[Release] Coluber HUD No. 1

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Coluber HUD No. 1

Post by ffutures »

But won't that mean that it can no longer be handled by HUD manager? Or am I missing something?
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Will be listed in red to prevent the loss of your changes due to an update. You can remove the oxz by hand, install a new version and appy the changes again.

Edit: I mean this to the oxz manager (expansion pack manager in the game). The name of the HUD manager is HUD Selector, which will handle well regardless of changes in plist.
Last edited by Norby on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK, sounds a bit complicated but I'll give it a try.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Well, I've tried doing that twice now and I can't get it to work, and I have other things to do so I'm going to have to leave it. Could I suggest that for some future release of Oolite and/or HUD manager it would be nice to choose linear or non-linear and have it apply to all HUDs, rather than having to customize them individually.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

HUD manager could probably do this for most HUDs - the player.ship.scannerNonLinear and player.ship.scannerUltraZoom properties are available: "linear/non-linear/use HUD default" as options, etc. Switching HUDs would need to be more careful (but switching HUDs need to be more careful when interacting with HUD manager anyway)
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

That would be good, messing around with the files does tend to eat at time available for playing the game, especially if you're as crap at it as I am.

Getting back to Coluber HUD specifically, I've just noticed that it doesn't have an indicator for fine/coarse joystick control, the little circle that was added in the last release of Oolite. Might be a useful addition, I tend to use that a lot.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ffutures wrote:
Getting back to Coluber HUD specifically, I've just noticed that it doesn't have an indicator for fine/coarse joystick control, the little circle that was added in the last release of Oolite. Might be a useful addition, I tend to use that a lot.
If you get the non-linear joystick configuration tuned right, you may find, like me, that joystick precision mode is no longer even necessary.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

cim wrote:
HUD manager could probably do this
Thanks for the idea, implemented in HUDSelector v1.4.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

This doesn't seem to be working properly - It's saving the HUD choice but not the linear / non linear choice, so you have to keep HUD selector loaded aboard ship to get that. This is VERY awkward if you want to use other primeable devices, e.g. I used Waypoint Here to mark 2 or 3 clumps of floating cargo, then switched to non-linear zoom to make scooping easier - only to find that my waypoints were gone.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Please try HUD Selector v1.5, if you mean to keep your scanner settings after you uninstalled the equipment then this is fixed now.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

It seemed to work at first with 1.5, but with Coluber HUD most of the indicators change position when you get a red alert - when that happened it went back to Linear and stayed that way.

I get the feeling that this HUD may be particularly awkward, which I suppose makes it a good test of the refinements to HUD Selector.
Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Captain Beatnik »

ffutures wrote:
I get the feeling that this HUD may be particularly awkward, which I suppose makes it a good test of the refinements to HUD Selector.
Hmmm... I do not think so, because Coluber HUD CH01 has nothing special. It has no scripted elements and only uses a simple hud.plist and some PNG-images for the legends.

I have set up a testconfiguration of the OXP including the keys for non linear scanner an ultrazoom. (I missed that keys in the released version because they are not mentioned in the hud.plist wiki). Works fine on my system and in combination with HUDSelector.

Try the test version and see if it works on your system.

You may download it here: https://app.box.com/s/0fjcwvpq196m1qcmrrn2

Remove the Coluber Hud OXZ via the expansion pack manager, Unzip the downloaded OXPfile an move it into your addons folder. Please let me know if it works or not.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
(Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001)
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

What should I do about HUD Selector when I try this?
Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Captain Beatnik »

ffutures wrote:
What should I do about HUD Selector when I try this?
HUDSelector should work normal with this version of Coluber HUD, you can use HUDSelector without any changes. In my installation the two OXPs work together fine without any problems.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
(Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001)
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Before I try this, I'd better mention that I've now pinned down the moment that things change - it's when I lock onto a target. It then doesn't change back until the alert status is green - sometimes not until it has gone green then yellow again. Does this help at all?

Could this have something to do with one of the other OXPs, Auto Crosshairs 1.0.4.oxp?