can run to five figures.
Yes they do as well :D
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Passenger contract prices also increase exponentially with destination distance. They are (by design) less profitable than cargo runs under normal circumstances, though.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Smivs wrote:
Imaginos wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
You can shoot any offender/fugitive in the aegis and GalCop view it as doing them a favour. .
Strictly no, but it is very easy to hit the wrong target - that station is a lot bigger than a barn door :wink:
no sweat i was literally in his exhaust. my front mil laser would have made short work... lol
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spud42 wrote:
no sweat i was literally in his exhaust. my front mil laser would have made short work... lol
That's a seriously dangerous position to take him out from, whilst he was docking.. his ship goes 'pop', your finger is a fraction slow coming off the fire button, and your mil laser pumps the last of its energy straight into the station dock. Congratulations, you're now a fugitive with an extremely short life expectancy! :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

worth a try once... lol
OR i could go with
or simply
heir
Competent
Competent

Post by heir »

Back to the original subject. I find it weird that since my profile has gone up, I no longer get that message or get attacked. Is this by design?
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by richard.a.p.smith »

Hello. Been a while since I played Oolite. Generally good, the new version, and thanks as ever but this is one area I think needs a bit of a tweak - although I think it's a good idea.

The frequency of these attacks is way over the top; are they really expected every single jump, even with one contract? Should I really encounter 10, 20, 30, 40+ of these ships at the witch-point?

In terms of explanation of it, the pilots are hired to stop whatever parcel it is, fine, but why are they all clean? In the real world if you want a thug to attack someone surely you are not going to find that 100% of suitable candidates are not already known to the police, are you?

As a minor point, if you do manage to wipe out all forty of the ships that jumped you, you end up with 40 more kills but that's it, no bounty, no cargo canisters, very rarely any escape pods or alloys to pick up. That makes it a little tedious and then the point of doing it is lost.

I did read in another thread a suggestion that fewer but deadlier attacks would be better and I agree - sort of an inverted random hits thing, with fugitive thugs in tough ships attacking or even following if you don't kill them (is that possible?).

Cheers

Richard