Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Multi-function Display

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Falcon777
Dangerous
Dangerous

Multi-function Display

Post by Falcon777 »

So....I downloaded a hud oxz that said it was a mfd (multi-function display) hud. I then downloaded another oxz listed as being mfd...and I have yet to see them work. Is mfd another way of saying that the oxz can be modified by the player? The two I have are comms log and combat. The combat hud isn't so important to me as I can fight fine without modifying anything, but I would like to be able to scroll back on my comms to see what some of those people out there are saying while I'm still flying around. By the time I dock/hyperspace...some of the things they are saying may be too late for me to take advantage of. This becomes even more...aggravated? if I were to download the broadcast mfd oxp, which I would like to do but don't want to do if I can't get it to work.

Help?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Multi-function Display

Post by Wildeblood »

Falcon777 wrote:
So....I downloaded a hud oxz that said it was a mfd (multi-function display) hud. I then downloaded another oxz listed as being mfd...and I have yet to see them work.
Use the colon & semi-colon keys ( : & ; ) to switch on MFDs.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wildeblood wrote:
Falcon777 wrote:
So....I downloaded a hud oxz that said it was a mfd (multi-function display) hud. I then downloaded another oxz listed as being mfd...and I have yet to see them work.
Use the colon & semi-colon keys ( : & ; ) to switch on and cycle through installed MFDs.
Added a little extra clarification for you.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

having a little trouble myself . using the coluber ch01 hud. i cant seem to figure out where the MFD is going to show... does each hud put the mfd in a different place? or is there a std positioning template for HUD's so we can set the position of the MFD? i go to the config and get a list of 20 MFD positions or a second pade that goes from 21 to 40.. but when i put a MFD in a position there seems no logic to the numbers... last night i ended up with 2 comms logs showing on the right of the screen but no MFD was pick in the config? then i restarted it and they dissapeared.. so do you have to restart the game every time you move a hud position? is there a logical default layout for MFD i.e. position 1 is top left 2 is next to it 5 is top right corner etc?

or am i doing this totally wrong?
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

MFD positions are specified in the hud.plist (in the HUD OXP's Config folder).
This is an extract from my Widescreen SmartHUD, which has two MFD positions, top left and top right corners.

Code: Select all

multi_function_displays = (
		{
			width = 198;
			height = 132;
			x = -300;
			y = -72;
			y_origin = 1;
		},
		{
			width = 198;
			height = 132;
			x = 300;
			y = -72;
			y_origin = 1;
		}
The width and height are the dimensions of the MFD 'box', and the position on-screen is set by the x and y co-ordinates. It is these that you will have to change to move the MFD to a different screen position.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

thank you your Pan Dimensional Mega Beingness.....
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

spud42 wrote:
get a list of 20 MFD positions or a second page that goes from 21 to 40..
The numbers mean the order of MFDs in the actual hud.plist. I set the max. in the MFD config screen within [wiki]HUDSelector[/wiki] to 40 due to the included Original HUD has 10 MFDs and there is a feature in NumericHUD to show different MFDs in each view so theoretically if this feature will be in Original HUD then you can define 40 MFDs in total which is enough for a while imho. ;)
spud42 wrote:
last night i ended up with 2 comms logs showing on the right of the screen but no MFD was pick in the config? then i restarted it and they dissapeared.. so do you have to restart the game every time you move a hud position?
In Oolite 1.80 you must preset your MFDs in Interfaces and save your game to always get your favorite MFDs right after undock, but all MFD changes during flight will be lost at next launch. A new feature in 1.81 allow to save the in-flight changes but if you exit without saving your game then the last saved state of MFDs will return.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Code: Select all

//C O M M L O G   G U I   S E T T I N G
	comm_log_gui =
		{  	 
			width 		= 160;
  			height 		= 80;
  			x 		= 242;
  			y 		= -48;
			y_origin	= 0;
  			row_height	= 11;
			background_rgba = "0.5 0.5 0.5 0";
		};

//M U L T I   F U N C T I O N   D I S P L A Y S
	multi_function_displays = (
		{
			width = 150;
			height = 108;
			x = 80;
			y = -58;
			x_origin = -1;
			y_origin = 1;
		},
		{
			width = 150;
			height = 108;
			x = -80;
			y = -58;
			x_origin = 1;
			y_origin = 1;
		},
		{
			width = 150;
			height = 108;
			x = 240;
			y = -58;
			x_origin = -1;
			y_origin = 1;
		},
		{
			width = 150;
			height = 108;
			x = -240;
			y = -58;
			x_origin = 1;
			y_origin = 1;
		},
		{
			width = 150;
			height = 108;
			x = 80;
			y = -176;
			x_origin = -1;
			y_origin = 1;
		},
		{
			width = 150;
			height = 108;
			x = -80;
			y = -176;
			x_origin = 1;
			y_origin = 1;
		},
		{
			width = 150;
			height = 108;
			x = 0;
			y = -58;
			x_origin = 0;
			y_origin = 1;
		},
	);
ok now im confused even more.... it appears there are 7 MFD positions? and is the comms log hard coded to a certain spot?
OR i could go with
or simply
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

No, Comms log can be relocated, again by changing its x/y co-ordinates. Just to be clear, the Comms log is the text you get from other ships, stations etc, and has a dark blue background. It is not an MFD in itself, but I think there is a Comms Log MFD which shows this information persistently.
A quick glance tells me that code does seem to show 7 MFDs, three down each side and one top centre? Can't have too much of a good thing, eh? :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
Can't have too much of a good thing, eh?
Hmm, two MFDs are more than enough for me - one for nav and one for the ship's library.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Smivs wrote:
No, Comms log can be relocated, again by changing its x/y co-ordinates. Just to be clear, the Comms log is the text you get from other ships, stations etc, and has a dark blue background. It is not an MFD in itself, but I think there is a Comms Log MFD which shows this information persistently.
A quick glance tells me that code does seem to show 7 MFDs, three down each side and one top centre? Can't have too much of a good thing, eh? :wink:
so how do i specify which of the positions i want a MFD to be displayed?
OR i could go with
or simply
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

spud42 wrote:
how do i specify which of the positions i want a MFD to be displayed?
1. Read about origins then set the source of alignment.
2. Decide the size of your MFD and set in width and height, 120*90 is enough for me. A whole 4:3 screen is equal with 640*480 regardless of the actual resolution.
3. Shift the center point of MFD using x and y. For example if you selected the bottom left corner by y_origin=-1 and x_origin=-1 then use the half of your width and height values to shift the center up and right to show the full MFD within the screen.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Smivs wrote:
i dont have a coms log with a dark blue background in this HUD. there seems to be a com log above the right hand instruments.
and no the MFD positions turn out to be 5 across the top and another one on left and right sides in the next row.... and to make things even less intuitive they are numbered as follows

using the HUD and MFD selector from the F4 menu, go to MFD setup, then that shows a list of 20 MFD, 1 to 7 is the first 7 in this list.
OR i could go with
or simply
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spud42 wrote:
or am i doing this totally wrong?
I guess that depends on just what you're trying to achieve.. are you wanting to edit the HUD so that it only has the MFD positions you actually want, or are you simply trying to set up an arrangement that you like, and save it so that you don't need to do it manually each time you launch?

Because throughout all the above, I can't quite figure out just what it is you're trying to do.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

i guess i wanted to find out if there was a consistent MFD position between HUDS. but it seems that there is not. i would have expected MFD position 2 to be next to position 1 . not the case.

yes i was just trying to set up the hud how i would like it. i guess with the extra info that has been shown me i can now tweak the huds even further in size and position if i wanted. is there a way to change those green squares for the MFD's i mean the transparency and maybe even the colour? and is that in the HUD plists or the MFD plist? or is this set in core?
OR i could go with
or simply