New Lasers v0.7.oxz

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: New Lasers v0.5.oxz

Post by Day »

Redspear wrote:
As for the 'uber' lasers they're distributed differently but you can likely work out where to look.

Of course you can find them by accident or alternatively you might be in a suitable place but the tech level is too low.
All of them can be found in main stations.

If anyone can't work it out then just ask or PM me, but as I said, you can find all of them by accident if you explore enough.

Happy hunting :)
It make me think to a Zelda quest :D
Maybe you should drop some in-game hints?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Day wrote:
Maybe you should drop some in-game hints?
Never played it, so I hope that's a good thing :D

Yeah, that might be interesting but not sure how to do it yet in a way that wouldn't become annoying or require snoopers...
The clues are in the game already in a sense. For the normal lasers it's just a matter of recognising a pattern. For the 'uber' ones it may require a little thought but hopefully be rewarding for some.

Because you can find any of them by luck, and none are so rare as to be truly hidden, I'm inclined to leave it as it is for now. For any new pilots needing an early upgade, the megablast laser is nearly ubiqitous, so they should be ok (fingers crossed)...
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Redspear wrote:
Day wrote:
Never played it, so I hope that's a good thing :D
It is :-)

I thought of the game boy serie, not the home console serie.
mohawk
Competent
Competent

Post by mohawk »

now that we have new and different lasers, I realised that the twin plasma cannon, have disappeared in version 1.82!
I had it available in my "customised" krait, just for testing, and but since I upgraded, it is nowhere!

wouldn't it be cool if we could have multiple plasma type weapons like this, with different characteristics?
did they remove it from the game?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

mohawk wrote:
now that we have new and different lasers, I realised that the twin plasma cannon, have disappeared in version 1.82!
[snip]
did they remove it from the game?
The plasma cannon is not officially supported and has been removed, but you can easily bring it back. Open equipment.plist in Resources/Config (or a copy of it in a folder like AdfOns/Config if you do't want to mess with the core files) and find this part:

Code: Select all

/* next item was a test item, no longer supported */
//	(
//		2, 2000, "Twin Plasma Cannon",
//		"EQ_WEAPON_TWIN_PLASMA_CANNON",
//		"Basic cannon delivering charged plasma bursts at sublight speed."
//	),
Remove the '//' from the lines that start with them, save and you should have it back. If this doesn't work, then... sorry, it's not supported. ;-)
mohawk
Competent
Competent

Post by mohawk »

thanks for the quick response another_commander :D

I tried it and at the current state it is almost impossible to kill anything!
if the plasma could have some more speed, so that it is not that easy to dodge, maybe It could make an interesting weapon.
but I guess it is not possible to manipulate it like the lasers in the game is it?

and also since it is not supported, I guess the npcs would not know how to aim ahead of the target to use it effectively. :?

Well I can leave live without it. I was just curious :)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Actually I checked a little closer and what I've written above will not work. The code that was firing plasma shots when the cannon triggered has been physically removed. So it's a good thing that we can live without it for now, and who knows, maybe one day we'll try to bring it back with a better implementation.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Redspear has given me permission to post a link to a version of "New Lasers" that is compatible with the Laser Mount Switching System (LMSS). So if you're using both of those OXP's, this update is for you: New Lasers.oxp (v0.6) (Edit: 0.6 removed in favour of newer version noted below).

When he has some time Redspear will post an official update that incorporates these changes and will be available via the download manager.
Last edited by phkb on Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: New Lasers v0.7.oxz

Post by Redspear »

Thanks to phkb for looking after this for me.

v0.7 is now available from the download manager and incorporates phkb's changes.

New features:
  • Can now use the extra crosshairs available with Xenon HUD
  • Compatible with Equipment by Ship Class (some laser restrictions for the smaller and very low tech ships)
  • Fixed strange laser choice on Cobra Mk I miner
oreganor
Poor
Poor

Post by oreganor »

Just want to mention that on oolite 1.84 there is an "interaction" between LMSS 2.0.7 & New Lasers 0.7 (I also have installed "multiple lasers" & "separate lasers", just in case they are related). It's a bit tricky so I will explain in detail:

- WITHOUT ANY LMSS actuator installed in the ship I see the full array of new lasers on a given station (The 2 examples I'm more interested in are the E28 military laser and the Volt Variscan Laser). I can buy/sell ALL of them normally.

- If I buy one LMSS actuator for any facing AND WITHOUT exiting the equipment screen I can buy the extra lasers without problems.

- From the moment I abandon the equipment screen (For example to use F4 menu to move the actual laser to secondary to buy another one for the LMSS mount) the only lasers I see are the renamed vanilla ones. This situation is persistent across savegame loading and on any other station.

- If I remove ALL LMSS actuators I see the extra lasers again on the equipment screens.

If I understand well, there was a "patched" 0.6 version of New Lasers that fixed this... But so far nothing for the latest 0.7 version. Any detail I'm missing? Or is it intended?

Thanks in advance for any help regarding this. I will post this also on LMSS because I'm not sure which OXP is easier to make it compatible with the other.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

oreganor wrote:
If I understand well, there was a "patched" 0.6 version of New Lasers that fixed this... But so far nothing for the latest 0.7 version. Any detail I'm missing? Or is it intended?
Hi oreganor.

It looks like phkb is already on the case but to answer your questions it certainly isn't intended behaviour on my part.
The changes made in the patched version were carried over into 0.7 so whatever was fixed in 0.6 should have remained so in 0.7.

phkb seems to understand the interaction of these two oxps better than I do but if a compatability tweak is required to this oxp then I'll be happy to add it once I get a bit of time.

Thanks for the report.
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Yes, the bug was with me! Basically a setting was true by default when it needed to be false. New version of LMSS is available with the fix.
oreganor
Poor
Poor

Post by oreganor »

Amazing... Thanks for ultrafast fix.
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Can someone advise me please (as I'm not at all versed in these matters).
I have noticed that since changing my ship recently and selecting the UBER option in f3 menu that my selection of weapons that I can buy(even at TL 14 systems) seems limited. I have amongst my plethora of OXP's :LMSS, Armoury, Eco Lasers, Energy Bomb, Laser Cannons, New Lasers.
Would I be correct in saying that all available laser options should be detailed in the file equipment.plist ?
Only all I can see detailed within there are the basic pulse, beam, military and mining lasers - the other lasers must be detailed elsewhere as I do get the option to buy some laser cannons.
Something doesn't seem right to me but sadly my complete lack of knowledge means that I am struggling to know what to look for or where to look.
Can anyone help please?
O.C.T.D (Oolite Crash Test Dummy) Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm......